Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sending Money to Strangers

xtian999

I love the Classifieds, but sending money to a stranger sucks. It seems thay the seller always wants to wait to send the item until after the funds clear, which is understandable, but what about the buyer who has to send money without any real guarrantee of getting anything back?

Nobody wants to use UPS c.o.d. because they have never heard of it, even though it protects both parties.

4 hours ago, Sarge said:

Buy from an established member and your chance  of getting ripped off is next to zero.

I have sold to anyone, as soon as the check clears   :)

I would ONLY buy from "an established member"  ….

I almost got burned 12 years ago, when I first joined BE - but I got lucky and got my product that I had payed for Many months before.    :) 

How much are we taking about? Couple hundred or less? If so that level of risk is minimal.

If I was buying a multi thousand dollar item then the cheap insurance is to get on a plane or drive there to do the deal face to face with cash in hand. That also gives you the chance to inspect the item in person before buying it.

7 hours ago, CHA-LEE said:

How much are we taking about? Couple hundred $$$ , or less? If so that level of risk is minimal.

The purchase I made, and had trouble receiving for many months, was only $500, for three

mags (2 - 140's and 1 - 170).

But, I was really seriously annoyed that a respected member here seemed to be stiffing me

for those mags, even though it was "minimal".

I still believe the only reason he finally (after many months) sent me the mags was that I

told him I was attending the Nationals in Las Vegas in another month - which he could

verify by looking at the squadding lists.   Otherwise, I believe I'd still be waiting for those

three mags, from 12 years ago.

There is an element of "risk" and we should be aware of it.

1 minute ago, xtian999 said:

That is asking to take a leap of faith with a total stranger in another state with a made-up internet name. That is exactly what I hate.

To each their own. But this forum is not typical . There is actually a list of dead beat sellers here. Some of my best friends in USPSA are here . But you do what you think is right.

11 hours ago, xtian999 said:

That is asking to take a leap of faith with a total stranger in another state with a made-up internet name. That is exactly what I hate.

Then dont do it.  Not much in another state you probably couldnt eventually find locally or close enough to drive, or being sold by a regular business.
I do find it ironic the pot calling the kettle black here with the info in your own profile.

This Hate rant has turned into a discussion, which is beyond the bounds of the rules for the Hate Forum. Thus, it must be closed.Please review the Hate Forum Rules:http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8097[note: this is a generic response]