Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP GMR15 recommendations

Hi All, 

i decided on a GMR15 and wanted some opinions on options, build configurations. 

Should I just go with the competition ready version from JP or pick different options?

Any thought on barrel length?

Is the side charger or CTR type upper worth the 600? 

Roller trigger?

Thank you you in advance.  

Edited by GIO

GIO - Everyone has their opinion so I will share mine with you....I recently ordered a GMR-15 and I went with the basic stock, non side charging handle unit. The only options I added was the barrel heat dissipator, and the stainless 14.5” barrel with the pinned three port comp...I swear it looks like the comp is part of the barrel....

I went with this set up after talking to several professional shooters that use this rifle for shooting steel. Now if your plans are to shoot IDPA this set up shoud also be good since most stages will never require a reload but if you are going to shoot USPSA I am sure there are others here who can advise what other options you should consider. 

My rifle was just over $1800 delivered and I plan on using the money I did not spend on the extras to stock up on the needed  reloading supplies as funding allows....I did add two items to my GMR. A aluminum mag well funnel ($95.) and most importantly a C-More ARW Aluminum 8MOA red dot($325). If you have never looked through a C-More you might want to give it consideration......Mark

Edited by Sigarmsp226

Thank you Mark. I have a 14,5 pinned and welded JP15 and yes they do an amazing job blending the barrel=comp and I really like how that length handles. 

Does the heat dissapator help? What magwell did you go with?

Thank you for the reply 

I have several JP's including a brand new, very basic, stock GMR-15 16" barrel.  My opinions on the options are based on .223 and .308 versions of JP rifles in various configurations.

I agree with Trace on the heat dissipator, high cool factor, but marginal use on a 9mm.  I've found negligible difference in throat wear between two JP .223 rifles, one with and one without a dissipator.  But, I'm sure the next one I buy I'll fork over the money for it.

The CTR upper is super cool, but I've seen no difference in performance between a CTR and the regular upper.  I tried a side charging model with a rolling trigger and never cared for either.  I thought I'd be faster and more efficient with the SCR, but never saw any benefit.  I was ambivalent about the rolling trigger.  I ended up selling that rifle.

I'm debating magwell selection.  If you find one that works well, please post it up.   Have fun, mine is a tack driver.  Very slow barrel, but a tack driver.

Thanks Mike and Ranger. 

Mike - Slow barrel? Is the velocity not what you expected or something else? 

Is the “light” profile barrel the same diameter and weight as the 223 “light” 14.5? Any advantage with the 16 or is it the same debate as the 223? 

GIO - I went with the AWT aluminum magwell in black and I am happy with it so far. Installed in 2 min and has a set screw on it to help keep it secure.....Mark

https://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/AWT-PCC-GMR-15-Magwells-P5092.aspx

Heat dissipator - Cannot say if it makes a huge different but Ben at JP suggested I get it for only $75 if I ever plan on shooting USPSA run and gun courses to help with the heat espically with matches in the South where I live where it can be 100F on the range when shooting....I am an old man (59) so I went with an entire black on black on black GMR rifle....Mark 

Edited by Sigarmsp226
11 hours ago, GIO said:

Thanks Mike and Ranger. 

Is the “light” profile barrel the same diameter and weight as the 223 “light” 14.5? Any advantage with the 16 or is it the same debate as the 223? 

The only reason to have a 16" barrel is of you want to suppress it but do not want to SBR. 14.5" pin and weld is the way to go, again, unless you want to be a cool kid and go 10.5" plus stamp. 

If you have another side charge AR or just prefer them like I do it's a great option. So if you want to keep manual of arms consistent do it but you really only use it at unload and show clear. ?

Trigger is just your preference. Flat, curved or roller. Pick your favorite or pick up both shoes and swap just that part in the modular unit if you find you dont like one. I run all curved because my girlfriend like them more and I just want to pull triggers. Domestic tranquility.  

In a 9mm the thermal dissapator is mostly a nice place to add color and match your other accent pieces if you go that way. 223, 308 or 6.5 creed it's  mandatory.  

Happy building and remember to update this post with pictures when it arrives!

Like a few guys above, I went with the bone stock 15. Only additions are 8 MOA Cmore, brand X laser, & a few buffer parts. Ordered the JP 5 spring pack & 2 stainless weights. As is, it's not holding me back at all. 

I also found the the velocities to be a bit lower than I expected. Little slow but very consistent and extremely accurate so no worries there. 

The dissipator is completely unneeded in USPSA. Even with an egregious number of makeup shots, you’d fire 40-45 rounds and then it’ll have half an hour to cool down before the next stage.

Weight in front of the magwell is weight you feel the most, and weight you do not want. Keep the barrel light. Personally, I’d swap the heavy JP handguard out for something carbon fiber.

My gun is insanely light (and expensively custom) out in front. Every time I shoot a GMR I think “what a superb rifle, but the entire thing is so heavy...” and the barrel/handguard are the worst offenders.

Edited by MemphisMechanic
13 hours ago, Part_time_redneck said:

Like a few guys above, I went with the bone stock 15. Only additions are 8 MOA Cmore, brand X laser, & a few buffer parts. Ordered the JP 5 spring pack & 2 stainless weights. As is, it's not holding me back at all. 

I also found the the velocities to be a bit lower than I expected. Little slow but very consistent and extremely accurate so no worries there. 

My gmr 15 upper weighs more than my stock colt 6450, if I had to guess. 

On 10/13/2018 at 12:12 PM, GIO said:

Thanks Mike and Ranger. 

Gio, the velocity in my barrel was a bit slower than other PCC's that I've shot including a JP PCC.  No big deal, just need to change up my powder selection.  135ishPF or a bit higher was the sweet spot for me while shooting a friend's JP.

I went with the 16" barrel due to my preference for a longer barrel and heavier weight out front.  I'm probably in the minority on that.  I shot registered skeet and preferred a 32" K gun that was heavy.  It prevented me from over swinging on targets and forced me to pull the gun into my shoulder.  I find a similar set-up  helps me in PCC.