Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Plated vs. FMJ??

Bench

I have a "fineky" eater(!!) and looking at moving from coated lead to harder bullets.

1.) What's anyone's experience with plated vs. jacketed?

2.) What's anyone's experience with RN vs. JHP?

The application is for 9mm production (minor).

Thanks

2 minutes ago, Bench said:

I have a "fineky" eater(!!) and looking at moving from coated lead to harder bullets.

1.) What's anyone's experience with plated vs. jacketed?

2.) What's anyone's experience with RN vs. JHP?

The application is for 9mm production (minor).

Thanks

Plated are much softer than true jacketed bullets and not really any harder than coated. If you don't want soft bullets get some Montana Gold CMJ's. They are round nose with a covered base so there is no lead exposed. If the gun is that finicky then stay away from JHP's

26 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Plated are much softer than true jacketed bullets and not really any harder than coated. If you don't want soft bullets get some Montana Gold CMJ's. They are round nose with a covered base so there is no lead exposed. If the gun is that finicky then stay away from JHP's

Thanks Sarge, that's surprising to hear that plated aren't' much harder than coated...who'd a thunk!

53 minutes ago, Bench said:

Thanks Sarge, that's surprising to hear that plated aren't' much harder than coated...who'd a thunk!

Some companies make double plated. Those can reportedly hold up under Open velocities. But you average run of the mill plated bullet uses same load recipes as coated which uses bare lead recipes.

At minor velocity, I would definitely spend the money to try 500 or so plated bullets before jacketed.  I have used coated and plated 9mm and 40 in a multitude of different guns, and I have never had issues with any of them.  For reliability, you would likely do best with round nose, especially if you have a picky gun.  But try some Xtreme plated.  They run through everything I have without issue.

My recent 9mm use is with an MPX in PCC.  It will make a ragged hole at 50 feet easily with plated bullets.  But those rounds run through my Glocks without issue too.

11 hours ago, Sarge said:

Some companies make double plated. Those can reportedly hold up under Open velocities. But you average run of the mill plated bullet uses same load recipes as coated which uses bare lead recipes.

So with jacketed bullets then I'm assuming that loads from jacketed books will translate to bullets of like weights and profile.

34 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I'd try to solve the "finicky" problem, too.

Usually OAL or crimp  ….

What's the gun ?

What kind of feeding problems do you have ?

Probably OAL not crimp with this CRN lead bullet. Manufacturer load data indicates 1.1 OAL with .378 crimp and I'm there. Nosediving/FTF in this Remington RP9. This gun is right on with accuracy...I can shoot this gun well but being a "one shot semiauto" just doesn't get it in USPSA?. That's why I'm looking at RN harder bullets to see if the gun will tolerate a different 'diet'?.

Lead vs. plated vs. jacketed should have nothing to do with feeding.  OAL would be the first thing I'd look at if you're certain your issue is ammo related.  I go to 1.140 on 147 RNs for my builds.  If you're not 100% positive it's ammo it could be a myriad of other things.  More details on the issues your having would help.

if shooting major loads especially out of an open gun you gotta check your accuracy with plated bullets  the coating can melt of quickly when velocities are fast causing bad accuracy minor loads might be ok ya gotta check!

5 hours ago, Furrly said:

Both plated and JHP are sensative to reloading, RN and FMJ are more forgiving 

Thanks, hopefully a diet of 124 RN FMJ (that's what I have ordered) @ 1.13 OAL over 3.8 of Titegroup will provide more solid results than the diarrhea that has been the norm recently?.

42 minutes ago, Bench said:

Thanks, hopefully a diet of 124 RN FMJ (that's what I have ordered) @ 1.13 OAL over 3.8 of Titegroup will provide more solid results than the diarrhea that has been the norm recently?.

Bench, best practice is that YOU determine your max OAL with a plunk test with a bullet, start there, then tune it during load development.  If you know what your OAL is going to be before you have the bullet in hand, you are leaving out steps and hurting your potential. 

Load data is NOT a recipe.  It's a field report.  YOU determine your OAL with evwry new bullet in every gun. 

Edited by IDescribe

2 hours ago, IDescribe said:

Bench, best practice is that YOU determine your max OAL with a plunk test with a bullet, start there, then tune it during load development.  If you know what your OAL is going to be before you have the bullet in hand, you are leaving out steps and hurting your potential. 

Load data is NOT a recipe.  It's a field report.  YOU determine your OAL with evwry new bullet in every gun. 

Thanks, you are sooooo right!! I just didn't state the obvious re. plunk test. It's easier for me to start long and tighten down as needed, plunking all the way.

Nosediving FTFeed would have me looking at the mags first, might want to check that your feed lips are in proper spec. Adam at Atlas put a good video on YouTube, I think he included measurements for front and rear of feed lips for proper feeding. 

1 hour ago, Talon75 said:

Nosediving FTFeed would have me looking at the mags first, might want to check that your feed lips are in proper spec. Adam at Atlas put a good video on YouTube, I think he included measurements for front and rear of feed lips for proper feeding. 

1 hour ago, Talon75 said:

Thanks for the confirmation...that is where I went first and now the gun is down the road kicking rocks and I don't need to fiddle with it any longer?.