Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfoglio Limited Pro for IDPA

Bobforshak

I'm looking to buy an all metal 9mm for IDPA ESP division.  I decided on the Tangfoglio but i want to be sure the limited pro was IDPA legal.  I would also like to run it in ESP so if there are any mods that are legal i would love to hear what i can do to it.  Also what holster do you recommend for IDPA.  

Thanks!!!

I used to run Lim Pro in IDPA SSP.  100% legal.  Shot both state and national, and the gun was inspected very carefully at each match by SOs.  They even took out the slide to look at the firing pin block :)  Honestly I think it is pretty OP as is, and you don't need to mod it for ESP.   Adding anything extra like a magwell will push the weight over IDPA legal limit.  So my suggestion is to just shoot it in ESP as is. 

I use Bladetech for both IDPA and USPSA.  

Thanks Dazhi, main reason i want to run esp is because i have a budy who runs ssp and i dont want to be in the same division.  What about a recoil reduction guid rod and spring from sprinco, i was looking at that.  Also did u run the stock sights?  Grips did u change them?

On 10/13/2018 at 12:18 PM, Bobforshak said:

Thanks Dazhi, main reason i want to run esp is because i have a budy who runs ssp and i dont want to be in the same division.  What about a recoil reduction guid rod and spring from sprinco, i was looking at that.  Also did u run the stock sights?  Grips did u change them?

PatriotDefense has a lightweight guide rod that’ll let you run any grips you want and still make weight. The LP is heavy enough that metal grips in place of factory wood may otherwise tip you over the limit.

Slap an Xtreme fiber optic front sight into it. Patriot Defense lightened sear and trigger springs, and their firing pin return spring. Run a 10lb recoil spring to start. 15.5 lb hammer spring.

Polish the hell out of the iternals the way I outline in the four part “tanfoglio tuning” video series on YouTube.

This gun already has a single-piece sear so it won’t need that. 

Also, the Limited Pro was discontinued by EAA last year and they are HARD to find in 9mm. If you see one, grab it instantly. IFG is close (within a couple months) of re-releasing the Limited Pro to the US Market.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

• 3 weeks later...

As mentioned, the Lim Pro is perfectly legal... as long as you use one safety.
Patriot defense Bolo is a great upgrade. A full polish job is essential. Toss on a nice fiber optic front sight, and you are good to go.
Red Hill Tactical and Fox Valley Custom Kydex are my 2 go to choices for holsters. Always go double layer kydex.

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, jhgtyre said:

It has a bull barrel.

Sig X5 has a bull barrel but it's legal.  Stock 2 has a cone barrel. 

Cone barrels of 4.25 inches or shorter are legal in IDPA, but Stock 2 barrel is 4.5 inches long.  If IDPA rules allow cone barrels of 4.5 inches or shorter, or simply remove the cone barrel restriction, or at least allow them in ESP, many people will be happy :) 

On 10/13/2018 at 4:00 PM, Bobforshak said:

I'm looking to buy an all metal 9mm for IDPA ESP division.  I decided on the Tangfoglio but i want to be sure the limited pro was IDPA legal.  I would also like to run it in ESP so if there are any mods that are legal i would love to hear what i can do to it.  Also what holster do you recommend for IDPA.  

Thanks!!!

I'm running a Limited Pro with two different top ends: 9mm (ESP) and .45ACP (CDP). Trigger/performance work done by J&L Gunsmithing. I have an extended firing pin in each upper along with the Hennings heavy duty guide rod. I also have Hennings speed sight (rear) and a Dawson fiber sight (front) installed.

For a holster, I have what J&L sells.

Hope this helps.

Edited by jdk129
added more info.

40 minutes ago, waktasz said:

It's also over weight for all of the divisions. And has a full length dust cover (although that rule is gone now, I think)

No more full-length dust cover restriction in the current rules. 

Stock 2 with a red dot can play in Carry Optics division (45 oz limit just like USPSA).

The only issue is the <4.25'' cone barrel restriction.  

8 hours ago, waktasz said:

It's also over weight for all of the divisions. And has a full length dust cover (although that rule is gone now, I think)

Having weighed more than a half dozen Limited Pros, we have found that they all vary in weight and beaver tail length. There are some fairly easy weight reduction options to make weight.

5 hours ago, jdk129 said:

Having weighed more than a half dozen Limited Pros, we have found that they all vary in weight and beaver tail length. There are some fairly easy weight reduction options to make weight.

I was referring to the Stock 2 and its legality. 

• 1 year later...

Old thread, but I have a similar question.

Thinking about either a LP or Stock 1 for IDPA SSP.

Anyone know of any rules issues?

In particular, am wondering about hammers, have always used the extreme hammer in my USPSA Tanfo's, am told that would be a no no for SSP as it is an externally visible mod. Anyone have any insights? If the extreme hammer is a no no has anyone had good luck getting the trigger right with the oem hammer? 

Last thing, installing a PD disco would make the gun visibly different due to the trigger being further back when the hammer is cocked, is that a rules issue?

Thanks!

Internal parts have always been legal so no issue with the bolo.

I'm not 100% up on IDPA rules but do they say parts from an approved SSP gun are legal on other guns? The Xtreme pistols come with that hammer and should be legal.