Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My first chronograph string results as new loader

3Dflyer

My journey has been slow and steady as I enter the action shooting sports and reloading my own ammo.  I am borrowing a friends Dillion 550, just purchased my own Competition Electronics Digital Pro chronograph.  I plan to shoot with a CZ Shadow 2 in production class for USPSA and also 3gun events.

From what I am reading, I need a power factor minimum of 125...

Blue Bullets 135 gr truncated bullets

mixed range brass

cci primers

Titegroup powder

I will attempt to attach the data summary to this post.  I see that bullet #6 was significantly out of the average range.  Head scratcher for sure.

Overall, how does this string look as a starting point?  Do most shooters attempt to get the power factor as close to 125 as possible?  I would like to hear what common strategies are for working up a load.

135-blue-tite.pdf

Here is a modified version (post edited thanks to Chucks) of the same shot string if I remove that #6 shot that was exceptionally low.  The spread and standard deviation look much better to me, but I wonder how the rest of you view this data.

I honestly have no idea of what good load data would look like.

135-blue-titeedited.pdf

Edited by 3Dflyer

The second pdf you posted was the same as the first. But I did the math with that shot thrown out and got these stats:

image.png.47fe91478a4e7448616660d0c88dc6b7.png

Most pistol shooters I know are more than happy with single-digit SD. What you have there is fine for USPSA 😉 . You could probably back off on the powder a tad since you only need ~ 926 fps min. Drop the powder charge a tad and see if you can find a load that will put you 2-3 SD above min. In addition to that, test for accuracy and also test with the timer. Something that feels "soft" may not the the best load for shooting fast and/or the most accurate.

I'd try to lower the powder charge and get closer to PF 130 - 132, but you're fine

the way you are.

Also, I'd weigh a half dozen of those bullets - they may not be exactly 135 gr.  When

you hit the chrono table, they usually weigh the bullet also to determine PF.    :) 

Those numbers look just fine from a spread and SD perspective.

Don't be disappointed if every shot string is not quite that good.

Anything single digits or even low/middle teens is more than acceptable for action pistol shooting.

As already indicated you are probably a bit faster than necessary but not absurd by any stretch.

Question: Was shot #6 from your original data a mistake or did that actually occur?

#6 shot did occur but I was so focused on learning to use a chrono that I didnt pay attention to the feel of the shot, I only know it was far out of the average because the chrono reported it. 

I qhve never used a chrono before and I installed the light diffusers even though it was terribly overcast and misty. I didnt know any better. I shot about 5 strings, but this is the first string I could get to register.   

I was trying to find the beat place to send the rounds, and I was forced to shoot nervously close to the bottom of the guide rods. 

I amy ahve felt that #6 round was vastly different, but maybe not. 

Of all the other strings I shot, I didnt notice any other light rounds. Therefore I wanted to calculate the data by throwing that one outlier aeay. 

Maybe this is a wrong approach, but I was looking for some insight on my loading consistency because I am. Beginner. 

5 minutes ago, 3Dflyer said:

Of all the other strings I shot, I didnt notice any other light rounds. Therefore I wanted to calculate the data by throwing that one outlier aeay. 

Maybe this is a wrong approach, but I was looking for some insight on my loading consistency because I am. Beginner. 

You will feel only a small difference in recoil between 138 and 125ish power factor with the same powder and bullet. People make far too much of this on the interent.

A couple flakes of powder could have floated out of that case as it was indexed, or the chrono read it incorrectly. Who knows? It happens. A lot. Don’t worry about it.

Personally I prefer to load closer to 133-137 power factor - although guys like @Hi-Power Jack will often suggest shooting for 130ish. You cannot feel the slightest bit of difference between 130 and 135pf.

Try it. Load 0.4 and 0.2 grains lighter than your current load, which should end up around 130 and 135ish PF, and go shoot them. Not just over the chrono either. Burn 4 of each into the berm out of a magazine rapid fire. See what you can feel.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

8 minutes ago, dsim4181 said:

have you considered a heavier bullet? i shoot bear creek poly coated 147 gr and they shoot really well. i shot 124's and 135's previously and they seemed to be a bit snappy in the recoil

That’s heavily dependent on shooter and gun weight and how you have it sprung.

In a metal gun with 9mm minor, a lot of us A classes and above prefer 124s. The gun’s just really sluggish with 147s, and the better your grip gets developed the less recoil impulse affects you in general. 

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Before deciding to try the shooting aports this upcoming season, my go to ammo was speer lawman 124 gr. 

I aam testing the waters to see if  reloadin is for me or not. 

I want rounds at least a good as the lawman factory ammo but at a more affordable cost to offset increased ahooting volume. 

I know it is snappy, thus leading me to search for akmething better. Your reasoning for the hot load makes perfect sense. It is very consistent and reliable, too. Currently I pay about $8.35 per box if buying 1k rounds. I hope to run a box through the chrono this next weekend to get some comparison baseline data on the lawman. 

That’s heavily dependent on shooter and gun weight and how you have it sprung.

In a metal gun with 9mm minor, a lot of us A classes and above prefer 124s. The gun’s just really sluggish with 147s, and the better your grip gets developed the less recoil impulse affects you in general. 

I second this, for me polymer gun = 147 grain and steel framed stock 2 = 124.

Ultimately one or the other is not going to give you any advantage and comes down to personal preference. Load up both to 130-135 pf try them out and decide for yourself.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Usually, unless things have changed considerably since I shot matches a lot, the Chrono staff/person will pull one bullet to check weight.  This still leaves the possibility you may have some others being checked that are not at the weight you think they are.