Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

V For Vendetta

ErikW

I first read V for Vendetta as a serial in Warrior, a British anthology magazine. The first chapter I read was "Valerie" which is still one of the most incredible, heartbreaking, emotionally affecting pieces of fiction I've ever experienced in my life - in any medium. Naturally, of course, I then had to get all 27 issues of Warrior (which fortunately the store had), not realizing at the time it had been CANCELLED, like, the month before. The last chapter publiished was one of the biggest cliffhangers imaginable. It was that wonderful full page panel in which V says to Evey Hammond, "Welcome," in case you were wondering. It was another three frickin' years before I got to read the rest of the story.

You're really missing something by not getting to see the original covers from Warrior that featured V for Vendetta. There was never a cover on that magazine that wasn't excellent, but some of the V for Vendetta stuff was particularly memorable. Picture a photo cover of a darkened alley. At the end of the alley, we see a human figure in silhouette, standing on top of a building, wearing V's distinctive cloak and Puritan hat, and the tagline, "Pray the Future Will Never Need....V for Vendetta!"

Ah, good stuff.

Warrior ceased publication in 1985. In 1988 DC Comics reunited Alan Moore (the writer responsible for the original stories on which the movies From Hell and The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen were based) and artist David Lloyd to finish the series, which was published in 12 monthly issues, then collected in hardback and trade paperback. Be aware, by the way, that the original Warrior stories had the artwork printed in black and white, but the DC stuff has been "colorized" in pastels. I think Lloyd's art looked better in black and white, it had a very harsh chiariscuro effect that worked really well with the grim subject matter.

I've thought for years that V for Vendetta would make an extraordinary movie, but I question whether the intellects (hack! cough!) behind the last two Matrix movies can do it justice.

As raz-0 mentioned, you can order the collected V for Vendetta through Amazon.com. It's one of Alan Moore's better pieces of work - and that's saying something.

Of course, checking further I do see they've got Natalie Portman playing Evey Hammond and Hugo Weaving as V. This is good, though obviously they've done away with the idea that we never get to see who V is under the mask until the end of the story (and even then it's debatable if we really see who he is) which is too bad since, in my opinion, this was one of the story's best points. In the story, V is almost more than a man, he's a force of human nature, the spirit of anarchy and freedom rising up in a totalitarian state. I mean, there's a reason this guy wears a Guy Fawkes mask. He'd be diminished by being portrayed as something as common as a human being, even by so talented an actor as Hugo Weaving.

• 7 months later...

[mod note: thread merged - here]

This movie is sure to be dimissed by some as a paranoid delusion, or left-wing attack on the current administration. If you stop there with it, it seems to me that you're missing the point. There's a timely message here about the responsibility of the people to keep their government in check, and to stand up for what is right, in the face of fear and power. It also gives one pause to think about at what point does the label "terrorist" really apply... and were our country's forefathers terrorists, revolutionaries, or just the voice of the people manifested?

I won't go much into the plot, though I'll say there are definite Orwellian overtones - a fascist state being the backdrop for the movie. Natalie Portman turns in a solid performance, delivering a convincing British accent to my decidedly American ears (apologies to you Brits, if I don't know what I'm hearing :D ). Hugo Weaving delivers his usual excellent dialog skills - you don't see his face through the whole movie (for good reason and effect), but his gestures and manner of speaking can't help but evoke images of Agent Smith turned against "The Machine".

My only complaints were that Weaving's voice was a little bit low in the mix at points, and I missed some of his witty repartee - though I'll likely see this one again, and can maybe pick up on it again.

Their own personal deviances aside, the Wachowski brothers deliver a compelling screenplay, with many subtle undertones both in things said and left unsaid. This is not a simple action flick, or a simple revenge movie - though in some parts it's both.

I'd recommend it, but then, I'm into this sort of thing.... ;)

I, too, thought it was good. I saw it last night and was shocked at the low turnout. I was also shocked at the number of people that left.

It's a good movie, but not a great one. Worth seeing, though.

+1 What XRe said.

I saw it as a Libertarian point of view rather than a Liberal one. The Comic that it originated from was basicly the same and was written long before the current Adminastration took office.

Great movie, and I am a Christian Conservative (Libertarian).

I just got back from the film and must say I really enjoyed it. It's a bit different, but very relevent. I think the message that fear is often used as a political tool for advancing an agenda was certainly important and necessary (imo). I was reminded of the film "Equilibrium". I also find it important to scrutinize the use of the term "terrorist", as the word can be thrown out without much discretion. I think the film will certainly incite much discussion and also call viewers to think about the role that governments play. Though the film is set in the future and seems a bit spectacular, its basic message and vision isn't that far fetched. I liked the way the Wach. brothers bring it all together in the end (oh, and it had some pretty cool action scenes)!! The film gets my thumbs up!

+1 on the reviews, I just got back from the movie, quite a good turnout for a Saturday afternoon, about 80% full.

Hugo Weaving is great, the sound was not too good, this is a common problem at movie theatres, they over-emphasise the bass and that drowns out speech in some cases. V has some great dialog so I for one will be getting this DVD when it comes out.

Natalie Portman's English accent is bang-on. Most actors over-do the accent, hers was pitch perfect and her performance was outstanding.

As a victim of the British government gun ban I must admit that the finale made me giggle. The movie stayed fairly close to the original book though I suspect that when it comes out on DVD there may be a few extra scenes.

+2 (one for me, one for my wife) :D

Loved it. Fan-bloody-tastic. Natalie Portman in her opening scene is a stunner. :wub: My wife says it is one of the better movies she's seen in the last few years. I have a renewed appreciation for the 1812 Overture. And, I can't wait for the DVD.

I just looked up who played V. I've been thinking of who's voice that was and was reminded (I find out now, correctly) of Agent Smith from The Matrix (and didn't put 2 and 2 together in XRe's post). Great vocal performance.

I just looked up who played V. I've been thinking of who's voice that was and was reminded (I find out now, correctly) of Agent Smith from The Matrix (and didn't put 2 and 2 together in XRe's post). Great vocal performance.

I was constantly reminded of two Matrix related snippets - the two conversations Smith has w/ Morpheus (in the first movie) and Neo (in the third movie, in the real world - which wasn't actually Weaving, but a really really good imitation). :lol: I kept waiting for the obligatory "Misssterrrr Anderrrrsoooon....." :D

V (indicating his mask): This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is it vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished, as the once vital voice of the verisimilitude now venerates what they once vilified. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified, and has vowed to vangquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition.

The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose vis-à-vis an introduction, and so it is my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

Evey: Are you like, a crazy-person?

Heh heh... yes :)

Actually, you have to heard it spoken... Weaving did a pretty impressive job w/ all those "v"s... no pun intended... ;) It's his little soliloquy - and it's really the only section of dialogue that's like that...

Spoiler below! IF you haven't seen it, and don't want to hear what happens at the end, don't say I didn't warn you!! :P

I couldn't help but flash back to Episode VI of Star Wars series when Evey was holding the dying V in her arms. Was it just me, or did anyone else think of Luke Skywalker holding a dying Darth Vader? With the mask and the heavy breathing, and the obvious connection between Natalie and Luke, I couldn't help but stifle a giggle. B)

I kept waiting for V to go "Evey, I am your father...."

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!

Spoiler below! IF you haven't seen it, and don't want to hear what happens at the end, don't say I didn't warn you!! :P

I couldn't help but flash back to Episode VI of Star Wars series when Evey was holding the dying V in her arms. Was it just me, or did anyone else think of Luke Skywalker holding a dying Darth Vader? With the mask and the heavy breathing, and the obvious connection between Natalie and Luke, I couldn't help but stifle a giggle. B)

IIRC, SHE said "he was my father..." along with a whole bunch of people she felt V represented.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!

IIRC, SHE said "he was my father..." along with a whole bunch of people she felt V represented.

Yep, I giggled a bit there too. ;)

I really enjoyed it - great movie. And ever after reading this thread beforehand and hearing friends discuss it - during the entire movie, I'm thinking - who the hell is that voice. A few times it was just so recognizable, but it still never connected. Then when the credits rolled at the end I go Ahhhh! I can't believe I didn't get it - I even "knew" coming in. Didn't see the face, didn't make the connection.

;)

I haven't seen it yet, but will. I'm heartened to hear the Wachowski brothers avoided what I thought would be their greatest departure from the book, that we never see V's face til the end. When I heard Hugo Weaving would be playing V, I thought that with an actor of his stature in the lead role, we'd be seeing him unmasked often. Cool!