Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ Open Build Theory

kneelingatlas

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMG_20200605_183559.thumb.jpg.2e3730484739fbe106d04aafa57538b2.jpg

After 49 days of waiting, my Robin Sebo Ti Czechmate comp showed up this week: my first impression: woah sparks!

I've owned Ti comps before and never noticed sparks thrown out the ports, but I'm told it's par for the course.  It may be slightly flatter, but the harder hit in the hand combined with the noise and sparks results in a violent affair.  I still want to shoot it at speed and see how much of that I notice, but all in all its a quality product and an improvement over the factory steel comp.

Edited by kneelingatlas

How does the cone-comp setup work? Do you put it on a bushing non-threaded barrel with silver solder and the end of the cone is threaded or part of the compensator? 

As for titanium, it should stop sparking once it’s oxidized a bit; if fresh unoxidized titanium is exposed to air it does that. Actually a hazard for the titanium powder in additive manufacturing with it. The right part of the flame with a bit of heat should make it stop right away, if it bothers you. 

Edited by Benevolence

7 minutes ago, Benevolence said:

How does the cone-comp setup work? Do you put it on a bushing non-threaded barrel with silver solder and the end of the cone is threaded or part of the compensator? 

As for titanium, it should stop sparking once it’s oxidized a bit; if fresh unoxidized titanium is exposed to air it does that. Actually a hazard for the titanium powder in additive manufacturing with it. The right part of the flame with a bit of heat should make it stop right away, if it bothers you. 

The cone and the comp are one piece

My Open divison modifications journey continues..

I have to hand it to kneelingatlas, his comp design sure works well.
I took the liberty and copied his port design and made my own version of it (keeping the port design intact) and the results speaks for itself. It is quite flat now and I do nothave any popple holes.

Now I've tried 3 different comps, stroked the slide more, lightened the slide a bit and tested with a bunch of spring combinations.
Now my slide weighs 275grams (9.7oz) empty (no extractor, racker, firing pin etc).
In total it is stroked 6,5mm but the reverse plug takes up 2mm of that so effective stroke is 4,5mm compared to original.
11lbs recoil (Ultimate spring EG) and 9 lbs main spring (Eemann tech, heavier than WOLFF).

Extra power extractor spring with adjusted pinch depth for smooth feeding. The gun also feeds reliably with a 7lbs recoil spring when tested.

And my extended 170mm open division base pad mag combo has been running flawlessly for several thousands of rounds.

Comps tested so far: McLearn, Own design with gradually larger ports angled 5 degrees forward and one bleeder port, kneelingatlas butt shaped port design and angles.

Comps.thumb.jpg.679a4e9db4788188c9627ea22dee0f13.jpg

Slow motion video:

• 2 weeks later...

Well I tried the comp and it lasted 2 mags before it started to come out of time again. It looks like I will be lapping down the threads or coming up with some shim washers.

I had tried using some fine lead solder wrapped around the shoulder of the threaded barrel. It seated well and swaged flat to time it correctly. I added the red threadlocker alnong with it and tried it with minor PF rounds. Still loving the action and setup of the 01 SAO, can't wait to get this comp times and settled.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I finally had a reason to try out a Lone Wolf Glock comp on a CZ and it worked surprisingly well (when complimented by a light slide and three 5/32" holes).  The best part is that it clears the frame of an SP01 when screwed onto a CZC threaded barrel!

I assume it would also clear the frame of a TS as well, be sure to post here if anyone tries it.

8 hours ago, kneelingatlas said:

Yesterday I finally had a reason to try out a Lone Wolf Glock comp on a CZ and it worked surprisingly well (when complimented by a light slide and three 5/32" holes).  The best part is that it clears the frame of an SP01 when screwed onto a CZC threaded barrel!

I assume it would also clear the frame of a TS as well, be sure to post here if anyone tries it.

That's awesome, so it would give a quick option for people wanting to do an Open TSO build, right?

How are you securing the comp to the barrel? 

47 minutes ago, regor said:

That's awesome, so it would give a quick option for people wanting to do an Open TSO build, right?

How are you securing the comp to the barrel? 

Yes, I suspect this comp would work with a 1/2x28 CZC threaded barrel on a TSO, the comp has a set screw in the bottom.

6 hours ago, Ludde said:

What powder and amount are you using with those 3 popple holes?
What is the wheight of the slide?

The slide weighs 11.3oz with the racker, I shot my standard Open load through it (10.5gr SWMP under a 115gr CMJ).

I haven't had a chance to put it over a chrono, but I imagine you could make major with SWMP, although you might need to switch to a 124gr bullet.

Shooters World Major Pistol is a very robust powder, I haven't found it's limits yet.

• 3 weeks later...

thats awesome!

How did you time it and secure it?

I just tested my 3rd attempt at fitting a comp on the 01 - Almost successful! I have the square glocky 11 port SJC comp. To time it correctly I hacked the face off and faced it down to time correctly and then used high temp locktite. It held time during the minor PF test rounds but started timing on the hotter rounds.

I'll get pics up soon, I'm considering either a set screw or a through pin to keep it from rotating.

12 hours ago, Stdz said:

I've always wondered why more people don't use the S2 as a open gun. I think it's mostly the trigger isnt it?

The trigger has nothing to do with it.

Its easy to convert to SA. As a matter of fact my personal opinion is that a SA Shadow new or old version usually has a better more tactile feeling SA trigger than the TS.

I plan to build an open gun based of my production gun i.e. a Shadow 2. Ive already done the ptototyping so to say on my old SP-01 Shadow. 

It has a ~600gram SA trigger. The gun or dot movement is still a bit bouncy but I am getting closer to my goal all the time by doing more tweaking n testing.

Eric Grauffel did an interview on the Firearms Nation podcast recently and mentioned he is working with CZ to build a new open gun. I don't expect it to hit the market for 2 years minimum, but it will be interesting to see if the build it on the Shadow 2 frame. 

45 minutes ago, dansedgli said:

Sebo has made a couple of open guns based on the S2 frame. The frame is smaller though and uses smaller mags. 

@Ludde showed some prototype 170mm extensions for 18 round cz75 mags that fit 29 rounds and I’m sure other manufacturers would hop on if CZ built their new open gun out of them. I have 18 round mags with the CZC long base plates which fit 26 rounds and are very reliable and still well under 170mm.