Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Arch pain when walking, jogging?

matir

As mentioned in another thread, I'm trying to go from couch potato to competition shooter.  :)  Unfortunately, whenever I try to walk for an extended period of time (>10 minutes) or jog at all, I get significant cramping arch pain.  I've tried changing to different shoes, using Dr. Scholls inserts (recommended by their automated kiosk that selects the "right" one for your foot), and nothing is helping.  Anyone have experience with this and found something that works?  I suspect I should see a podiatrist, but was hoping for some other (cheaper?) options.

I have the same issue getting back in shape after 4 kids. I found walking slower and focus on relaxing your legs. For me tension/burning spiked at 7-8 mins.  By 15 mins I was loose enough to pick up the pace again.  Keep at it. I was up to 4 miles in an hour after a couple months. Amazing how quick your body gets out of shape. I'm mad at myself when I don't keep active enough to keep those kinds of pains at bay.

Dr scholls are junk.  You probably need real inserts. Heat moldables like SOLE or Form premium. Which are actually cheaper than those Dr scholls. 
You also need shoes that fit and are shaped right. Although again, another sore spot.
PX has a sign on every isle about different feet types.. and yet they only ever stock shoes for one type of foot.
Id take a pair of worn shoes to a real shoe store like NewBalance... ( not an outlet)  suck it up one time on price and get them to recommend model numbers.
Also time to be honest with yourself,,, I mean I don't know you you could be a stringbean.. But take an honest look at your weight. 
Seems I know lots of people with "Bad " knees or feet,,, needing this device, this shot or this surgery  yet they are 100 plus lbs over weight.  Umm ur knees are fine, its the load.. LOL
Myself included by the way, get swollen knees, hurt feet, yadda yadda... Lost 70 lbs.. did wonders I feel better at 50 than I did at 30

46 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

Dr scholls are junk.  You probably need real inserts. Heat moldables like SOLE or Form premium. Which are actually cheaper than those Dr scholls. 
You also need shoes that fit and are shaped right. Although again, another sore spot.
PX has a sign on every isle about different feet types.. and yet they only ever stock shoes for one type of foot.
Id take a pair of worn shoes to a real shoe store like NewBalance... ( not an outlet)  suck it up one time on price and get them to recommend model numbers.
Also time to be honest with yourself,,, I mean I don't know you you could be a stringbean.. But take an honest look at your weight. 
Seems I know lots of people with "Bad " knees or feet,,, needing this device, this shot or this surgery  yet they are 100 plus lbs over weight.  Umm ur knees are fine, its the load.. LOL
Myself included by the way, get swollen knees, hurt feet, yadda yadda... Lost 70 lbs.. did wonders I feel better at 50 than I did at 30

Oh, no, it's definitely my weight.  :)  I'm 5'11" and ~300 lbs, so I'm well into that 100 lbs overweight.  Unfortunately, exercise is necessary to get that under control, and exercise is much easier to make sustainable if it's not painful as well.

Thanks for the tip on other inserts and getting properly fitted.  I'll give that a try this weekend!

talk to a nutritionist, and cut out the carbs, you will never exercise off the weight.  Excess weight has alot more to do with diet than exercise. BUt yeh once you loose weight will be alot better. I didnt do much running , hated it from Army days was always in pain...  Lost the weight, no more pain. Kinda came together.
Good luck to you,,,  You will feel WAY WAY better getting in shape... Will kinda suck getting there , but kinda grows on you.

6 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

talk to a nutritionist, and cut out the carbs, you will never exercise off the weight.  Excess weight has alot more to do with diet than exercise. BUt yeh once you loose weight will be alot better. I didnt do much running , hated it from Army days was always in pain...  Lost the weight, no more pain. Kinda came together.
Good luck to you,,,  You will feel WAY WAY better getting in shape... Will kinda suck getting there , but kinda grows on you.

Yeah, it's hard.  Carbs (and beer, which is just more carbs) are currently how I deal with stress...  Which, of course, is how I got into this state in the first place.

Get a rowing machine, 5000 mts a day can be done in 30’ , do it 5 days a week and you will be surprised... then you can start running if desired. Recommend Concept 2 .... don’t work for them, just my experience ( I hate running).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You know about weight and exercise. It sounds like you have https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/plantar-fasciitis/symptoms-causes/syc-20354846 I get it often from a lifetime of basketball and left untreated it can last along time. I ice the bottom of the foot at the first signs and this ussually works. I take a baggie and fill it 1/2 with ice and 1/4 with water. I make sure the air is out and put this bag in another in case of a leak. If a day or 2 of this does not work a cortisone shot always works for me.

I agree. Sounds like Plantar Fasciitis. I dealt with this condition for years. I would run for 3-5 miles and my left foot would just be in severe pain. I saw a foot doctor 3 years ago and I haven’t had an issue since.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So what did the foot doctor do for you??

I had Plantar Fasciitis a few years ago and saw a foot doctor several times.  Was given a regimen of stretching exercises to use.  They didn't work.  Was prescribed a a brace-like device to wear at night that kept my arch stretched.  That didn't work.   Received a series of three cortisone shots over a period of about 5-6 months. They resolved the discomfort for about 7-10 days each time.  Finally had surgery and the problem appears to have been permanently resolved.  No problems since surgery in mid-2013.

If I ever experience similar problems in the other foot, I plan to go to surgery immediately.

Matir 

Consider that the arch of your foot is at the end of a long chain of muscles. It’s. Dry likely that your foot pain is actually caused by tight hamstrings. If you sit at work this can also cause low back pain when you stand. 

Try some deliberate stretching through the day. Focus on hamstring and hip mobility. It helped my foot pain quite a bit after a bad hip injury. YMMV. 

you may have plantat faciatis. A doctor can help determine that and a treatment plan. My experience with podiatrists is that they are more concerned with billable visits than treatment outcomes. Choose carefully. 

Plantar Fasciitis maybe the diagnosis but it is not the Rx for improvement.

You are overweight which is above and beyond what a typical shoe is meant to carry.  

The advice of going to a quality store to buy the best shoe you can afford is great.  When I was a running 10K and 1/2 Marathons, some 30 years ago, I changed my shoes every 300 miles, I rotated my training shoe to my everyday shoe and purchased new shoes.  I had friends that worked in a sporting goods store so I got to try a bunch of brands.  Nike fit me the best, friends loved NB, Brooks etc.  Runner World used to do an evaluation of shoes, check them out.

I went with Superfeet and never looked back.  READ the instructions.  Start using them a little bit at a time.  For me they put me in a more neutral position starting with my feet, knees and hips.

Along with a few cortisone shots. My foot doctor had me try Superfeet inserts, first and if they didn’t work the next step for me was custom inserts. I have high arches and need support from my shoe inserts to keep the tendon stretched.

Admittedly I was skeptical at first but they worked and a lot cheaper then custom inserts. Doc said surgery is a last resort and for some that’s what they need. For me all I ended up needing is Superfeet inserts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk