Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Firing pin chewed up

quliming

Hi, my firing pin is stuck in the tunnel. Hammer drops and firing pin sometimes won't come back. Had to hammer in the firing pin and take it out.

This is the second time it's happening with a newly replaced firing pin.

Looks like the firing pin spring somehow is chewing the pin. But when I took it out, the firing pin spring was in place.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Hi Qu.  Find something to ream out the firing pin tunnel.  Failing that, wrap some 600 grit thin sandpaper around the shank of a drill bit and polish the walls.  The clean very well.  That should cure your problem.

If you have a Bomar sight, check the elevation screw to see if it's too long.  Press on the firing pin with a punch and see if it binds a little.  If it does, back out the elevation screw a turn or two and see if that fixes it.  Then you can grind or file the screw a little shorter if need be.

1 hour ago, rishii said:

Which direction are you installing the firing pin spring

the tight end goes on towards the back of the FP, often it’s tight and you have to force it on, the front of the spring is wider 

55 minutes ago, TimBoettcher said:

I'd bet spring is on backwards, jumping over shoulder of f/pin.... instal tight end first, then twist until it hits shoulder.

Tim

^ This.

• 4 weeks later...

Looked at the firing pin channel, no burrs. Sight screws are not protruding. 

One thing I can think of is that some time ago, I dry fired the gun with ammo with empty primer pocket and bent the firing pin. I manually bent it back.

It could be very slightly out of alignment. But the firing pin spring was not backward, still not sure how the spring could got over the pin.

Just replaced with a new set, see how it goes.

1 hour ago, quliming said:

Looked at the firing pin channel, no burrs. Sight screws are not protruding. 

One thing I can think of is that some time ago, I dry fired the gun with ammo with empty primer pocket and bent the firing pin. I manually bent it back.

It could be very slightly out of alignment. But the firing pin spring was not backward, still not sure how the spring could got over the pin.

Just replaced with a new set, see how it goes.

Firing Pins aren't that expensive I'd never use one that had been bent, my luck it's snap off and jam up with my pistole becoming a full auto!

I took an old stock firing pin, broke off half of it and used it for dry firing.

Even better I cut a piece of leather to match a FP Stop and pull the FP, Spring & stop to dry fire.

If the firing pin bent on you previously, it should've been replaced, even if you thought you straightened it out. That is probably why it's getting stuck in the tunnel. Take out the pin, and roll it on a table along the back portion, while watching the tip. I'm sure you'll see it moving in a cicular motion, instead of constantly pointing straight.