Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Let's solve your biggest problem first!

Steve Anderson

I just did a special podcast for new listeners to my show... If you struggle with consistency and typically shoot below your current level of skill, I can help you solve that forever.

Bottom line: You can can shoot your current level of skill every time you compete.

http://andersonshooting.libsyn.com

I just did a special podcast for new listeners to my show... If you struggle with consistency and typically shoot below your current level of skill, I can help you solve that forever.
Bottom line: You can can shoot your current level of skill every time you compete.

I listened to this on my way to work this morning. You’re inspiring me to get back into shooting having taken the last nine months off. I picked up a couple new pistols and tried to knock the rust off. Dang I suck! But I will get better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, bimmer1980 said:

Ok... and what´s match mode?  :) Heard a lot of burbs and farts ;) 

Shooting slow for groups = accuracy mode

Shooting as fast as you can go = speed mode

shooting the maximum pace that lets you get good hits, fast, 10 times out of 10? Match mode. Usually around 90% of however fast you can go in speed mode.

On 1/26/2019 at 11:22 AM, Steve Anderson said:

Thank you, Podfather!

Brand new listener to your podcast...i am enjoying them very much and they are extremely informative.  Especially like the speed mode and match mode concept.  Couldn't hurt to play a little Metallica!

22 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Shooting slow for groups = accuracy mode

Shooting as fast as you can go = speed mode

shooting the maximum pace that lets you get good hits, fast, 10 times out of 10? Match mode. Usually around 90% of however fast you can go in speed mode.

Do you guys train that somehow in dryfire, or is it pure feeling? I find it kind of hard to figure out whats to fast and what to slow. I tried that today in dryfire. I can do a draw in .84 with some luck. Some good, some bad draws (grip) at 1, pretty constant 1.2 to 1.3 at 10 Yards. BUT in live-fire i find it kind of hard to get 1.1 to 1.2 first shots.   

Same with some drills. In dryfire i´m pretty awesome, hahahaha! :D They feel good, nice sightpictures, nice grip, but on the range i dont come near that times or that feeling. I really try to be honest with myself in dryfire but somehow live-fire is a different game for my brain ;) At least it became much better since i started double pluggin.  

You figure that stuff out in live fire. Then make it habitual in dryfire.

Same with transitions. You’ll never learn to do a .20 transition in dryfire. Your mind has to learn that it’s easy to index on the next target much faster than you thought possible. With real live bullets. 

On 1/26/2019 at 11:39 AM, Steve Anderson said:

Hey that's great. My mission is to help every shooter enjoy the sport within their level of participation. Understanding Match Mode is the key to that.

It also turbocharges your training, which is a very nice by-product.

I'm putting to good use all of the information that you are sharing with the rest of us, especially the shot calling.

First part of Dec. my open gun was sent in to get repaired  so I'm shooting my Limited gun again. After the first 2 indoor matches with it, it dawned on me that I was not seeing the sights like I was the dot. Around that time I discovered your Podcast and that lead me to buy AND reading your books. 

I now realize that towards the end of the first season of shooting open, I was starting to call shots with the open gun during a match because when scoring targets I would say "I think I missed one on that target".  Hmmm I ask myself now if I thought I missed it, why didn't I shoot again... thanks Steve!  

So I now have a dry schedule and the callus on my support hand index finger to prove it and shooting live fire once a week, goal is learning to call the shots with confidence.

Outdoor live fire is on hold due to the cold weather however the indoor range is my once a week home and I now go with a plan on what I'm going to work on that day. 

Thanks again Steve

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 7:25 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

You figure that stuff out in live fire. Then make it habitual in dryfire.

Same with transitions. You’ll never learn to do a .20 transition in dryfire. Your mind has to learn that it’s easy to index on the next target much faster than you thought possible. With real live bullets. 

Thank you very much ! So it´s not hopeless. ;)

Nope. Even a GM has a better speed on any given drill in dryfire, than in live fire.

How do you get a consistently reliable 1.2 -1.3 draw in live fire on match day? Get really good at doing it in 0.9-1.0 in dryfire.

Kind comes right back to that whole “speed mode” vs “match mode” thing.

Honest feedback:

The sudden rock music popping up prevents me from enjoying the content.

Such a shame it wasn’t for me, because the ideas seem very interesting. I’ll have to get back to it at a different time and place for another attempt. My podcast time and place is at bed, lights out, with headphones, relaxing.. then some loud music pops up when I’m trying to absorb an idea.... couldn’t do it. 

Edited by DRM9

I just hit the pause button if I need to reflect on what I heard.  Steve is pretty good at foreshadowing when the music is about to play.  Sometimes I go back a second time and replay the parts I need to hear again.  This is much easier on my laptop than my phone.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, getting old sucks.  But it beats the alternative.  Seriously, if you are "tired all the time", there is a reason.  Get a physician you trust to give you a good checkup.  Then follow his advice.  It may be that you have an unidentified health issue.  Or it could be your diet.  Getting up, getting busy and exercising does WONDERS for aging.  Sometimes "old" is between your ears.  YOU have the ability to address the issues.  Good luck!!

Been there, done that. (Age 71)

Over the last five (5) years I have had:

Plantar fasciatis surgery

Cataract surgery and implants - both eyes

"Mini-stroke+ (TIA)

Cancer

Severe hypertension

Supraventricular tachycardia

Open heart double-bypass surgery, followed by tough recovery - kept going for 6 days on a ventilator - diagnosed with pneumonia

Spine surgery (bilateral hemilaminotomy)

All of that crap is behind me and under control.  Weight is better than it has been in years.  I work with a professional trainer three times a week, and seldom if ever miss a session.  Shoot two pistol matches every week.  Take care of both my homes and the work associated with them.  (One in the Phoenix area and one in the mountains).  Get out and explore the desert and mountains in my Jeep and UTV when I can find time.

Just do it, man!