Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Shadow 2 owner, contemplating mods.

John_

So I just picked up my new Shadow 2 from my FFL Tuesday, and went to the range yesterday. Ran 200-250 rounds thru her and nary a single issue. This is my first CZ pistol purchase and I am really impressed with the Shadow 2 accuracy and construction quality. It is a fine and well built/designed and executed handgun.

So my question is I am contemplating modifying it, ordering reduced power hammer, trigger return, and FP springs. And the CGW extended FP and probably their race hammer too. I have done some gunsmithing in the past, 1911 mods, put together prob 10 AR15 rifles and pistols. I feel confident I can execute this on the Shadow. (especially with the info/photo threads here doing action work) My objectives are to lighten the DA and SA pulls (mostly the DA, it has to be 10# right now), and remove the 1/16, 3/32 trigger creep in the SA pull/break.

But in doing so, I would throw away the CZ 5 year warranty on the pistol. That's a bitter pill to swallow and causes me to pause. So what are you guys opinions and thoughts on this? Losing the CZ warranty with action mods. This question really applies to any Shadow, Shadow 2, TSO...any  CZ pistol owner contemplating action mods really. 

Thoughts/experiences?

And to add: can any body tell me the correct diameter of the Shadow 2 front sight fiber optic rod? I also want to order a spare segment. Thx. 

Edited by John_

1 hour ago, DesertTortoise said:

I don't have a shadow 2, just a regular SP01. 

I would just polish up the internals and change the hammer spring and see how you like that.

Was it a new purchase? Did you have any real concern for trashing the CZ warranty?

I'm getting the feeling CZs are like rock solid. But things do fail down the road sometimes. Part of my thinking is to put 200-500 rounds thru it to prove it, then go forward with mods. But I'm asking here because of the experienced hands here and years on CZ pistols, and thousands of rounds run thru em. 

Having shot a number of shadow 2's ranging from bone stock to full custom builds, I feel confident in saying that CZ got this gun pretty close to perfect out of the box. 

What I would recommend:

11.5# HS if you want to run fed/win, 13# if you don't wanna worry about it

An extended firing pin and reduced power spring (CZC or CGW) for cheap reliability insurance

Polish internals, including the leading edge of the FP retaining plate and hammer strut. 

A disconnector of your choice, if you really wanna get wild.

Depending on how hot your ammo is, and how you like to see sights, a 10-12# recoil spring will be good.

Other than that, grips and sights are all I'd change, but those are subjective.

As far as the warranty goes - I wouldn't be worried at all. 

Edited by reverse_edge

Pretty much what reverse said, unless you just like to tinker like I do the shadow 2 is pretty much gtg right out of the box. I went for the full Cajun build and I don’t think you’ll regret it but you certainly don’t need it.

6 hours ago, reverse_edge said:

Having shot a number of shadow 2's ranging from bone stock to full custom builds, I feel confident in saying that CZ got this gun pretty close to perfect out of the box. 

What I would recommend:

11.5# HS if you want to run fed/win, 13# if you don't wanna worry about it

An extended firing pin and reduced power spring (CZC or CGW) for cheap reliability insurance

Polish internals, including the leading edge of the FP retaining plate and hammer strut. 

A disconnector of your choice, if you really wanna get wild.

Depending on how hot your ammo is, and how you like to see sights, a 10-12# recoil spring will be good.

Other than that, grips and sights are all I'd change, but those are subjective.

As far as the warranty goes - I wouldn't be worried at all. 

11.5 runs everything for me. I think it goes for most owners as well. You have to run the extended FP combo with it though.

Another option would be to simply shoot it as-is. Gun probably isn't holding you back, you have piece of mind re: the warranty, and you get a lot more familiar with the gun before you decide whether/if/when to modify that thing. 

I picked mine up as an impulse purchase, with no intention whatsoever of switching out of Limited. Touched the gun, bought it, and switched to Production on the spot. 

I agree with previously stated advice to leave it stock or near stock for a while. 

After experimenting with a Pre B Disco & Comp hammer I discovered that to me at least these were not really upgrades but just a way to change the way the trigger feels.  I found that other than a little take up I personally prefer the stock parts. 

John I'm kinda in same boat as you I just got a shadow a couple weeks ago. I had to order mine and while I was waiting I ordered a 13 lb hammer spring, a reduced firing pin spring and a couple lighter recoil springs. I changed the springs before I shot it the springs did lightened things up some but the more I shoot it the more I like it can't decide if I want change the disco and hammer or not. My sa pull is just a little over 3-1/2 pounds and not sure what the da pull is because my gage don't go high enough. It has seemed like its gotten a little better with use though Between dry fire and shooting it I believe it's improved on its own a little lol.

Edited by Dwbsig

Congrats on the purchase! It’s a great gun. I have a CZC Shadow 2 and run an 11lb hammer spring. It has a nice crisp trigger, but still around 7.5lb DA and 3.5lb SA.

I also have plain Jane S2 with Cajun springs (11lb hammer as well), but stock hammer and mild polishing. The trigger is not as crisp, especially the reset, but the weight is much lighter. 6lb DA and 2ish SA.

All that being said, I actually prefer the plain Jane gun with stock hammer and lighter but less crisp trigger. Is it all in my head? Probably, split times and accuracy are similar after the first DA shot. I second the idea to start with a Cajun spring kit if you want to tinker and go from there. They are solid firearms and I have not heard of very many if any warranty claims being submitted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, John_ said:

Was it a new purchase? Did you have any real concern for trashing the CZ warranty?

I really have never considered the warranty on firearms. Im confident I can fix anything other than the frame by swapping parts or minor work.  I was getting a lot of magazine malfunctions when the gun was new, +10% magazine springs solved that for me, but I imagine some folks would have sent the gun back to CZ.

My CZ P07 needed the chamber throat opened up to run factory hollow points. I did think about sending the gun back for that, but ended up buying a reamer and fixed it in a few minutes. 

If your gun runs now (sounds like it does), then make it work for you.

The stock SP01 needed a lot more than the shadow 2 does. You will probably just want to change some springs out or run it as is.

7 hours ago, newmexk5 said:

Congrats on the purchase! It’s a great gun. I have a CZC Shadow 2 and run an 11lb hammer spring. It has a nice crisp trigger, but still around 7.5lb DA and 3.5lb SA.

I also have plain Jane S2 with Cajun springs (11lb hammer as well), but stock hammer and mild polishing. The trigger is not as crisp, especially the reset, but the weight is much lighter. 6lb DA and 2ish SA.

All that being said, I actually prefer the plain Jane gun with stock hammer and lighter but less crisp trigger. Is it all in my head? Probably, split times and accuracy are similar after the first DA shot. I second the idea to start with a Cajun spring kit if you want to tinker and go from there. They are solid firearms and I have not heard of very many if any warranty claims being submitted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thx. Yes, it is a fine pistol out of the box. I am really impressed with the overall quality and the improvements CZ made to the lower, the grip area. I can get my shooting hand up so far, so close to the bore. It makes a measurable  difference. The S2 is the finest pistol I have ever purchased in 25 years. 

I measured the SA creep yesterday using some tape and a caliper. Creep is about 1.5mm, and i can live with that really. My real objective is to lighten the DA pull as it is. It makes that first shot difficult to stay on target. It can be done but it takes real effort and slows me down big time. I really have no complaints about the SA pull from the factory. A shorter reset would be nice too, but that takes some fitting and time to make go away. A new disco. Not now, maybe another day.

I'm leaning to changing the hammer spring to 11.5#, and installing a CGW 25% reduced power trigger return spring. And the extended FP and its spring. And polishing a few things while I have it apart. Going to hold off on the race hammer for now. Springs and polish more or less. Oh and the replacement CGW trigger pin too. Hardened and polished. The stock trigger return spring is formative right now, being a new firearm. 

SA cocked: SA_cocked.jpg

Edited by John_

Oh, and I adjusted the trigger over travel setscrew yesterday before these pics were taken. That helped too. They had it backed out from the factory, flat with the rear of trigger. Helps with jerking the pistol when the DA breaks. I don't have a gauge but the DA right now has to be 10#, maybe 11. Smooth pull but formidable.

I used professor Atlas’ polishing tutorial here in the forums when I polished my shadow 2. Along with with installation of the 11.5# hammer spring, reduced power firing pin spring, extended firing pin, reduced power trigger pin spring, floating trigger pin, 10# recoil spring, my DA is 5# 4.3 ozs while SA is 1# 9.9 ozs. After all these, it was further enhanced by installing the T3 disco which I fitted.

Trigger is crisp, no creep and reset is very short. It also lights off CCI, Winchester, and all other primers I have used.

51 minutes ago, George16 said:

I used professor Atlas’ polishing tutorial here in the forums when I polished my shadow 2. Along with with installation of the 11.5# hammer spring, reduced power firing pin spring, extended firing pin, reduced power trigger pin spring, floating trigger pin, 10# recoil spring, my DA is 5# 4.3 ozs while SA is 1# 9.9 ozs. After all these, it was further enhanced by installing the T3 disco which I fitted.

Trigger is crisp, no creep and reset is very short. It also lights off CCI, Winchester, and all other primers I have used.

My plan sounds just like urs, less the new disco. I just ordered the parts from Ben Stoeger Pro shop. If I get results close to you, i will be very happy. Mostly the DA down to 6# would really please me. I might do a disco and comp trigger down the road perhaps. How difficult is it to fit the T3 disco?  How much time of trial and error would you estimate?

Reason I ask is I have never fitted a disco but with all the resources available, Atlas's pic by pic, and another thread i found on the same, I'm sure I could pull it off. Really just becomes a matter of studying and understanding the pistol's trigger mechanism  and design and function. And work/remove material slowly I imagine.

Thanks for the input, George.

Edited by John_

Fitting the disco wasn’t hard at all. It was my first time too. Just have a lot of patience installing/removing/reinstalling the parts during the fitting process. It’s all worth it after you’re done.

Mark the area you’re going to remove with a sharpie and remove material in small increments and test fit after each removal step.

plan at least a few hours or so for the whole firing process. Go slow and be patient. If in doubt, stop and ask questions before you proceed. Good luck.

George, another question. Why did you drop all the way down to a 10# recoil spring? Are you shooting lower power reloads?

From what i have read/gleaned from here and there, S2 stock is 14#. Thats a pretty big change in recoil spring force. A 28% reduction.

Yes, I’m shooting mouse fart reloads for USPSA production minor. It’s around 128pf on the chrono. Less felt recoil and gets me back in target quicker.

I have tried 11, 13, 15 and 16# springs and I like how the 10# felt when I shoot compared to the other springs.