Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC start on table without safety on.

JFK714

8 minutes ago, davidb72 said:

It seems to me that I had this same discussion on a Facebook group and I said that the shooter should be DQ'd and I had a dozen people telling me they shouldn't be.

Also - PCC is not a good fit for a pistol match.

Agree that the shooter should have been DQ’d. 

I dont not agree that PCC is not a good fit in USPSA. 

8 hours ago, davidb72 said:

It seems to me that I had this same discussion on a Facebook group and I said that the shooter should be DQ'd and I had a dozen people telling me they shouldn't be.

Also - PCC is not a good fit for a pistol match.

A lot of people even R.O.'s don't know the rules, at Open Nationals bent over to pick up steel my gun fell out of the holster, I didn't touch it, Carl the CRO came and took care of it, after i came back i heard him explaining to the other range officers why it wasn't a DQ, one was arguing with him that it is a DQ, for a dropped gun.

46 minutes ago, bret said:

A lot of people even R.O.'s don't know the rules, at Open Nationals bent over to pick up steel my gun fell out of the holster, I didn't touch it, Carl the CRO came and took care of it, after i came back i heard him explaining to the other range officers why it wasn't a DQ, one was arguing with him that it is a DQ, for a dropped gun.

Absolutely. I see it at every match at every level. 

15 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

DQ. 

I think it is a dumb assed carry over from 3 gun rule though. If you can run with scissors you can sure as heck pick them up off of a table. If we were throwing the guns in buckets it would make sense. 

It’s just trying to conform to USPSA rules. Safeties have to be on if you lay a loaded pistol down as well. Always has been that way

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

It’s just trying to conform to USPSA rules. Safeties have to be on if you lay a loaded pistol down as well. Always has been that way

I'm possibly just still pissy about it because it was an unplanned learning opportunity . . . . . 

Being on the other side of the timer though, it is a call I loathe making, we run with guns, we now have polymer guns with no external safeties & very light trigger kits, it something that the r.o. will not see if you opt for a single sided safety, but set your 2011 down without the external safety engaged and home you go. 

3 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

DQ. 

I think it is a dumb assed carry over from 3 gun rule though. If you can run with scissors you can sure as heck pick them up off of a table. If we were throwing the guns in buckets it would make sense. 

Thats an interesting comment, because I see many 3 gun rule sets going the other way with this. Many of them have moved away from a DQ for a gun dumped with the safety off and made it either a “Stage DQ” (which doesn’t exist in USPSA) where you zero the stage, or a large penalty. 

3 hours ago, DKorn said:

Thats an interesting comment, because I see many 3 gun rule sets going the other way with this. Many of them have moved away from a DQ for a gun dumped with the safety off and made it either a “Stage DQ” (which doesn’t exist in USPSA) where you zero the stage, or a large penalty. 

You will also find that most 3gun matches do not have you dumping a gun on a table mostly they have gone to the penalty not DQ rule as the dump positions have come to be built to control the direction the gun can point and keep it pointed in a safe direction. In our game we regularly set them on flat tables and barrels that have no directional control, I have seen guns on tables do a full 360 when the shooter missed their grip trying to pick it up

4 hours ago, MikeBurgess said:

You will also find that most 3gun matches do not have you dumping a gun on a table mostly they have gone to the penalty not DQ rule as the dump positions have come to be built to control the direction the gun can point and keep it pointed in a safe direction. In our game we regularly set them on flat tables and barrels that have no directional control, I have seen guns on tables do a full 360 when the shooter missed their grip trying to pick it up

Ditching a long gun or pistol in a barrel, garbage can or plastic bucket doesn't really assure the gun will point in a safe direction or even stay in the ditch barrel, seen guns bounce out, barrels flip over etc.

3 procedurals for a gun not on safe only teaches sloppy gun handling. 

Some of the sloppy 3 gun handling is now at USPSA matches with pcc.

17 hours ago, bret said:

Ditching a long gun or pistol in a barrel, garbage can or plastic bucket doesn't really assure the gun will point in a safe direction or even stay in the ditch barrel, seen guns bounce out, barrels flip over etc.

3 procedurals for a gun not on safe only teaches sloppy gun handling. 

Some of the sloppy 3 gun handling is now at USPSA matches with pcc.

Agreed