Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cerakote vs. kydex?

currahee1911

You get really sweet wear patterns that give your gun the "I'm a gun that gets used" look. Mostly along the muzzle end of the slide and along the top of the slide and trigger guard area.

I really like this look. If you don't, maybe hard chrome is for you.

23 hours ago, robertg5322 said:

You get really sweet wear patterns that give your gun the "I'm a gun that gets used" look. Mostly along the muzzle end of the slide and along the top of the slide and trigger guard area.

I really like this look. If you don't, maybe hard chrome is for you.

Yea I would much rather have wear marks than a pristine look.  Reminds me what I'm there to do.

Honestly, I did my G34 slide and for a long time before putting a comp on it I used a kydex holster exclusively. And there isn’t a single scratch of sign of holster wear. I had read prior to doing it that cerakote was really durable, and my experience confirmed it.

But since getting on here I read all these stories of it not being durable and wearing fast. My experience is/was great with it. I must had drawn from my kydex  holster thousands and thousands of times with it an it looks as good as they day I had it done. Then when I put the comp on I obviously couldn’t use a regular holster anymore and went to a race holste , an 014, and wirh that I can’t imagine it will ever wear. I’m actually in the process of getting my 2011 cerakoted now. Cerkote, 50-100 bucks, DLC or PVD, 600. I could re cerakote my gun every year if it actually did wear and still save money. With a race holster I don’t expect the finish to wear at all. 

My cerakoted 34 after shooting and holstering it in a kydex holster has some wear right along the edges of the slide towards the front.

Talked to a very competent gunsmith about this and he said check the inside for dust & sand. Being in Texas we have some pretty dusty ranges. Sure enough there was a pretty good coating. Started wiping it out after each match when the wind/range is bad and have reduced the wear quite a bit.

gerritm

I've used kydex and cerakote quite a bit. I've experienced very little wear if any at all. 

I think maybe some who experience poor durability may be due to the prep/process of applying cerakoteCerakote has a strict preparation process. If that isn't followed or if it's not baked correctly,  it isn't durable at all!

I've seen poor cerakote jobs and I've seen good cerakote jobs. So do homework on the guy/shop who is doing it!

17 hours ago, Jfitz427 said:

Honestly, I did my G34 slide and for a long time before putting a comp on it I used a kydex holster exclusively. And there isn’t a single scratch of sign of holster wear. I had read prior to doing it that cerakote was really durable, and my experience confirmed it.

But since getting on here I read all these stories of it not being durable and wearing fast. My experience is/was great with it. I must had drawn from my kydex  holster thousands and thousands of times with it an it looks as good as they day I had it done. Then when I put the comp on I obviously couldn’t use a regular holster anymore and went to a race holste , an 014, and wirh that I can’t imagine it will ever wear. I’m actually in the process of getting my 2011 cerakoted now. Cerkote, 50-100 bucks, DLC or PVD, 600. I could re cerakote my gun every year if it actually did wear and still save money. With a race holster I don’t expect the finish to wear at all. 

Not sure where you got those prices, but I haven't found anyone who will Cerakote on a complete gun for $50-100.  Most I've seen are $200 and up.  And DLC/PVD for $600?  I'd say $400 is about average, unless you're sending to someone who's sending it to someone else.  Personally, I think black nitride is a  better alternative (unless you want a fancy color or something). 

Edited by ltdmstr

I got a 1911 slide, frame, BTGS, slide stop and ambi safeties done for $200.00.

Took another slide and frame and got the returning customer price of $100.00.

Both basic black.

Both looked great. Both show wear at muzzle end of slide, top of slide and trigger guard. Exactly fly where my Glocks and M&Ps show wear.

Any coating will wear, some faster than others. Cerakote is better than a rattle can, but not indestructable. I'm in Califirnia, so theres a layer of dust in my holster which probably made the wear happen incrementally faster. Don't care enough to wipe down my holster, ever. In fact I kind of like the wear. Like a patina earned through honest use.

if you want your gun to beimmaculate, don't use it.

• 4 weeks later...