Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Advice for Newbie Running CZ Scorpion?

I recently acquired the cz scorpion evo rifle. Changed grip, safety and will do trigger & springs this weekend. Running a vortex sparc II.

Trying to decided on a decent mag holder and seeing what ammo runs the best (factory). 

Any advice from those who have been running this for a while? 

Get an extended charging handle. You'll want one for those unloaded, bolt forward starts. 

And absolutely get rail covers or ladder covers for the picatinny rails along the top and sides, so you don't cheese-grater your knuckles.

Reloads are way easier with an extended mag release too. I like the polymer one from HB Industries. 

For factory ammo - find the softest 147 gr you can find. 

-don't try to run the lightest load possible

-do not accept any mag extention or spring that doesn't run 100%

-if you hate the shape of the fore end a vertical fore grip, not just a hand stop but a grip, makes it easier to hold and control

I run a vertical fore end grip and shoot with the thumb forward. Love it.

Tune your load . I run about a 130 PF and it really is nice. Shot an MBX the other day with my ammo for comparison. The MBX was a little softer, but not by much. Not enough to sale my scorpion and buy another rifle!

Run a different mag realease, I made mine on my mill.

I also throated my barrel a little deeper, done a little work on my magwell also.

I will keep my scorpion now that I have shot it a bunch.

I have beaten all the other brands and been beaten by them as well.

http://westacholsters.com/products/cz-scorpion-single-mag-carriers

I have these. They work well. No problems. 

I also run these. I am very happy. Quick shipping, work great, and well priced.

Regarding ammo, I haven’t found anything it doesn’t like. I reload almost everything, but everything my other guns don’t like, my CZ doesn’t seem to care. It even ate my funky hollow points that were loaded all the way to mag length.

• 3 weeks later...

The extended charging handle is a must, and I really like the HBI AK style safety. I did a little polishing when putting in lighter trigger springs and that took care of any reset issues.

I've thrown all sorts of factory ammo through mine and it runs pretty much anything. I'd stay away from weaker loads.

I'm still working out the best magazine extension solution for those 30+ round stages. The manticore 32 round mags did ok for a while but I've had issues with it running realiably through the last 2-3 rounds, so I've just stuck with factory magazines.

• 1 month later...