Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help with Acme HI TEK Coated 9mm 147 Gr. FP-NLG

freedoms

This is the first time I’ve try to load 9mm. I’m using PMC cartridge with Acme HI TEK Coated 9mm 147 Gr. FP-NLG. I’m thinking of starting out with 4.5 Alliant Power Pistol OAL 1.13. I need recheck this also any input on this would be great. I’m setting up the dies and I did the plunk test with a Dillon 9mm pistol gage, then tested in the barrel of Sig P320 all fitted great. I crimp the cartridge till it passed the plunk test the crimp diameters of ~.379". When I look at the cartridge I can see the bullet bulge out from the Cast. Is this right you may be able to see it in the picture I've attached. Thank for any help with this.

IMG_0977.JPG

Looks normal and fine. Run it.

But first do like @Hi-Power Jack suggested and pull a bullet. There should be no sign of the case being crimped into the side of the bullet.

The most important things to do for coated bullets is give the mouth plenty of flare and then BARELY return the case wall to straight. Delete all the belling and stop there.

On 12/21/2018 at 1:43 AM, freedoms said:

I crimp the cartridge till it passed the plunk test the crimp diameters of ~.379".

Nothing wrong with that cartridge.  

BUT... regarding process, you don't plunk test to determine crimp.  Every 9mm chamber will take  .380 or smaller.  You didn't need to use your barrel or a case gauge to assess that.  A crimp of .379 will work fine every time, every 9mm pistol.

4.5 grains of Power Pistol @ 1.130 OAL might be a little warm with the 147 grain bullet.  If I remember correctly the Lyman Cast Bullet loading manual starts at 4.1 grains.  I backed that down to 3.9 grains in my XDM 5.25 and made powder factor of 129 with good results using basically the same bullet.  I've found 3.0 grains of Sports Pistol using the same bullet works even better...cleaner...less recoil and better consistency in extreme spread and standard deviation.