Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How fast is fast in shotgunning steel plates?

Have nothing to compare with in my side of the pond. 8pcs 6-8” plates randomly placed 12-20y away spaced 1-2y apart. #6 birdshot IC choke. Beretta 1301C. Red dot. Stand n shoot. From low ready. Under 4 sec w/ some regularity. Felt really fast but Im a beginner in practical shotgun so Im wondering if its good. Or what speed should I work for?

Hard to say with the random element & low ready as it's not an IPSC start position.

But......

At 12 yards, 1st shot around 0.5 - 0.7 & target transitions around 0.2 - 0.4

More time at further distance

10 hours ago, stumpyv8 said:

Hard to say with the random element & low ready as it's not an IPSC start position.

But......

At 12 yards, 1st shot around 0.5 - 0.7 & target transitions around 0.2 - 0.4

More time at further distance

Yes the random element made it hard to define but it also adds to the difficulty. But I could set it up virtually the same as previous set ups coz I have the range. 

If I do your math at the slowest times:

lst shot .7 + 7trans@.4=2.8 total run time = 3.5sec. On the fastest side: 1st shot .5 + 7@.2=1.4 total= 1.9s. That is, at 12y w/ uniformly placed targets of same sizes. 

In my case Im in the slowest. At a more conservative mode I time 3.8 ave. when I push for speed, I average 3.5s w/ the fastest run in 3.3+s. Though my targets are more difficult I think I will have nothing to lose if I work for your fastest times. I feel there are some areas I could improve on. Just dont know yet where. Its not just triggering as fast as I can. Coming from pistol shooting, I guess its more of aiming as fast as I can. But Im new on this so I could be wrong. 

Thanks for the input

Edited by BoyGlock

Until someone else could copy your exact set up of plates you can't really define fast as it is relative instead of absolute. That's why standards, classifiers and plate racks are around.

10 hours ago, rowdyb said:

Until someone else could copy your exact set up of plates you can't really define fast as it is relative instead of absolute. That's why standards, classifiers and plate racks are around.

Agree. Im only after some sense of comparison to guide me. And being on the conservative side lessens any danger of misplaced confidence. Besides standards dont exist yet in my side of pond.  

Point of view much appreciated. 

Edited by BoyGlock

Back in the day I was into shotgun speed shooting.  There was a shotgun side match at the PSA shootout.  Start was barrel on a low post, 5 poppers spread out about 10 to 15 yards away.  My buddy and I practiced for this and out goal was first shot at .5 and .25 splits.  I did a 1.57 and my buddy did 1.52, some guy named Jerry Miculek did a 1.42.  My best time on a Texas Star was 2.14.

On 6/25/2018 at 2:03 PM, BoyGlock said:

Now how different does Sg aiming vs Hg in red dots at speed? Im more familiar w/ hg techniques so its what I can relate to. 

On 6/25/2018 at 9:30 PM, rowdyb said:

From the good shotgunners I've seen they are equal

From my own runs my sg times are much faster than hg. Think its easier for me to aim and call shots in sg w/ birdshots than in hg. Sg need not be as precise as hg to hit targets.  On same targets, my sg times are about half of my hg. And Im only a newbie in sg vs hg. Its a testament to the speed from calling shots. 

On 6/28/2018 at 7:05 AM, Old3GNR said:

Back in the day I was into shotgun speed shooting.  There was a shotgun side match at the PSA shootout.  Start was barrel on a low post, 5 poppers spread out about 10 to 15 yards away.  My buddy and I practiced for this and out goal was first shot at .5 and .25 splits.  I did a 1.57 and my buddy did 1.52, some guy named Jerry Miculek did a 1.42.  My best time on a Texas Star was 2.14.

W/ or w/o Jerry M. you guys are speed demons

8 minutes ago, Llandaff said:

Strange that Froelich was not in USA National Team :)

Listening to his interview on the 3-Gun Show, he didn’t make the team because the selection criteria were based only on USPSA and IPSC sanctioned matches and didn’t take into account any other matches. 

Our Russian national team selection criteria were based on 'who can obtain gun in France despite French anti-Russian sanctions' :( Many of our top shooters decided not to go to the World Shoot, did not want to shoot loaned guns. French government (prime minister) allowed importation of Russian guns only two weeks before the match.

But the match itself was great and the stage design fantastic.

16 minutes ago, Llandaff said:

Our Russian national team selection criteria were based on 'who can obtain gun in France despite French anti-Russian sanctions' :( Many of our top shooters decided not to go to the World Shoot, did not want to shoot loaned guns. French government (prime minister) allowed importation of Russian guns only two weeks before the match.

But the match itself was great and the stage design fantastic.

That is a bummer that your team was not able to compete in the World Shoot. My friend Scott would have beat your team anyways, so no worries there. 

On 7/2/2018 at 9:43 PM, BoyGlock said:

From my own runs my sg times are much faster than hg. Think its easier for me to aim and call shots in sg w/ birdshots than in hg. Sg need not be as precise as hg to hit targets.  On same targets, my sg times are about half of my hg. And Im only a newbie in sg vs hg. Its a testament to the speed from calling shots. 

SG is faster than HG for me too! especially on plates.  I just open up the choke and the recoil is between shots.  Sight picture doesn't need to be as precise.  If you can't go fast on plates with a SG, something is wrong.

6 hours ago, Nevadazielmeister said:

That is a bummer that your team was not able to compete in the World Shoot. My friend Scott would have beat your team anyways, so no worries there. 

Ahem :) check the results. Who got the team gold in Open? Hint: not USA.

Scott got only Shoot-off first place.