Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Huenig pistolsmith...

Anyone out there know anything about Huenig?  

As I recall he used to build race cars, then went into gunsmithing, then back into race cars.  Does anyone have any more info on him, and maybe the correct spelling of his name so an internet search will be productive?

Thanks  

If it is the same guy, I think he was a riflesmith as well.  Built the first .460 G&A for Robert Peterson back in the 80's.  At that time, the guy I am thinking of, lived in Montana.  First name was George.

(Edited by tightloop at 4:53 pm on Dec. 6, 2002)

His business was World Class Pistols. I think they were in Indiana. They made a lot of P9 parts for IPSC guns: sears, triggers, hammers, titanium guide rods, slide stop pins, magazine extensions. (I heard Doug Koenig purchased their inventory.) He built guns too, with an good reputation.

Just looking at the picture you show, the rifle guy I am thinking about may be this guy's dad.  They are almost twins, but your picture shows a guy in his late 30's or 40's and my guy is older.  sorry for the misleading info, your guy must be Junior.

OK - first hand experience.

George was well known for his work on P-9's many years ago. In fact it was well rumored that he was Springfields back-up gunsmith for those guns. This is evidenced by the earlier post that Doug used his gun to win the world shoot.

He also built one of the first automatics used in the Bianchi - and he got several AH articles written about his guns. I believe Doug used a Huening gun to win his second Bianchi title (with an auto I believe)

When I fist got into the sport and bought my first race gun it was a P-9 and TGO himself sent me to George to build the gun. It was really great. It worked well and George was good about making certain everything was right. I used it for several years before switching to a plastic gun.

I think George has a pretty good reputation and I think his guns were first rate. He designed one of the first scope mounts that (back then) wouldn't break a scope every 100 rounds. Coincidentally I just read the AH article on Mark Cosat's springs - Mark used to be the number 2 man in George's shop. In the end George also had a stronge reputation in the racing industry and I believe he returned to that.

Probably more than you wanted to know . . .

JB

I don't think he ever actually ran the shop. My best guess . . . something was in the works that probably fell through.

Basically though the guns got built at the shop and then sent directy to George to fine tune them. I believe Doug maintained a relationship with him long after his contract W/ Springfield was up. Eventually Doug ended up buying either the patent or the rights to some hammer George was making - but I don't know what happened after that.

My Heater from George was great. I'd had him do some things that didn't work - but that was as much my fault as his. In the end we worked things out and life was good.

I wasn't all that great back then - but the gun served me well. I placed 4th at the Nationals Standards stage that year, 4th OA at the Coors Match in Durango CO, and I think I won AK state with that gun.

I had it chambered in 9x21, Tasco scope w/ Heuning mount, Huening barrel, Huening comp basically everything Huening.

I don't know much about Marc and his Sping business - but I do know both those guys were VERY technical. I am certain his stuff is good.

That's about all I know - I eventually sold that gun to a new IPSC shooter who to the best of my knowledge got pretty good service out of it as well.

JB

• 5 years later...
His business was World Class Pistols. I think they were in Indiana. They made a lot of P9 parts for IPSC guns: sears, triggers, hammers, titanium guide rods, slide stop pins, magazine extensions. (I heard Doug Koenig purchased their inventory.) He built guns too, with an good reputation.

Erik,

Where have you been? Haven't heard from you in quite some time.

Erik,

Where have you been? Haven't heard from you in quite some time.

Just FYI, that post was in 2002.

J

Just FYI, that post was in 2002.

J

I know.

Sorry, just wasn't sure if you saw that.

I picked up the thread and was reading it attentively and then came across my own post. WTF - I didn't post here!!! Then I realized it was a few moons ago.

J