Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help a 2011 newbie.. Open gun on the way.

biggulp

Long story short:  Shot a friend's DVC 3Gun a few weeks back and fell in love.  Kept trying to convince myself I didn't need one because I knew I'd eventually want a red dot, and a comp, and shooting minor limited is a disadvantage and open guns were just to expensive and so on.  Well, yesterday I ran into a dealer that needed to unload a new 2017 DVC Open and I absolutely could not pass up the deal so I jumped.  It'll be here Tuesday, and I'd like to run it in a match next Sunday.

So... HELP!  I need a holster, mags, etc., and no idea where to start.  I run primarily steel challenge and falling plate matches.  Also, I don't reload yet (don't yell)

Holster: I'll spend the money to do this right, but I don't want to blow cash either.. Does the Safariland 014 at $120 work or should I just go Alpha-X with all the options and be done with it?

Mag carriers/Belt: I have a couple of Blade Tech belts and some Ghost 360 pouches.  Will that combo hinder me at all in the kind of matches I shoot?  If so, what should I look at?

Mags: I want to grab a couple more mags (gun ships with 2) to get started:  Can I buy STI gen2 mags and reasonably expect them to run factory ammo without much tinkering?

For now, I plan to run factory ammo (Magtech 124 grain).  From what I've read, a spring swap is in order.  Is 7 lbs a good place to start?

Finally: Any other "must haves"?  Thanks for the help/info!

I like DDA holster or new x I have older DDA 3 yrs works great. DAA mag pouch or cr speed both great. The blade tech belt  u will be fine.i shot a steel challenge match last week. I ran 8 lb recoil spring ran flawlessly. U going to shoot open major u going to have to reload at some point. Everglades sells 9 major ammo

I used an 014 for many years, no complaints about it. I now use an Alpha X, I like it better because I don't have to fool with the nose piece, but they both were serviceable. Your choice.

Don't know about the Gen 2 STI mags, I had nothing but trouble with the gen 1, sold them and bought MBX and haven't looked back.

Your belt and mag pouches will be fine. I could never get mine to work well on minor ammo so I don't use it, yes you can buy major ammo, but I've found that every open gun  likes a different load for optimum performance (plus the cost difference). You should probably be looking around for a deal on a Dillon.

Mbx mags.

Alpha X holster.  I had the usa holster and older AA.  I really like the Alpha X.

Mag pouches.   Cr speed are fine.  AA mag pouches are nicer looking.pouch, but i dont think much better.  A buddy just bought the Alpha X mag pouches.  May actually be too adjustable for Open.  Dont necessarily need everything they offer in Open as you might want for Production where every little bit of space counts.

Have fun 

15 hours ago, biggulp said:

I run factory ammo (Magtech 124 grain).  

Any other "must haves"? 

You need a reloader, chrono, scale, case cleaner and calipers.

You also need to set aside at least three hours later this week to

practice with your new gun before the weekend's match    :)

Have a blast    :cheers:

Thanks to everyone for the input and advice. A friend loaned me a CR Speed holster and a spare mag so I can get some trigger time this week and run the match next weekend.

It's going to be a while before I can start reloading so Im going to order a couple of boxed of Atlanta Arms major ammo just to check it out.

I run Double Alpha Gear and Belt. I use the STI Gen2 mags..I tuned up the feed lips and they have ran with zero problems since.

They did run factory ammo with zero problems. Mine were just a bit tight and did not like to drop free. Atlas has some videos on that, they have been 100% since. 

I just repleaced all the guts and base pads with TTI and still 100%

Edited by TRPOperator

Gun arrived this afternoon and I ran 150 rounds through it (100 Magtech 124, 50 Federal HST +P).  A few hiccups within the first 20 rounds of Magtech, but otherwise 100%.  C-More was dim out of the box, but a quick battery replacement fixed that.  Got it dialed in and then it was just WOW... It swung extremely well and accuracy was borderline unfair.  Ran through our plate setup several times, then shot the staples out of my target at 20 yards (5 shots to get all 4, so not THAT perfect).

Thanks to the classifieds here, I'm mostly set on gear.  Grabbed a couple of STI 140s and an Alpha-X.  Also have 300 rounds of Everglades major ammo due to be delivered Thursday.  Off now to practice drawing from my borrowed CR Speed.

BTW: Am I paying a $49 stupid tax or will my DVC Open will work in the Alpha-X with a PT insert?  Seller clearly listed the PT insert in the ad, but I completely missed it until about 2 seconds after posting "I'll take it".. D'oh! 

2 hours ago, biggulp said:

Gun arrived this afternoon and I ran 150 rounds through it (100 Magtech 124, 50 Federal HST +P).  A few hiccups within the first 20 rounds of Magtech, but otherwise 100%.  C-More was dim out of the box, but a quick battery replacement fixed that.  Got it dialed in and then it was just WOW... It swung extremely well and accuracy was borderline unfair.  Ran through our plate setup several times, then shot the staples out of my target at 20 yards (5 shots to get all 4, so not THAT perfect).

Thanks to the classifieds here, I'm mostly set on gear.  Grabbed a couple of STI 140s and an Alpha-X.  Also have 300 rounds of Everglades major ammo due to be delivered Thursday.  Off now to practice drawing from my borrowed CR Speed.

BTW: Am I paying a $49 stupid tax or will my DVC Open will work in the Alpha-X with a PT insert?  Seller clearly listed the PT insert in the ad, but I completely missed it until about 2 seconds after posting "I'll take it".. D'oh! 

Go ahead and order the proper insert, then swap them out and list the PT insert in the classifieds. That will make it less of a financial pain.

Thanks again to everyone for the guidance.  I ran the DVC Open in a match on Saturday morning and was pretty much thrilled with the results.  Fired approximately 110 rounds of the Everglades 9mm major ammo with no ammo related issues.  Both of the mags I picked up from the classifieds here ran perfectly as did the 140mm that shipped with the gun, but the 170 (which I hadn't tested previously) experienced a failure to feed on the 2nd stage of the day.  Tested the 170 after the match and found that it wouldn't run reliably with any ammo in my gun or my friends DVC 3Gun.  Found a badly warped spacer and debris in the tube, so cleaned that up and ordered steel spacers, Dawson base pads, and Grams guts for both factory mags.

My setup.  DAA Race Master holster and 3 Race Master mag pouches, one with a magnet.  DAA belt.  Mags, MBX all the way.  Buy once cry once.  I have been through about every brand and tuner 2011 mags on the planet.  Adrian at MBX has it down.  Ammo will be tough if you plan to shoot major.  Very few off the shelf options.  Find a buddy with a chrono to confirm the ammo you buy makes PF in your gun.