Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ Open Build Theory

kneelingatlas

More tweaking and more getting used to it!

Out of all the setups I've tested thus far this setup requires the least amount of effort to control. I get the best result with a what I would call medium strength grip and somewhat relaxed elbows and shoulders. This setup gave me confidence to shoot tight shots rather quickly.

Setup: 165 PF 3n38, 20lbs Main spring (WOLFF)  9.5 lbs Recoil spring (Eemann Tech)

Some training with tight no shoots and poppers while backing up.

And yes regarding the basepads, they have been working well the whole season and I've made a second small batch that others have tested with good success.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Stdz said:

I thought everyone likes the 2011 triggers cause they're better than the S2 SA.

I was comparing CZ triggers not CZ vs 2011. 2011 are sure better in terms of trigger but will that be the factor holding you back...

If we then ask the question why people don't use Shadow 2's instead of 2011's as open guns. How many gunsmiths or custom shops specialize in 2011 Open guns compared to CZ type Open guns....

9 hours ago, Ludde said:

I was comparing CZ triggers not CZ vs 2011. 2011 are sure better in terms of trigger but will that be the factor holding you back...

If we then ask the question why people don't use Shadow 2's instead of 2011's as open guns. How many gunsmiths or custom shops specialize in 2011 Open guns compared to CZ type Open guns....

Has there ever been a competitive S2 in open ever made? It would have to be major. SO most likely 40 seeing how the S2 chamber is already short. I guess you could ream it. But that seems like a lot of reaming for the S2.

53 minutes ago, Stdz said:

Has there ever been a competitive S2 in open ever made? It would have to be major. SO most likely 40 seeing how the S2 chamber is already short. I guess you could ream it. But that seems like a lot of reaming for the S2.

If you decide to ream you S2 barrel, keep in my mind it’s hardened steel so you’ll need a carbide reamer.

12 hours ago, Stdz said:

Have you read this thread. There are several CZ 75 type guns in 9mm running major.

There is no 40 S2 available to my knowledge.

Have you seen my videos in this thread? That's a regular 75 SP-01 Shadow barrel. My Shadow 2 allows for the same OAL. Choose bullets to fit your purpose.

Edited by Ludde

• 3 weeks later...

Bringin out my COVIDead ...thread... DONG!

The way I see it, open guns have comps as pretty much standard and that's the main reason why people don't run s2s (my best guess). Show me an S2 with a comp or a threaded barrel. I've only seen a pic of 2. 1 was fully custom and the other was some guy that took his checkmate barrel off and put it on an S2 - Which IMO is like a guy with a yaght on the river saying to the pleabs, hey dudes look at the ferrari engine I put in this jet ski....

And as just mentioned, the S2 barrels are hardened, so although reaming and threading could be done, lets see it BE done!

There is also round count, but I don't see that as a limiting factor unless your really into M or GM.

Moving on to load development and making walnut grips. Will post results.

Finally Pics! also threw in my daily 75B (first CZ ever) - love shoulder carry!w_comp_v2.jpg.e46721bf2fa9b4af9d0e36862ec9b178.jpgShoulderHolsterButter.jpg.dc7462581777f1c66ff86778c7a0e156.jpg

I'm working on new grips/magwell.

Another test round today. 
Minor PF rounds = jams (assuming more weight of barrel/comp)

Using SWMP (new to me - heard good stuff)

5 groups of 5 bullets over the chrono - I start LOW

6.5 ~915

7.0 ~1020

7.4 ~1105

7.6 ~1140

7.8 ~1150

Loving this powder so far, next test batch will tell more. Comp stayed in time GTG!

6 hours ago, AcePrater said:

Ahh yes, proof in effect that its working? Would a mini comp that is just for show still function with lighter loaded minor PF rounds I saw one on another fugly gun and am now left wondering.

Yes, you can also experiment with lighter springs (recoil and hammer).

More PF testing today. this gun is coming together nicely and I'm loving SWMP. I just did 5 shot groups for testing.

Comp is holding time! I went back and added some red 272 on the inside of the comp threads where they come through the 1st chamber of the comp. I sopped the extra up with a Q tip. Let dry for a day and a half. 

I'm up to 8.80 gns @1283 and 159PF - NOTICABLE power increase from the previous load level, brass ejected ~3 ft, no jams, very faint square ejector mark, very slight cratering.

This gun is becoming a sweet shooter for sure!

Leaning toward another D/T for cheely & Cmore next. Will post up when I actually get to major.

Edit - Cheely mount on the way. It was $30 cheaper for Labor day sale so done...stay tuned.

Edited by AcePrater

I had to tune the big stick in order to load 29 rounds with the CZC base pad. I used Aandabooks mag tuning guide to tune the mag. 

I don’t have any problems with any type of bullets (RN, TC, JHP etc) after tuning the big stick.

For the control rib: 0.735” just above the mag catch hole

Feed lips: 0.365” in the rear, 0.375” in the front

Edited by George16
Added info

Finally made 9 MAJ!

First match this year (for me) is coming up this weekend. I figured I might as well jump in to open. So... Using SWMP I was able to make 5 shot avg. of 1343. I had a nice 45 min drive in the miata through the hills to shoot 3 groups of 5 rounds/power levels. The last made major, just as I had estimated based on prev data interpolation. Range was full, 3 separate groups of dads and young sons with all smiles. Ruger 22s rounded off the day and leftover clays on the berm.

No jams, brass ejects ~5ft, very faint breech face mark on primer, very slight cratering, slight swipe, slightly flattened. Still not as bad as normal Facotry Speer GDs, so I'm calling that GTG.

I have Cheely C more mount on the way.  The C more will have to be next payday.

Looking for advice on:

• Do I need to have an actual C-more in hand to get good mounting options/positions?
  • What kind of slide racker would you guys recommend, or do you bend/mill your own?
  • would you advise racker on left or right with assumed ^^^ setup?

Thx to all for the guidance!

One additional note. Looking back I am glad I spent the time/$ on getting the chamber reamed. I suspect that, with the longer barrel and slower powder help make major a bit more safely.  These are direct results of stalking this and the other CZ forum.

@aceprater, it’s great to hear you made 9Major with your recipe. As for the C-more, I highly recommend you have it in hand so you can dry fit it first before drilling the mounting holes.

Glad you had your barrel reamed. I had three barrels reamed by MemphisMechanic allowing me to load longer,

I’m using a Zig Racker from Shooters connection and have it mounted on the left side of the slide. My reasoning for this is to have the racker act as a stand for the gun during table starts.

Hats off again to the folks here for help with this.

Have cheely mount in hand, but its not the horiz offset so gonna get that swapped.
What is the best dot size for c more in bama sun. I'm thinking 8MOA but newb so plz schl?

The gun seemed to run great besides one mag issue with the first round. First action match in a year so a bit rusty but it was pretty fun. Looking back at those popper shots its pretty good POI, probably a couple inches high, but I'll take it until the dot.

Edited by AcePrater

• 3 weeks later...

So.. dropped off the gun at local shop to have it mounted to the SP-01.

Learned a couple of things:

With the horiz setup, it blocks the left side view of the sights, so that forces you to work from left to right. Also must remove rea sight to dis assemble the gun. so a slide racker is next.

He said lots of guys are running CO style dots (frame mounted) on open guns now. My reply was well, this is bought so I'm running it.

He also said hes getting out of open major because slides only last about 20-30k rounds. I doubt this one will see a fraction of that.

So, three holes drilled and tapped in the frame, he uses bigger screws, and then a couple holes drilled in the comp for set screws in the side.

In other news, I went by my other local enabler looking for a 97 and got talked into a SAR P8L. Ergos and finish are great!

• 2 weeks later...

Its mounted, sighted in and ran it yesterday. 

When I pulled it out my wife said "is all that laser stuff IDPA legal"? lol...

She helped me sight it in with clays on the 50yd berm.

The grip broke, I knew it would. I have replacement in development.

Now on to the holster, with this big honking 90 offset thing, Im thinknig racemaster or similar, but I'm also cheap so I have some options in mind.  For Holster, has anyone just bought the racemaster holster inserts and milled/formed their own cradle/attachment?

Already left the battery on all night after some dry draws and it seemed dim in the sunlight now. Need to grab a couple of back up batts and make the on off part of load and chamber checking.

Smith removed the rear sight (which will be going on old 75B). He tapped the comp on top with a set screw and red locktite. He timed the barrel correclty and rockset it. He said the comp is already eroding and wont last. My reply was Donk Care, gonna run it till it breaks and then make another. He also makes his own comps with Ti, so he has those capabilities for the future.

Loads shot pretty good, brass seemed to show very slight cratering on primer, but still nothing worse than factory HD rounds I've commonly seen in factory guns.. I ran this batch of rounds on the 650 with the Dillon powder drop and an extra baffle. checking loads very often, they all came out within +/- .1 gn. so they all went in the bin - Previous batches were all hand weighed/confirmed off the press.

If I get a holster this weekend I may run uspsa, otherwise will be 3 gun with NEW 97B!, garand and 870. decisions decisions...

DOTmount3.jpg

DOTmount4.jpg

Did a bit of load testing today with other pistols and ran the gun again.

got: Avg-1374 with 124s using same load as prev. Dot on clays at 50. 97B and 6ARC also ran great.

I noticed that the dot never really left the window, it just jumped to the top and then back down.

My next batch I am going to back it down a hair.

Love the CZs!