Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blitkrieg buffer failure

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/16/2019 at 2:56 AM, Flatland Shooter said:

Has anyone with trigger reset problems and a Blitzkrieg buffer solved the problem with hotter ammo? 

In practice, not a single problem with trigger resets.  But in a recent match, I had lots of problems. Turned my AR9 into a lever action gun.

My thoughts are that in practice I'm holding the gun tight into my shoulder but in the heat of a match stage, I trying to get by with a looser grip.

I'm running the RB5007 with a JP .308 carbine spring and 134 PF ammo.  I've loaded up some ~138 PF rounds to play with.  Maybe that will solve the problem.

I have a 5007 and 5105HD (plus the 2.6oz weight)

Yesterday I set my 16" up with the 5105HD, 2.6 oz weight, and the .308 JP rifle length spring that came with my 5007 and I had zero issue with 132 pf ammo. It's insanely soft and when I shot it I had no malfunctions however a friend shot it and had a few issues because I don't think he was holding tight enough.

Blitzkrieg says on their site you may have to try different buffer springs to get it exactly where you want it but I can tell you that with PF being in the mid 130s you shouldn't have any problems and it'll be a soft, reliable setup.

On 12/31/2018 at 1:24 PM, HoMiE said:

In my initial quick test trying both 5007 and 5015hd it was hard to tell any difference with the same load between buffers. 

Try adding the weight Blitzkrieg also sells, you'll notice a huge difference. It's only $20

I did this yesterday at the range. A 5007 w/ .308 rifle spring vs a 5015HD with their 2.6oz weight and the same JP .308 rifle spring.

Massive difference in the way it shoots.

also just realized I keep calling it a 5105HD on all my posts referring to it...🙄

27 minutes ago, mellino19 said:

Try adding the weight Blitzkrieg also sells, you'll notice a huge difference. It's only $20

I did this yesterday at the range. A 5007 w/ .308 rifle spring vs a 5015HD with their 2.6oz weight and the same JP .308 rifle spring.

Massive difference in the way it shoots.

also just realized I keep calling it a 5105HD on all my posts referring to it...🙄

I’ve tried many different sizes and weights, I run the 2.6oz with shooting innovations bolt since it’s ligjter than my qc10 bolt. 

29 minutes ago, mellino19 said:

I've got the Blitkrieg weight to use with my RB5007 and its a bit tight in my PSA buffer tubes.  It drags just enough that the gun feels real sluggish and fails to feed the next round into the chamber.

I saw where someone had the same problem and sanded down the circumference with fine grit sandpaper.

Is this commonly necessary?

5 minutes ago, Flatland Shooter said:

I've got the Blitkrieg weight to use with my RB5007 and its a bit tight in my PSA buffer tubes.  It drags just enough that the gun feels real sluggish and fails to feed the next round into the chamber.

I saw where someone had the same problem and sanded down the circumference with fine grit sandpaper.

I have seen others mention that with the weight as well, but I haven't had that issue with mine. I forgot who makes the buffer tube to even offer inside to manufacturing differences.

15 minutes ago, Flatland Shooter said:

I had issues with the weight being to big for my bcm tube. I cut sand paper twisting the weight in the sandpaper. I then used 000 steel wool the same way.  I haven’t had any issues my last 3 matches. I tried with red sprinco, jp carbine and jp rifle. I prefer the jp rifle with the weight. 

So with those using the weight.....are we talking the 5.9 oz 5007/5015 Blitzkreig, the 2.6 oz weight, AND a weighted BCG?  Because if used with a non-weighted BCG, isn't it essentially the same as just using a weighted BCG, or is it for the short-stroking.

Edited by MoRivera
10 minutes ago, MoRivera said:

So with those using the weight.....are we taking the 5.9 oz 5007/5015 Blitzkreig, the 2.6 oz weight, AND a weighted BCG?  Because if used with a non-weighted BCG, isn't it essentially the same as just using a weighted BCG, or is it for the short-stroking.

If just used for short stroking I'd keep using quarters.   So I plan on leaving the weight in the bolt.  But since I like to experiment, at some point I will also try a lighter bolt.  I'm hoping the heavier system will be perfect for my needs.

I spent around 40 minutes sanding down the circumference of the weight and it now moves in the buffer tube much smoother. Since the buffer tube is aluminum, after a couple hundred rounds the stainless steel weight may wear away a bit of the tube for a proper fit.   If necessary, I can alway trim it a bit more.

1 hour ago, MoRivera said:

So with those using the weight.....are we taking the 5.9 oz 5007/5015 Blitzkreig, the 2.6 oz weight, AND a weighted BCG?  Because if used with a non-weighted BCG, isn't it essentially the same as just using a weighted BCG, or is it for the short-stroking.

I use a weighted bcg, blitzkrieg weight in front of the 5015 buffer in a jp 308 rifle spring. If I remember correctly from my conversation with Brian the weight is the keep the buffer more stable, short stoke and add lock up time forcing more gas down the barrel. 

3 hours ago, Bwillis said:

I use a weighted bcg, blitzkrieg weight in front of the 5015 buffer in a jp 308 rifle spring. If I remember correctly from my conversation with Brian the weight is the keep the buffer more stable, short stoke and add lock up time forcing more gas down the barrel. 

That sure seems like a lot of weight flopping around to disrupt dot movement. What is your total reciprocal mass, like 24 oz.+?

25 minutes ago, bwikel said:

That sure seems like a lot of weight flopping around to disrupt dot movement. What is your total reciprocal mass, like 24 oz.+?

26 oz total, it is a lot of weight. I’ve tried a lot of different buffers/spring combos with/without bcg weights, wave springs, different sized spacers( preloading main spring and not). This is by far the best combo I’ve tried. Working transitions today 3 uspsa targets 1 yard apart 10 yards 2 shots per target. my fastest with bcg weight, blitzkrieg weight 5015 and jp rifle was fastest was 1.91, average was 2.06 giving .5 seconds non a. Out of 15 runs with each gun I had 4 c 0 d and 0 m. Also tried 5015 red sprinco 1/2 delrin spacer, wave spring fastest was 2.08 average 2.18 had 8c 0d 0m. Call Brian he can explain the reason behind it but 22-26 oz is what he said was ideal. It’s not sluggish and my dot doesn’t move at all I can still get .12-.14 splits. 

Edited by Bwillis
1 hour ago, bwikel said:

When you go too light and the bolt goes back very fast and bottoms out seems to cause more dot movement than a heavier setup. 

1 hour ago, Bwillis said:

26 oz total, it is a lot of weight. I’ve tried a lot of different buffers/spring combos with/without bcg weights, wave springs, different sized spacers( preloading main spring and not). This is by far the best combo I’ve tried. Working transitions today 3 uspsa targets 1 yard apart 10 yards 2 shots per target. my fastest with bcg weight, blitzkrieg weight 5015 and jp rifle was fastest was 1.91, average was 2.06 giving .5 seconds non a. Out of 15 runs with each gun I had 4 c 0 d and 0 m. Also tried 5015 red sprinco 1/2 delrin spacer, wave spring fastest was 2.08 average 2.18 had 8c 0d 0m. Call Brian he can explain the reason behind it but 22-26 oz is what he said was ideal. It’s not sluggish and my dot doesn’t move at all I can still get .12-.14 splits. 

Wouldn't a doubles drill be a better assessment of dot movement instead of throwing transitions into the mix?

4 hours ago, HoMiE said:

When you go too light and the bolt goes back very fast and bottoms out seems to cause more dot movement than a heavier setup. 

Thing is, I've found that with lighter-shooting 124-gr, as opposed to hotter 115-gr, the rifle 'sways' more upwards and feels more slo-mo, and it takes longer for the dot to come back down to target...whereas there's more 'jolt' with the 115-gr but it's straight back and I'm back on target sooner.  I find this to be even moreso the heavier the buffer I've tried.  Maybe because it isn't bottoming out as much and is sort of just suspending there?

What concerned me was that with lighter/faster cycling, it may be beating up both the buffer's (RB5000) chamber as well as the rifle so I stepped up a little in weight (RB5005) but so far more weight and lighter loads has just felt more sluggish overall.

5 hours ago, bwikel said:

Wouldn't a doubles drill be a better assessment of dot movement instead of throwing transitions into the mix?

A bill drill would probably be better than doubles. Thing is I wasn’t working on doubles or bills today, I was working on transitions. The transitions I was doing incorporated doubles. Out of  15 strings , 6 round strings 90 rounds total I had 86 alpha 4 Charlie with that setup. I would venture to say Brian and homie are on to something. I forgot to mention earlier homie also recommended this setup to me. 

Edited by Bwillis

There's no absolutes here.  It's possible to spend your days constantly tinkering with a spring or a weight or a load and "testing".  I think this basically comes down to two approaches.

Snappy charge with snappy dot return.

Light charge with little dot movement.

I like the latter, but have shot both.  My .02 is a higher charge benefits from a heavier stroke to help absorb the energy.  I also think the weight was added to protect the buffer because so many were breaking. Love my Blitzkrieg, but I have Taccom one as a backup because I expect the Blitkrieg to fail eventually.

9 hours ago, MoRivera said:

Thing is, I've found that with lighter-shooting 124-gr, as opposed to hotter 115-gr, the rifle 'sways' more upwards and feels more slo-mo, and it takes longer for the dot to come back down to target...whereas there's more 'jolt' with the 115-gr but it's straight back and I'm back on target sooner.  I find this to be even moreso the heavier the buffer I've tried.  Maybe because it isn't bottoming out as much and is sort of just suspending there?

What concerned me was that with lighter/faster cycling, it may be beating up both the buffer's (RB5000) chamber as well as the rifle so I stepped up a little in weight (RB5005) but so far more weight and lighter loads has just felt more sluggish overall.

I agree that when you drop down in PF too much it does start to feel sluggish. 135-140pf seems to be a sweet spot, not to harsh, not to sluggish.

3 hours ago, longbeard said:

There's no absolutes here.  It's possible to spend your days constantly tinkering with a spring or a weight or a load and "testing".  I think this basically comes down to two approaches.

Snappy charge with snappy dot return.

Light charge with little dot movement.

I like the latter, but have shot both.  My .02 is a higher charge benefits from a heavier stroke to help absorb the energy.  I also think the weight was added to protect the buffer because so many were breaking. Love my Blitzkrieg, but I have Taccom one as a backup because I expect the Blitkrieg to fail eventually.

Yeah the first is definitely what I'm getting, but I don't reload so I get Blazer Brass 115-gr in bulk.

I agree that when you drop down in PF too much it does start to feel sluggish. 135-140pf seems to be a sweet spot, not to harsh, not to sluggish.

Yep it's weird, sort of counter-intuitive from my pistols.  I'm guessing that if I wanted to stick with the slower 124/147 loads, I'd probably have to lighten things in etc buffer/bcg, but I don't want to induce yet more stress on the gun.  Since I live in CT, I had to pay quite a bit for a pre-ban lower, so I don't want to send it to too early of a grave.

Edited by MoRivera
19 hours ago, MoRivera said:

So with those using the weight.....are we talking the 5.9 oz 5007/5015 Blitzkreig, the 2.6 oz weight, AND a weighted BCG?  Because if used with a non-weighted BCG, isn't it essentially the same as just using a weighted BCG, or is it for the short-stroking.

Brian over at Blitzkrieg said only use the 5007 with the .308 rifle spring although I'm sure you could put a stack of quarters or something at the end of the buffer tube to adjust stroke. I have the 2.6 oz weigh in front of the 5015HD with nothing behind the .308 spring and it's a short stroke setup now. The HD buffer with the weight is intended for a short stroke system.

My JP bolt is definitely a bit softer with the 5015HD/2.6oz weight than my Foxtrot Mike bolt however JP is on a 16" where the FM is on a 14.5" - I believe the JP bolt weighs like 13.7oz and the FM bolt is around 14.9 oz or so. the FM has a weight that can removed but I haven't played around with removing it at all to see how it performs.

I've seen you post on some other PCC posts so forgive me if I'm repeating myself since I probably start saying the same things on them, but if you want ammo that isn't as harsh as factory 115gr Blazer, check out Federal Syntech 124gr or 147gr ammo...hell even their 115gr. They're all minor power factor, I think they're all around 130-135 pf which as we're kind of seeing on posts seems to be a sweet spot for PCC loads. 

I don't think you'll ruin your lower mixing things around like that either but I know the feeling.

2 hours ago, mellino19 said:

Brian over at Blitzkrieg said only use the 5007 with the .308 rifle spring although I'm sure you could put a stack of quarters or something at the end of the buffer tube to adjust stroke. I have the 2.6 oz weigh in front of the 5015HD with nothing behind the .308 spring and it's a short stroke setup now. The HD buffer with the weight is intended for a short stroke system.

My JP bolt is definitely a bit softer with the 5015HD/2.6oz weight than my Foxtrot Mike bolt however JP is on a 16" where the FM is on a 14.5" - I believe the JP bolt weighs like 13.7oz and the FM bolt is around 14.9 oz or so. the FM has a weight that can removed but I haven't played around with removing it at all to see how it performs.

I've seen you post on some other PCC posts so forgive me if I'm repeating myself since I probably start saying the same things on them, but if you want ammo that isn't as harsh as factory 115gr Blazer, check out Federal Syntech 124gr or 147gr ammo...hell even their 115gr. They're all minor power factor, I think they're all around 130-135 pf which as we're kind of seeing on posts seems to be a sweet spot for PCC loads. 

I don't think you'll ruin your lower mixing things around like that either but I know the feeling.

Yes I'm going to look into the Syntech.  The Blazer I've found to be gentler than several other factory 115's like WWB or Federal, or UMC.  There is a cheap Federal White Box 'Range Target Practice' that shoots pretty mildly but it is very smokey and I like that the Blazer is a completely plated bullet (including the base) that leaves less lead buildup, and its velocity if listed relatively low (around 1125).  I like the blazer in my handguns and shoot it well, so it makes it easy when I get it in bulk locally.  But if the Syntech really does shoot softer and doesn't feel sluggish, then I'll definitely pick up a bunch for matches solely for the PCC.  Little more money, but averaging only 150 rds or so per match with way fewer PCC matches than pistol ones, it's doable.

As far as stroke-length, I consider my setup (wave spring + single washer/quarter + .308 Carbine spring + RB5005 Blitz buffer) as essentially a 'mid-stroke', as it gets back just far enough past the bolt catch and holds open after last round....something that comes in handy in my state with 10-rd magazine limits in some settings.  So I realize that aside from not reloading that may also preclude me from getting some of the performance/cycling benefits that are often discussed here.

Edited by MoRivera
15 hours ago, MoRivera said:

Yes I'm going to look into the Syntech.  The Blazer I've found to be gentler than several other factory 115's like WWB or Federal, or UMC.  There is a cheap Federal White Box 'Range Target Practice' that shoots pretty mildly but it is very smokey and I like that the Blazer is a completely plated bullet (including the base) that leaves less lead buildup, and its velocity if listed relatively low (around 1125).  I like the blazer in my handguns and shoot it well, so it makes it easy when I get it in bulk locally.  But if the Syntech really does shoot softer and doesn't feel sluggish, then I'll definitely pick up a bunch for matches solely for the PCC.  Little more money, but averaging only 150 rds or so per match with way fewer PCC matches than pistol ones, it's doable.

As far as stroke-length, I consider my setup (wave spring + single washer/quarter + .308 Carbine spring + RB5005 Blitz buffer) as essentially a 'mid-stroke', as it gets back just far enough past the bolt catch and holds open after last round....something that comes in handy in my state with 10-rd magazine limits in some settings.  So I realize that aside from not reloading that may also preclude me from getting some of the performance/cycling benefits that are often discussed here.

I run a lot of 115g blazer brass.

I consider it the ammo that my gun is set up for.

It's the lightest shooting, readily available, factory ammo I have found, not to mention, it's some of the least expensive.

The syntech stuff is softer shooting, but it's more expensive and can be hard to get at times.

So I have built both of mine on blazer.