Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ Open Build Theory

kneelingatlas

Then try a smaller two port comp.  I'm doing the same but on a P09 I'm building for steel.  I had asked in another thread if anyone had experience developing loads for this purpose with a two port comp.  Question is, in your case especially with the heavier steel gun, how much flatter can the gun be made to shoot than with typical sub minor steel loads?  If we are talking about knockdown steel where its usually more like minor anyway,  how high do you have to go above minor with a 2 port comp to "break even",  and what is the sweet spot in PF.  I suspect it will be more of a noticeable change with the poly frame P09.

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well from what i gathered on information is that you need a lot of gas in order to have a comp working in general.

Kneelingatlas mentioned that a 5 port comp will not be efficient, especially with minor loads which seems not to generate enough gas to operate the comp.

Therefore I was considering to load major if with a 90 gr or 115 or 124gr bullet that I will see.

The industry advertise this small 2 -5 port comps, but is it really enough to keep the muzzle from rising?

It should be more effective with lighter loads than a big five port comp.  Smaller port area, so for the same amount of gas a higher velocity of gas.  Plus, your attempting to tame relatively light loads just a bit more,  not flatten a  major gun,  so whats expected of the comp is a lot less.  Also will depend on your loads of course,  should be more effective with a somewhat  slower powder load than a typical fast powder used at the same PF.   I find it an interesting experiment.  I'll get mine in the near future (Primary Machine) and work it out.  I'm doing other mods to the gun before that and the comp will be last.

Hi folks. I have been following this thread for quite some time trying to gain as much knowledge as possible. I completed a Sp01 open gun and have ran it in a few local matches. The pistol is amazingly fun! Thanks for this thread!

-EAA Witness scope mount 

-ipsc Alex thumb rest

-cz factory tactical barrel 

-pistol gear comp(for an XD that I modified, I helped them develop a cz version, so they should be available now) Talk to Scott 

-170 mag extension, Cain Arms (contact them and they will make them for you, I have used these for several years now in limited, awesome quality, you will need to tune them with Glock big stick springs and tune the follower)

-13lbs. Recoil spring

-124 Everglades fmj, 1385pf, HS-6

-Guga Rivas holster

Thats the bulk of it!

Photos to follow 

Ronnie

• 2 weeks later...

What would be my best bet for getting a 9mm Open upper to go with my TSO? I have a Czechmate that I am shooting in Open now but do not have a backup. 

I really like that I can buy a .40 TSO upper and use my Czechmate as a backup when I'm shooting Limited, and ideally would like to be able to do the same for Open. I don't have the skills or access to machinery to do that kind of a build myself.

I've found the F4F Open upper, posts from August 2018, but that doesn't seem to be available. Does anyone else sell/make custom ones?

My alternative is to sell my TSO frame, keep the .40 upper, and then buy a second Czechmate, but that's a $2k+ proposition depending on how much I could sell the TSO frame w/o mags for. Seems like getting an upper would be cheaper and less work considering I've already blended, polished, and made some parts swaps in my TSO frame. 

1 hour ago, regor said:

What would be my best bet for getting a 9mm Open upper to go with my TSO? I have a Czechmate that I am shooting in Open now but do not have a backup. 

I really like that I can buy a .40 TSO upper and use my Czechmate as a backup when I'm shooting Limited, and ideally would like to be able to do the same for Open. I don't have the skills or access to machinery to do that kind of a build myself.

I've found the F4F Open upper, posts from August 2018, but that doesn't seem to be available. Does anyone else sell/make custom ones?

My alternative is to sell my TSO frame, keep the .40 upper, and then buy a second Czechmate, but that's a $2k+ proposition depending on how much I could sell the TSO frame w/o mags for. Seems like getting an upper would be cheaper and less work considering I've already blended, polished, and made some parts swaps in my TSO frame. 

Give Will Wingfield at fire4efects a call or a email. He may still make you one. I know he said he would build me a full open gun if I wanted.

20 hours ago, Jamese35 said:

Give Will Wingfield at fire4efects a call or a email. He may still make you one. I know he said he would build me a full open gun if I wanted.

Has anyone shot one of those that can report on whether or not it is an effective comp design and durable? Not used to seeing 2 port comps on 9 Major. There are a few examples in this thread with 2 vertical ports but they all seem to add in side ports at the end as well, and the openings are quite a bit larger. 

1 hour ago, regor said:

Has anyone shot one of those that can report on whether or not it is an effective comp design and durable? Not used to seeing 2 port comps on 9 Major. There are a few examples in this thread with 2 vertical ports but they all seem to add in side ports at the end as well, and the openings are quite a bit larger. 

I have not personally shot a fire4efects open gun, but by the guns I have shot I would think the comp is inefficient. I finde for me the most effective comps are the binary comps. Although the SVI infinity only uses a 2 port comp with 4 popple holes in 38 sc which I would 2 popple holes for 9 major would be better. 

1 hour ago, Jamese35 said:

I have not personally shot a fire4efects open gun, but by the guns I have shot I would think the comp is inefficient. I finde for me the most effective comps are the binary comps. Although the SVI infinity only uses a 2 port comp with 4 popple holes in 38 sc which I would 2 popple holes for 9 major would be better. 

That's my concern. I imagine a custom build will not be cheap, even with all the extra lightening and serrations added, and I really don't want to shell out $$$ for an ineffective comp. 

6 hours ago, regor said:

That's my concern. I imagine a custom build will not be cheap, even with all the extra lightening and serrations added, and I really don't want to shell out $$$ for an ineffective comp. 

I would say that if Will Wingfield would build you a open TS, he would put whatever comp you want on it. Infact my dad has three limited guns from him and on his third on I designed all the slide lightning and he made it happen. Ended up with a slide that weighs a whopping 9oz and it shoots awsome.

• 2 months later...

Hi, cool guns and thanks for putting all this information out there, you have no idea how helpful it can be to new shooters etc,

I'm trying to find a side ways c-more mount for a sp01 shadow, the same as the one in the pictures on the first page of this thread. Czc do not appear to be making there one any more and the only one I can find is for the checkmate and ts made by cheely custom, which I'm not sure if they will work on a standard shadow. If any one has a viable option  I would appreciate it, thanks.

@Rusl, my advise is to use CZC Czechmate mount and a modern red-dot such as RTS2 or DPP.

Shadow is a light gun. The bulk you'll get on the side with sideway mount will take that advantage off by creating noticeable asymmetry in recoil.

Beware, that once you go with a particular drill pattern - CZ, Tanfoglio, or 2011 - you cannot go back.

Anyway, I have a Quinn mount available for sale in Classifieds.

It will clear the slide by 1/5" and there will be a trivial glass offset to the right. While 1/5" could be perceived as too much, yet it will provide some options for slide racker installation that is not flush with the slide.

Sorry, I cannot properly overlay it on top of a Shadow that already have optics attached.

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/271476-wts-quinn-c-more-slideride-mount-for-2011-gogun-pedal/

CZ-SP01-Shadow-Open-twins.thumb.jpg.c54f5732e4a59b0f94ec56c96be12506.jpg

IMG_0128.thumb.jpg.cd1832faedfaa40124ceb2d503edda7e.jpg

IMG_0129.thumb.jpg.b820d81d3f63949e50253b10b81588ed.jpg

Edited by arkadi

While my Shadow Open gun project is progressing too slow I had to kill some time by designing and source manufacturing for IPSC 170mm legal base pads for the SP-01 18 round tube. First prototype looking promising..

Edited by Ludde

9 hours ago, Ludde said:

While my Shadow Open gun project is progressing too slow I had to kill some time by designing and source manufacturing for IPSC 170mm legal base pads for the SP-01 18 round tube. First prototype looking promising..

This will be awesome if you can get it into production. I suspect without the magazine ribs like the CM mags these will be quite reliable without tuning (and awesome that you can still fit 29). 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2020 at 2:50 AM, arkadi said:

@Rusl, my advise is to use CZC Czechmate mount and a modern red-dot such as RTS2 or DPP.

Shadow is a light gun. The bulk you'll get on the side with sideway mount will take that advantage off by creating noticeable asymmetry in recoil.

Beware, that once you go with a particular drill pattern - CZ, Tanfoglio, or 2011 - you cannot go back.

Anyway, I have a Quinn mount available for sale in Classifieds.

It will clear the slide by 1/5" and there will be a trivial glass offset to the right. While 1/5" could be perceived as too much, yet it will provide some options for slide racker installation that is not flush with the slide.

Sorry, I cannot properly overlay it on top of a Shadow that already have optics attached.

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/271476-wts-quinn-c-more-slideride-mount-for-2011-gogun-pedal/

CZ-SP01-Shadow-Open-twins.thumb.jpg.c54f5732e4a59b0f94ec56c96be12506.jpg

IMG_0128.thumb.jpg.cd1832faedfaa40124ceb2d503edda7e.jpg

IMG_0129.thumb.jpg.b820d81d3f63949e50253b10b81588ed.jpg

Hi,

Thanks for the offer, sadly I am in NZ and importing parts here can be difficult, you sort of have to go through the correct channels and didn't want to get you into trouble exporting parts. I rung Matt at cheely custom and talked to him, he sent me one of his mounts and it Fitts up perfect, even though it is designed for the checkmate and tactical it works fine on the shadow. I have tried the smaller newer optics and just prefer the 90 mount and old c-more, it's just a steel challenge gun so the vision it blocks doesn't seam to be as important as the nice big window, I may try one of the new trijicon's in the future though.

That comp on the front of yours looks the part, is it custom made? I  assume you have fitted a threaded barrel. Never owned a gun with a comp I'm assuming you unscrew it each time to strip the slide off the gun or is there some other way around it?

Thanks

Rusl

Sp01 open build update. I decided to switch comps. I went with the SJC 11 port. I was running a 3 port steel comp previously. I am very pleased with the SJC. Super flat with 9mm major. My previous comp, I notched the comp to clear the frame. After much head scratching I decided to notch my frame for the SJC. It came out very clean. 

IMG_3771.JPG

IMG_3772.JPG

On 1/23/2020 at 4:46 AM, Ludde said:

Have you had a chance to test this out yet?