Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Marks on lower lugs of 2011 barrel

KrisS

Hello

I have Bul SAS II UR open 9mm, shooting major with PF 163-167. Pistol shoots great, very precise, no issues with slide locking unexpectedly, no cycling rejection problems, roughly 3K rounds shot.

I've been inspecting the barrel after cleaning and I found some marks and dents on the lower lugs. As this is my first 2011 gun I prefer rather to ask than to make something stupid.

The question is what could be the cause of the marks and (if it is not normal wear) how to get rid of it ? Should I just slightly file the dents and polish the pin and lower lugs ? Is there anything else to inspect ? 

qbLhNue.jpg

IG8Nv9i.jpg

FoKfbZ0.jpg

taap1yH.jpg

The barrel legs and link are set by cutting the legs @ full lock up with the barrel stuffed hard up into the upper lugs.

This gives full barrel support with slide in battery.

The radius of the feet forward of that contact @ lock up has to be relieved if it rubs the slide lock pin during unlock..

Put the Slide lock pin in the link and see if it will follow the radius....or will it hang up.

Itll only take a teeny bit of work with a good small file and Dykem to give this contact some room.

Replacing a proper link with one that is longer will result in the barrel "riding the Link"...which will cause problems.

Google "1911 Riding The Link"

A little off subject but I was wondering how you like the bul sas. I’ve seen pictures but never handled one. I’m pretty impressed with the way the  machining looks and the seem  reasonably priced. Do you have any feedback on the overall quality. 

The lateral dents across the two split surfaces of the lug is where the lug is slamming into the take down pin. The area forward of that dark, lateral line where the heavy contact is made is inconsequential. Take a file and gently roll the radius from the dent line down towards the barrel. Mark with a sharpie and cycle a few times and slowly progress. What you want to see is the barrel float onto the radius of the lug and come to rest on the flat before the rear radius without it slamming into the take down pin. Think of it as being in a plane and coming in for a gentles landing versus one that rattles your teeth. 

Thank you for help. I will will check with blue marker how the slide stop pin rides over problematic areas and I will gently remove the burs on the marks edges (as little material as possible). 

Guide rod face is already beveled but I will check it for marks. I will stay with current link and will also check the wear of the pin that holds it in place.

as for quality of the bul. I am not sure how it compres to other 2011 as this is my first open gun. Looking at it from „optical” perspective It is very well made (so no rattles, slide rocking side to side etc.) Quality of make is visible on every element. As the slide is fitted very tight I use only oil to lubricate especially as weather here is close to the freezing point in my location. It seems to be like race car : it wears out quicker and you need to properly take care for it but it provides extreme performance.

the front signs is not working area .its only relief rough  cut .

their   solid guide rod is beveled in this area but a  few aftermarket guide rods not  .

if gun works and accuracy is good  ignore this signs. u can polish this signs for better look , but if u don't know exactly how 1911 works u can ruin the accuracy of the gun.

• 3 weeks later...

I tested the drag of slide stop over lower lugs (with some blue dye) and quite honestly saw none or only minimal signs, so I just cleaned the burs' edges and and polished it lightly. I will observe how it behaves and hope it is just sign of break in process for this 2011. New platform for me so collecting new experiences. It is just different but like it a lot so far 🙂

HX7MqvD.jpg

On 11/21/2018 at 3:49 PM, kk4364 said:

Not a smith,but to me it looks like impact from the guide rod.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

That was my thought. I don't see any burrs on the SS pin that would cause that.

Appears to have been done while factory fitted the bbl. Done roughly with a hand grinder. Never smoothed out and polished. 

i.e. you get what you pay for.

dont mess with it. If you polish those out you'll probably increase your dimensions by more than a .001 and change how the bbl fits.