Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Most reasonable option to have a S2 milled for CO?

wdfwguy

I went with CZ Customs.  They're a little more expensive, but in the end you have options using their plate system.  Mine is currently fitted with a DP Pro.  If I decide later I want a C-More RTS or something else, I can just buy the plate for that manufacturer.  All of the other options pigeon hole you into whatever you're currently using as they machine to your specific RDS.

Just my opinion of course.

Edited by clw42

I went with CZ Customs.  They're a little more expensive, but in the end you have options using their plate system.  Mine is currently fitted with a DP Pro.  If I decide later I want a C-More RTS or something else, I can just buy the plate for that manufacturer.  All of the other options pigeon hole you into whatever you're currently using as they machine to your specific RDS.

Just my opinion of course.
My S2 slide is at CZC for this same reason. I didn't want to be locked into one optic.

If that isn't a concern I've heard Cajun Gun Works and Primary Machine also do a very good job on slide milling.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

CZC offers a couple of options to try and help out

1. RDS plate cut for Shadow 2. this is the plate cut , which offers the flexibility to change plates if you change dots and the necessary lightening for Carry Optics.

2. Direct milling of the optic to the slide. Slide is cut specific to the dot.

3. sight base for rear sght dovetail . Multioptic plate for the dovetail.

2 hours ago, robchavous said:

If that isn't a concern I've heard Cajun Gun Works and Primary Machine also do a very good job on slide milling.

They do, and I have just received my slide from Primary Machine directly milled for a DPP.  It looks good although I hoped for a deeper pocket; not sure if that was technically feasible. However, that by itself doesn't bring the weight down enough to be CO legal. It appears that CZC solution of plate + lightening is the most economic solution.

15 hours ago, clw42 said:

I went with CZ Customs.  They're a little more expensive, but in the end you have options using their plate system. 

Agree to disagree.

I consider that a huge disadvantage. My Walther is cut so deeply the DPP optic is now the cover for the firing pin channel:

CDCDA95C-62EB-43D4-A52E-CDD01A7038A9.thumb.jpeg.5a4c0ae5fa8616ebcfbbae9c91b46313.jpeg

I shot a “plate system” gun for two matches, and hated how high the dot was mounted.

With this gun, the dot is down right about where conventional irons used to be, and it was an astonishing improvement.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

CZC for all the reasons mentioned.  I went with another shop for my first S2 and they cut just for the C-more, which locked me into that sight AND if I wanted to go back to Production I would have to buy another slide.  My second S2 I sent to CZC and paid a little more but I also bought the plate to go back to Production.  Great work and 4 weeks, quoted 6 weeks.

14 hours ago, YVK said:

They do, and I have just received my slide from Primary Machine directly milled for a DPP.  It looks good although I hoped for a deeper pocket; not sure if that was technically feasible. However, that by itself doesn't bring the weight down enough to be CO legal. It appears that CZC solution of plate + lightening is the most economic solution.

They didn't do any other milling than just for the optic?

3 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Agree to disagree.

I consider that a huge disadvantage. My Walther is cut so deeply the DPP optic is now the cover for the firing pin channel:

CDCDA95C-62EB-43D4-A52E-CDD01A7038A9.thumb.jpeg.5a4c0ae5fa8616ebcfbbae9c91b46313.jpeg

I shot a “plate system” gun for two matches, and hated how high the dot was mounted.

With this gun, the dot is down right about where conventional irons used to be, and it was an astonishing improvement.

Are you shooting this over your Shadow?

23 minutes ago, wdfwguy said:

Are you shooting this over your Shadow?

I had a Tanfo, not a CZ. Sold the metal guns and went back to all plastic guns - a trio of Walthers.

CZ. Glock. Tanfoglio. Walther. The gun doesn’t matter much.

Shoot the one you like; in these days where you “need” a metal gun to be more competitive, there were still more Glocks in the top 25 production shooters than CZs.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

11 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I had a Tanfo, not a CZ. Sold the metal guns and went back to all plastic guns - a trio of Walthers.

CZ. Glock. Tanfoglio. Walther. The gun doesn’t matter much.

Shoot the one you like; in these days where you “need” a metal gun to be more competitive, there were still more Glocks in the top 25 production shooters than CZs.

I was just curious

Agree to disagree.

All down to preference. Depending on the optic I haven't thought any plate system guns sat them too high. I did think my buddies sp01 with the dovetail mount sat too high, but he doesn't mind it. Also open gun dots sit way higher. It's all about adjusting your index.

[mention=56049]robchavous[/mention] my goal is... not to. Literally holster up a production gun and shoot it ‘2nd gun’ in our matches back to back.

I don’t see any reason you wouldn’t want to effortlessly switch to irons on a carry gun, or different competition division. [emoji4]
My first real foray with a dot will be this winter so my opinion might change over the next 2-3 months. I'll definitely be going back to my Production guns come spring to get ready for BITB.

On 11/15/2018 at 9:12 AM, Texas45 said:

CZC for all the reasons mentioned.  I went with another shop for my first S2 and they cut just for the C-more, which locked me into that sight AND if I wanted to go back to Production I would have to buy another slide.  My second S2 I sent to CZC and paid a little more but I also bought the plate to go back to Production.  Great work and 4 weeks, quoted 6 weeks.

I had a standard shadow milled with a plate by CZC. It’s nice to have the option for other optics and the ability to still use it for production 

12 hours ago, robchavous said:

When I talked to them a month ago they said they could also do a window cut in the slide for lightening.

My discussion with them dates back to summertime so your info is more updated. However, a top window cut is not sufficient enough to make the weight. Getting a Shadow 2 with a directly milled slide and a Deltapoint is a tough task. Direct milling removes a lot less metal than CZC plate system does, and the DPP is probably the heaviest optic out there.  Having  gone that way, with now three shops doing different bits of work, trying different mag extensions, and with a plastic guide rod, I am still at 45.40 oz. I have relatively thick and heavy grips that weigh 2.1 oz so I will get there eventually, but I wouldn't recommend this path to others.

My discussion with them dates back to summertime so your info is more updated. However, a top window cut is not sufficient enough to make the weight. Getting a Shadow 2 with a directly milled slide and a Deltapoint is a tough task. Direct milling removes a lot less metal than CZC plate system does, and the DPP is probably the heaviest optic out there.  Having  gone that way, with now three shops doing different bits of work, trying different mag extensions, and with a plastic guide rod, I am still at 45.40 oz. I have relatively thick and heavy grips that weigh 2.1 oz so I will get there eventually, but I wouldn't recommend this path to others.
Good to know. CZC emailed me today that my slide was ready.