Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Proposed 2019 rules available?

ATLDave

I see in the September BOD minutes that the proposed new comprehensive rule set is supposed to be available to members on the USPSA site.  After poking around a few minutes (yes, I signed in), I could not find it.  Is it up yet?  Anyone have a link handy?

2 minutes ago, ATLDave said:

I see in the September BOD minutes that the proposed new comprehensive rule set is supposed to be available to members on the USPSA site.  After poking around a few minutes (yes, I signed in), I could not find it.  Is it up yet?  Anyone have a link handy?

Yeah, they hid it pretty well. The link was in the weekly email. If you have unsubscribed to that, you will miss stuff!

https://uspsa.org/rulebook/

4 hours ago, ATLDave said:

Thanks.  I've not unsubscribed to that, but it is so larded up with graphics and irrelevant garbage from other gun-related-but-otherwise-totally-irrelevant sources that I hardly ever read it.  

usually, the first 2 or 3 articles are pertinent to USPSA. The rest is, well...

20 minutes ago, Flatland Shooter said:

Looks like we can reference a rule and make a comment.  So I'd say its just a draft and can be changed.

I was thinking that, but I wasn't sure.  I'll have to look it over and see what's new/changing

The 2019 USPSA Competition Rules, Multi-gun Rules and Steel Challenge Rules Share on FacebookTwitterShare on LinkedinE-mail article

USPSA
On Tuesday, Sept. 25, the USPSA Board of Directors approved a draft of the 2019 USPSA Competition Rules, Multi-gun Rules and Steel Challenge rules, complete with change logs. The draft is comprehensive and includes all rules, rulings, appendices, addendums, format fixes, updates and corrections. The rules will posted for 90 days for member comment, after which time the Board of Directors will vote on the implementation of the 2019 rule books and release an effective date. Current USPSA Members can login to view the rules drafts and comment online here. Comments should be specific to rules, and will require a rule number for review. Comments will be reviewed on a regular basis, and minor changes may be implemented during the review period.  READ MORE

The link includes revision summaries that show exactly what is changing for each ruleset.  The summary for the main rulebook is 6 pages, and seems to incorporate a lot of the rulings and some of the "Troy told me..." items, like the barberpole issue.

3 minutes ago, JAFO said:

The link includes revision summaries that show exactly what is changing for each ruleset.  The summary for the main rulebook is 6 pages, and seems to incorporate a lot of the rulings and some of the "Troy told me..." items, like the barberpole issue.

All of the current rulings should of been addressed by the changes. If you find one that isn't, tell 'em!

11 minutes ago, ATLDave said:

Hopefully they will still print paper copies, because cell service sucks at many ranges.  

Pdf on your phone is the best. Download it so you don't need service and you can still use the search function. I never use my paper rule book. 

4 minutes ago, V2plus25 said:

FINALLY the graphic in the back of the book indicating scoring zone hits will be more crisp and easier to read.  Uh oh they also still show a B scoring zone in the upper graphic.  Comment sent.

They talk about B in the draft rulebook:

Note that the B zone on all USPSA targets is now scored as a C hit. B zoned targets are on an
indefinite phase out per Board directive in 2018. B-zoned cardboard targets may still be used
as official targets but must be scored using the A-C-D scoring listed below.

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

They talk about B in the draft rulebook:

Note that the B zone on all USPSA targets is now scored as a C hit. B zoned targets are on an
indefinite phase out per Board directive in 2018. B-zoned cardboard targets may still be used
as official targets but must be scored using the A-C-D scoring listed below.

Yeah I saw that, but if you look in App B1 they don't have a B zone in the graphics of any of the metric targets.  Just figuring for consistency throughout the book either the B zone should also be shown in B1 or completely removed from all metric target (now USPSA target) depictions.

How do you read this?  No more grabbing walls and leaning out?

Added language defining that nothing but the very edge of the wall in contact with or inside the fault lines may be used for support while firing shots.  Time to end the “electricity” game.  It eliminates using wall feet, braces, other walls, etc., to game a stage.  You have to be inside the fault lines to touch a wall or other structure, unless specifically called out as “outside”, as in the case with elevated platforms, etc. 10.2.1

1 hour ago, CrashDodson said:

Added language defining that nothing but the very edge of the wall in contact with or inside the fault lines may be used for support while firing shots.  Time to end the “electricity” game.  It eliminates using wall feet, braces, other walls, etc., to game a stage.  You have to be inside the fault lines to touch a wall or other structure, unless specifically called out as “outside”, as in the case with elevated platforms, etc. 10.2.1

That sounds super confusing. 

1 hour ago, CrashDodson said:

It's to keep people from standing on wall stands, braces, or other supports outside the shooting area.  Currently, if a wall makes up one side of the shooting area, but extends beyond a perpendicular fault line (e.g., you place a fault line short of the end of a wall to limit the view), people were standing on the wall stand/brace/etc and considering it the same as standing on a fault line.

It's to keep people from standing on wall stands, braces, or other supports outside the shooting area.  Currently, if a wall makes up one side of the shooting area, but extends beyond a perpendicular fault line (e.g., you place a fault line short of the end of a wall to limit the view), people were standing on the wall stand/brace/etc and considering it the same as standing on a fault line.
This came up at the SC section match this year. You could stand on a support behind a wall and shoot a swinger before activating it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, JAFO said:

I thought that had been addressed previously, since the end of the wall (in this case) was divorced from the shooting area.