Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Ti Cylinder

Randy Lee

Hypothetically speaking, if someone were to make a 9mm Ti cylinder that would retrofit into the 627 8 shot 38/357, would anyone be interested?

Possibly. Especially if you could show me a pointy 9mm .357 bullet and some Hearthco 9mm brass friendly moonclips to go with it. Hypothetically :)

Hypothetically speaking, if someone were to make a 9mm Ti cylinder that would retrofit into the 627 8 shot 38/357, would anyone be interested?

Possibly. Especially if you could show me a pointy 9mm .357 bullet and some Hearthco 9mm brass friendly moonclips to go with it. Hypothetically :)

Well, the moonclips are ready anyways. :D

I think the 686 is a popular model. You might sell more if you made it for the 686. Gauge interest as well on the Smith-Wesson forum as I am sure they would be in for a few.

Regards,

D.C. Johnson

Yes--I'd be interested. For steel and ICORE and various other stuff, I'd love to be able to buy Wally World White Box on my way to the match. I do enough reloading already and finding time always seems to be a problem for me....

HOWEVER--cost would be an issue, too. I would not be interested in spending $300 for a Ti cylinder and then $8-10 apiece for 30 or 40 moonclips.

Other than being a cool novelty to own, I can't think of a competitive application for a moonclipped 9mm 6/7-shot L-frame. Would have been perfect for the old SSR (even better than my 646 was), but not under the new rules.

What's up with the anti-K frame bias? Shoot, I'd buy another M10 just so I could have an extra gun to convert. While we're dreaming ;) how about a M347 - 9x19, scandium frame, titanium cylinder?

If you're gonna dream, dream big! :D

Accuracy would be somewhat impaired unless the barrel is Taylor throated with the .355 bullets.

Again the proverbial Guinea Pig here, I'll be using .355 Montana Gold jhps in 38 short colt cases going thru a .357 Shilen tube at the Steel Challenge. Accuracy is not stellar, but enough to hit the 35 yd plates. Slightly different bird, but the concept is the same. The Taylor throat allows the bullet to get better alignment before it engages the rifling. So far it's working. The problem of poor accuracy with shorter cases, such as .45 gap, 38sc can be helped with the more gentle Taylor throating angle in the forcing cone.

There are bullet manufacturers making .357 dia. bullets like the 147gr West Coast copper plated bullets.

Once the prototypes are complete, they will be tested for accuracy out of a Ransom and I'll report the results here.

...hypothetically speaking, I think it's a GREAT idea!!!...speaking for myself, I've got ONE 627--a "V-Comp"...and about a DOZEN L-frames...hint, hint...wonder if a SEVEN-shot L-frame cylinder in 9mm is a possibility???...that would make a good steel and ICORE gun, IMHO....mikey357

I guess add 1 or 2 more to the list .... BUT

I'd like to see a shortened version, no sense spining all that metal around

when you only need what ?? 1.25-1.30 inches maybe ??

And how's about a generic cylinder ?? 8 shot, bored thru with flutes and slots and

all the needed stuff but chambered as needed.

Want a Short Colt cylinder, 9mm, 38 Long Colt, 38 Spcl !! let me grab my chambering reamer here (course with Ti that may not be so easy)

Course if your going to Ti becuse of the peening/longevity issue what about that

induction hardening deal ?

My biggest concern would be "retro-fit", what ever you do don't call it

"drop in fit" or "semi-drop in fit".

If you could use a 3D solid model of this deal send me a note, I have one all

draw up.

ps. There was a guy named Baumann that made a bunch of 7 shot .357 cylindera

a few years back, lots of pin shooters bought those puppies.

Maybe you already know this but the 38 super moons work very well with the

9mm cases, sometimes even better.

(maybe I should go back to just reading, you guys knowo this stuff)

The esteemed Mr. Hearth is spearheading the cause. He made an awesome prototype which was a near drop in for the 38 super 627. I got to see it and fire it once. I now wish I had the opportunity to do the T and E on it because now it is nowhere to be seen. I didn't get a chance to do accuracy testing or wear tests, but reports Dave told me was that accuracy was excellent. When the new protos are run( and assuming Dave lets me) I will see how well it will work in the durability and accuracy departments.

The original Dave made was out of stainless. Depending on raw material costs, Ti is the first choice followed by stainless.

The unfluted version will be the least expensive due to less machining operations.

I'm still researching the appropriate alloy and desired characteristics to be selected and of course, cost.

The esteemed Mr. Hearth is spearheading the cause. He made an awesome prototype which was a near drop in for the 38 super 627. I got to see it and fire it once. I now wish I had the opportunity to do the T and E on it because now it is nowhere to be seen. I didn't get a chance to do accuracy testing or wear tests, but reports Dave told me was that accuracy was excellent. When the new protos are run( and assuming Dave lets me) I will see how well it will work in the durability and accuracy departments.

The original Dave made was out of stainless. Depending on raw material costs, Ti is the first choice followed by stainless.

The unfluted version will be the least expensive due to less machining operations.

I'm still researching the appropriate alloy and desired characteristics to be selected and of course, cost.

I guess in Ti we wouldn't need the flutes, I was still thinking stainless.

And I more or less kind of drifted (noooo please don't move me Mr Mod :o)

the thread, IMO there is a market for multiple caliber options in revo cylinders,

I myself am looking for a short chambered cyl right now, I just can't decide what

cartridge length.

One really nagging problem I have with a 9mm cylinder....

If you want it so you can buy ammo close to a shoot then you better get used to

the heavier trigger pulls, stock ammo primers I don't think will work with ultra lite

triggers. (careful Randy, you may loose one product for another)

Oh....and I just gotta say......all revo cylinders should have flutes B)

10mmdave makes a good point about factory ammo and hard primers - but I guess most competitive shooters reload...

What about bore dia? .355 barrel would be my preference lots of 9mm and 38super bullet head options out there - what about twist rate? - would the barrel be designed for use with light or heavy bullets in mind?

And Randy, if you need a 627 to borrow for a prototype let me know - I also have a spare S+W 38 super barrel - I'd be happy to do some testing :D

Paul

Dave, I think Federal American Eagle 9mm ammo would be the best choice for cheapie factory ammo for those who do not want to reload 9mm (including me) in a gun with a way-lightened action. I think you could also still get an action reasonably light and make it work with Winchester White Box.

NOW--what is that you're saying about using .38 Super moonclips with 9mm brass? Are some of you guys running 9mm reloads through your .38 Super 627s or what?

(I know from first-hand experience that doesn't work with factory ammo.....)

Dave, I think Federal American Eagle 9mm ammo would be the best choice for cheapie factory ammo for those who do not want to reload 9mm (including me) in a gun with a way-lightened action.  I think you could also still get an action reasonably light and make it work with Winchester White Box. 

NOW--what is that you're saying about using .38 Super moonclips with 9mm brass?  Are some of you guys running 9mm reloads through your .38 Super 627s or what?

(I know from first-hand experience that doesn't work with factory ammo.....)

I agree Mike, I tried the 9mm in the 38 super clip and,as you said, that dosen't work. I wonder if the clips hold the casing at an odd angle as to jam them in the cylinder. Is there another moonclip available for the 9mm? The 9mm seem to fit in the the charge holes fine.

If the Ti cylinder is made I vote for one to fit the 627-4