Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
jkrispies

So, I Broke My Arm... What's my plan for the next 6 weeks?

1 plate + 8 screws = can't lift anything for at least 6 weeks.  Stupid dumb ulna.   

Physically speaking, beyond therapy of course, I'm definitely going to concentrate on losing weight first and foremost.  20 pounds needs to go, period.

Regarding the gun, It's on my support hand side, so I guess I can practice one-handed stuff, but that's going to get old quick.  Eye focus drills.  A little footwork, but I think that will be pointless if I can't combo it with a proper sight picture and form as I leave and enter the box.  I should point out that I'm shooting Steel Challenge pretty exclusively these days, but I want to keep up on all my skills.  Once I'm clear to support weight I'll hit my Steel Challenge Rimfire Rifle hard for a good long while--sub-80 seconds, here I come!!!--but I don't want to lose any more momentum than possible with regard to my firearm training during this month and a half of purgatory.  

Any suggestions from the masses for my next 6 weeks?

Edited by jkrispies

1 plate + 8 screws = can't lift anything for at least 6 weeks.  Stupid dumb ulna.   

Physically speaking, beyond therapy of course, I'm definitely going to concentrate on losing weight first and foremost.  20 pounds needs to go, period.

Regarding the gun, It's on my support hand side, so I guess I can practice one-handed stuff, but that's going to get old quick.  Eye focus drills.  A little footwork, but I think that will be pointless if I can't combo it with a proper sight picture and form as I leave and enter the box.  I should point out that I'm shooting Steel Challenge pretty exclusively these days, but I want to keep up on all my skills.  Once I'm clear to support weight I'll hit my Steel Challenge Rimfire Rifle hard for a good long while--sub-80 seconds, here I come!!!--but I don't want to lose any more momentum than possible with regard to my firearm training during this month and a half of purgatory.  

Any suggestions from the masses for my next 6 weeks?

Right after I had my right shoulder reconstruction I competed in action pistol events using a borrowed left handed holster and carried my mags in my right hand in the sling. It was excellent practice and I succeeded in not coming in last.

When I had my left shoulder rebuilt a couple years later I shot one-handed and it dramatically improved my pistol skills. I even shot a rimfire tactical 2-gun match and managed to win shooting pistol and rifle with one arm. Thankfully my rifle was very light!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I broke (well shattered) my thumb on my shooting hand. I shot weak (left) handed for 5 weeks. Got fairly good! My advice is to take it easy and get off the meds first, then start practicing one handed. Not sure what you do now for exercise but start walking, if you already walk start jogging and you guessed it....if you already jog start running. Any kind of foot drill or movement will help, you have to keep moving. It took 6 months for the swelling to go down in my thumb, it will be quicker for you, apparently small body parts get really annoying when you break them. Go here if you want to read all about it. Otherwise take it easy and listen to your body.

Broke my strong side elbow in Spring '16.  Shooting is my only vice so I continued with dryfire and livefire practice but weakhand only.  Hard to get much exercise other than walking with that darn cast but every little bit helps.   

The only recommendation I have is listen to your doctor and don't push it past your comfort level.  I did that on an earlier surgery and all it did was cause me unnecessary pain and prolong the healing period.    Six weeks sounds like a long time to lay off shooting especially at the start of the shooting season, but it will end.

Good luck with the recovery and the weight loss.

I know a shooter who blew up their strong hand in a reloading incident (long story). He shot WHO for 6 weeks or so while it healed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like a good opportunity to make the most of this unfortunate incident and practice accuracy fundamentals. I started off my shooting "career" with ISSF air pistol, which gave me a solid base to transition to practical.

I would not underestimate the value of one handed shooting for six weeks.

If keeps you in the game, and you will find going to two handed shooting

much better and easier after all that one handed shooting    :) 

A very light .22 might help speed up the time when you can get back

to using the weak hand again.

AND, losing weight ALWAYS helps    :cheers:

Can you use your arm at all?

We have a shooter at our club who has two arms, but only his left hand.  He shoots open and PCC.  His support arm just rests on the gun. He's a decent shooter.

5 hours ago, stick said:

Can you use your arm at all?

Unfortunately, I can't... or shouldn't at least, per the doctor's orders.  I haven't been able to chat him up too much since I've only seen him in from gurney level, but from the look of his physique, I think I was fortunate to get an orthopedist who is an athlete as well, so I'm trusting him more than others in this regard.  It was a compound fracture that broke through the skin, and the x-ray showed a bunch of "foreign matter debris" they had to clean out from inside me (ie, dirt and rocks that shoved through the hole) on top of the break, so when they cut me open it was more than just screwing the bone together.  I was riding my mountain bike and the front wheel locked up due to a brake malfunction-- I tried to do a ninja roll over the handle bars but at 45yo I'm not quite as catlike as I used to be, lol.  The doctor's orders right now is no weight on it for 6-8 weeks, but maybe I'll heal quicker than that.  The physical therapists who checked me out at the hospital were impressed at my range of motion--I can straighten and curl it almost completely, really limited by the bandage wrap more than anything--but I can't twist my wrist much at all.  I can almost close my hand but the grip strength is reduced.  I'm hoping that will come back quickly.  As luck would have it, before this happened I was buying parts to rebuild my 10/22 into a more lightweight platform, thank goodness.  That will help get me back in the game quicker.  

Edited by jkrispies

Take it easy and follow doctors orders.  Ever since I hit 50 this year, I don't heal like I used to and everything hurts.  Steel challenge will still be there when you're able to shoot.  No sense in rushing it and possibly doing damage that will cause more issues later on.

Wait 'till you get to 60...last couple of times I had surgeries I switched to .22 and as I started to heal bunny fart loads in 9 & 38 all shooting WHO.  Also, lots of dryfire WHO with some laser ammo.