Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Accurate no. 2

Shep

Not ACME, but I have used it with 147gr BBI coated.  It was great for 9mm minor, but I steered toward other powders.

AA2 and American Select are (in my mind) the two great 9mm minor powders very few people talk about.  

Awesome, I'm making some up now. Making a ladder starting at 3 grains and adding .2 grains going  up to 3.6 and will try to test tomorrow if it's not pouring rain. First time with this powder, a little nervous.

Edited by Shep

Can use Shootersworld Cleanshot... Its the older #2. I looked at it but as its a nitrobased powder I thought it might have the same drawbacks as tightgroup with coated bullets. Sl just staying with that until I can find  Sport Pistol

I have a lot of it and use 3.4 with 147 SNS from a KKM barrel Glock 34.  It works fine.  It meters amazingly accurate.  It seems smokier than Bullseye using coated bullets.  It is easily makes PF with .40 so it's nice to have it around.  It makes the the powder hopper turn grayish/black which is slightly annoying. 

Edited by nwhpfan

Got to try this powder with some Acme 147 and it was really good, 3.2 grains ran well and grouped nice. It is a soft shooter, I was a little surprised how well the gun ran, the brass was only getting tossed about 2 feet. 

On 1/20/2019 at 8:17 AM, nwhpfan said:

I have a lot of it and use 3.4 with 147 SNS from a KKM barrel Glock 34.  It works fine.  It meters amazingly accurate.  It seems smokier than Bullseye using coated bullets.  It is easily makes PF with .40 so it's nice to have it around.  It makes the the powder hopper turn grayish/black which is slightly annoying. 

What is your AA#2 load for 40SW? 

• 4 weeks later...

I just started using AA#2 again after a long while since I last used it.  It picked up right where I remembered it, soft, clean and accurate.  My old powder measure leaked like crazy with it due to the tiny, almost talcum powder size granules it has so I switched powders instead of switching powder measures.  Now I use the Hornady and auto drum measures and don't have the leaking issue anymore, glad to have it back on my bench.

Using 4.0gr under Precision Delta JHP, gives me 130PF like clockwork and feels great out of my Sig 320X5.  Also use 3.8gr under Acme 122gr FP coated lead for about the same PF and feel.  Using the Acme's for practice and the PD JHP for matches.

Edited by dave33

Has anyone noticed significant temperature dependence with AA2? I don't have my load data with me but IIRC about 20yrs ago I worked up AA7 and AA2 9mm loads and had accuracy problems develop when the temp dropped into the 30's and 40's. Wisconsin fall weather.