Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone using Lee or Hornady die in a 60 and/or 1050

I use Lee dies for sizing, seating and crimping.

I use the Dillon 1" locking nuts. Tossed the Lee nuts; I don't like them. Gives you more room for a wrench also.

They are not a perfect match as on the sizing and crimping dies there is not much thread room on top of the toolhead.

There are enough threads available on the bottom side so you can run dual lock nuts, top and bottom.

That cinches things down just fine. Actually probably don't need it on the crimping die; not a lot of stress there.

I like the Lee dies the best, then the Lyman, Dillon I don't like.  In some cases the spring there was not strong enough to push out the primer, I ended up smacking it with a hammer to make that happen.

In my experience the Lee sizing dies produce the lowest effort.  All with the same lube.

7 hours ago, ddc said:

I use Lee dies for sizing, seating and crimping.

I use the Dillon 1" locking nuts. Tossed the Lee nuts; I don't like them. Gives you more room for a wrench also.

They are not a perfect match as on the sizing and crimping dies there is not much thread room on top of the toolhead.

There are enough threads available on the bottom side so you can run dual lock nuts, top and bottom.

That cinches things down just fine. Actually probably don't need it on the crimping die; not a lot of stress there.

Same here.  I use Lee dies and Dillon lock nuts on my 650

I use the Lee 4 piece carbide 9mm dies. I have them set up on 3 toolheads. (I'm on a 650.)  No problems.

I'd also pick up a Mister Bullet Feeder powder funnel. It does a better job of flaring than the stock Dillon.

Edit to add: Check that the MBF powder funnel will work with the 1050. I'm not fluent in "1050" ... lol

Edited by ddc

I asume “60” meant 650. Rarely you’ll get a die where the die has ro sit so deeply in the plate that there isn’t enough thread on top for the OEM lock nut to work.  In these rare cases I’ve either been able to find a thinner lock nut with more positive theead all the way to its edged or I simply affix the lock nut underneath the shell plate with no issue.  

Edited by jkrispies

8 minutes ago, jkrispies said:

I asume “60” meant 650. Rarely you’ll get a die where the die has ro sit so deeply in the plate that there isn’t enough thread on top for the OEM lock nut to work.  In these rare cases I’ve either been able to find a thinner lock nut with more positive theead all the way to its edged or I simply affix the lock nut underneath the shell plate with no issue.  

Yes, 650 sorry for the typo! Others have said the same thing, that I may have to put the lock nut on the bottom. Thanks, JD

I have a new set of Lee dies! And I put them in my 1050, the only thing that I don't like is the Lee crimping die resizes the case again!! and it makes the press make a loud clunk as it release the bullet. I think I'm going to try a set of Dillon dies to get rid of this problem. I also talked to Dillon about it and they don't feel that resizing is a good thing because it can cause the case to pinch the bullet. Anyone else had this problem??  Thanks, JD

You sure the clunk is from the factory crimp die (FCD)? I've never experienced that, do get a clunk from cases sticking on expanders sometimes.

The FCD can/will swage cast/coated bullets, usually a non-issue with plated/jacketed. You can take a dowel or brass punch and knock the carbide sizing ring out the bottom of the FCD, it's just a light press fit in there.

1 hour ago, JDIllon said:

I have a new set of Lee dies! And I put them in my 1050, the only thing that I don't like is the Lee crimping die resizes the case again!! and it makes the press make a loud clunk as it release the bullet. I think I'm going to try a set of Dillon dies to get rid of this problem. I also talked to Dillon about it and they don't feel that resizing is a good thing because it can cause the case to pinch the bullet. Anyone else had this problem??  Thanks, JD

I use the Lee U die, haven't had any problems (but I lube the cases before loading), if you're getting a clunk from the crimp die, you're over crimping. I've use both the Dillon and the Lee FCD and haven't had a problem with either. I use the Dillon normally because it has a larger lead opening. I load 9 major and find that over crimping will cause "keyholing". Every time I've been asked about keyholed strikes by other shooters, the cure has been to back off the crimp a bit. Another thing I didn't like about the Dillon sizing die was that the "E" clip that holds the deprime pin in would break about every 10-15K rounds, not a big deal to change, just irritating. Dillon was good about it, they sent me a bag full of the clips (which I still have half a bag since going to the U die.)

Edited by Bkreutz

I do lube all of my cases and I have double checked and it is the Lee final crimp die that is causing the clunk. And I have found the same thing with the keyholing, although I have not shot enough of these loads to confirm it, I do think that may happen, do the the fact that I load and shoot mainly coated bullets. I am going to try the Dillon dies before sending back the Lee's but I have been loading these same loads with my Square Deal B with Dillon dies and havn't had any problems. Thanks for all of the feed back, I will let you know how things work out. JD

Just FYI and I apologize if you know this but you can set the Lee seating die to provide a bit of crimp as it seats the bullet. This isn't the same as the factory crimp die but it will keep from resizing loaded rounds if you're not comfortable with that idea.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk