Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So I'm going to my first non-level 1 match. Any tips?

random_guy7531

1 hour ago, cjsmith223 said:

are videos allowed for arbitrating a DQ? In 3 gun they are not is why i ask. Ok i think i can handle those. Thanks

Not in USPSA.

11.1.5 Retain Evidence – An appellant is required to inform the Range Master of his wish to present his appeal to the Arbitration Committee and may request that the officials retain any and all relevant documentary or other evidence pending the hearing. Photos, audio and/or video record-ings will not be accepted as evidence.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, cjsmith223 said:

are videos allowed for arbitrating a DQ?    In 3 gun they are not. 

At the Nat'l Match, there was no arbitration - the RO called the DQ and when

the shooter objected, the RO showed him the video, and the shooter recanted.

I admit I used it on someone once. I was just a bystander filming my buddy, and when I played it back a little to make sure I had a good recording, it caught him at a run with his finger in the trigger guard. I called him off to the side and mentioned his finger, and as expected he started howling like a scalded cat.

Then I showed him the video. He humbled up real quick!

?

The rule says it isn't admissible in an arbitration, but it seems it can still have some useful purpose in certain circumstances.

1 hour ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

So you cant arbitrate at all at the nationals? 

44 minutes ago, ima45dv8 said:

I admit I used it on someone once. I was just a bystander filming my buddy, and when I played it back a little to make sure I had a good recording, it caught him at a run with his finger in the trigger guard. I called him off to the side and mentioned his finger, and as expected he started howling like a scalded cat.

Then I showed him the video. He humbled up real quick!

?

The rule says it isn't admissible in an arbitration, but it seems it can still have some useful purpose in certain circumstances.

when you put it like that i can see it having some good uses. I guess we all think we are right at times and need to be shown from a different point of view ?

1 hour ago, cjsmith223 said:
2 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

So you cant arbitrate at all at the nationals? 

Yes, of course you can.

I think Jack is just relating one particular incident where someone, after seeing the video provided, realized they were at fault and scrapped the idea of arbitrating the call.

It also sounds a bit like the shooter didn't understand the particular obstacles imposed when trying to arbitrate a safety-related DQ. 

1 minute ago, ima45dv8 said:

Yes, of course you can.

I think Jack is just relating one particular incident where someone, after seeing the video provided, realized they were at fault and scrapped the idea of arbitrating the call.

It also sounds a bit like the shooter didn't understand the particular obstacles imposed when trying to arbitrate a safety-related DQ. 

ah ok now i see.

This is all really great advice. Thanks a bunch!

In particular, I needed this one:

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 8:13 PM, Beef15 said:

Don't show up with new shoes, or an untested anything. Definitely don't go changing spring rates the night before.

I was rather explicitly planning on changing out my striker spring due to known problems with the stock one breaking strikers (Canik TP9SFX). I will instead *not* be doing that, and it will have to wait until after the match.

So I have a few follow up questions:

1. I always shoot factory ammo - I lack the apartment space for a reloading setup so I'm stuck with what I can buy. Because of this, I never put my gun on a chrono before. Is that worth doing? Or am I safe in assuming that factory ammo should make the chrono? I typically use Remington UMC 115 grain FWIW.
  2. A bunch of people have mentioned to bring a chair. Is there one that most people like? I only have a shoulder bag so Ill have to tote a chair around the old fashioned way -  I didn't know if there was a compact style of chair people like in particular.

Just now, random_guy7531 said:

1.  am I safe in assuming that factory ammo should make the chrono?

2.  bring a chair. Is there one that most people like?

1.  No.  Depends on the ammo and on your gun.   Rem green box 115 always came in at PF127 in my BHP, but another gun might go sub-minor

2.  I mentioned the chair, and I never bring one    :surprise:   I bring a 5 gallon plastic container with the removable top - store all my gear in the box

and sit on it.    Carry only one thing that is small and light, and have a "chair" to boot    :) 

4 hours ago, random_guy7531 said:

I was rather explicitly planning on changing out my striker spring due to known problems with the stock one breaking strikers (Canik TP9SFX). I will instead *not* be doing that, and it will have to wait until after the match.

1. I always shoot factory ammo - I lack the apartment space for a reloading setup so I'm stuck with what I can buy. Because of this, I never put my gun on a chrono before. Is that worth doing? Or am I safe in assuming that factory ammo should make the chrono? I typically use Remington UMC 115 grain FWIW.
  2. A bunch of people have mentioned to bring a chair. Is there one that most people like? 

If the spring is prone to breakage and you have many rounds on it you might want to change it, for factory I wouldn't worry much. Any other rate I would want at least a couple hundred rounds of making sure it doesn't light strike. 

115s I wouldn't trust to make PF. I would really try to find someone with a chrono, you're gambling to trust a box label on bulk ammo.

I like the little camp/hunting stools. X frame, fold into a rectangle, pretty light usually have a carry strap.

Edited by Beef15

3 hours ago, random_guy7531 said:

2. A bunch of people have mentioned to bring a chair. Is there one that most people like? I only have a shoulder bag so Ill have to tote a chair around the old fashioned way -  I didn't know if there was a compact style of chair people like in particular.

UMC ammo has been specifically named as going sub-minor. Chrono or maybe shoot for no score...

Years ago before I started reloading I had some UMC 115g and it would shoot 120-123 pf through my Glock 17 with a lone wolf barrel. I would definitely check it. I don't know what they do at a major if you don't at least make minor PF but I don't think i would want to chance it. 

28 minutes ago, ima45dv8 said:

Did the match advertise that competitors would not be required to assist with resetting the stages?

If not, you probably won't need a chair.

There is matches that you dont have to reset?? 

Our IPSC Region has lots of Level II Matches where paying competitors don't have to reset.

ROs and helpers shoot for free. They arrive the previous day, build - or finish building - the range, and shoot a Pre Match that counts for match score.

3 hours ago, cjsmith223 said:

That’s interesting. I’ve never been to a match where you didn’t have to reset. I did shoot ft benning 3 gun last year and it was optional. Just didn’t feel right not helping. 

Ft Benning is the only match I've seen where they have "Volunteers" (From what I heard the commander told them) reset the match.  As Cjsmith said, I helped out.  I was already used to doing it in local matches.

on a side note, If you ever get a chance to go to benning, Tanks are a awesome sight.

6 hours ago, ima45dv8 said:

Did the match advertise that competitors would not be required to assist with resetting the stages?

If not, you probably won't need a chair.

I reset matches and still find time to relax in a "chair" at most matches    :) 

Locally we've had a lot of Level II's where the shooters finished 10-12 stages in a single half-day format. Small squads with lots of RO's to do all of reset while the shooters are preparing for their run at the stage makes things go quickly.