Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So, I Broke My Arm... What's my plan for the next 6 weeks?

jkrispies

1 plate + 8 screws = can't lift anything for at least 6 weeks.  Stupid dumb ulna.   

Physically speaking, beyond therapy of course, I'm definitely going to concentrate on losing weight first and foremost.  20 pounds needs to go, period.

Regarding the gun, It's on my support hand side, so I guess I can practice one-handed stuff, but that's going to get old quick.  Eye focus drills.  A little footwork, but I think that will be pointless if I can't combo it with a proper sight picture and form as I leave and enter the box.  I should point out that I'm shooting Steel Challenge pretty exclusively these days, but I want to keep up on all my skills.  Once I'm clear to support weight I'll hit my Steel Challenge Rimfire Rifle hard for a good long while--sub-80 seconds, here I come!!!--but I don't want to lose any more momentum than possible with regard to my firearm training during this month and a half of purgatory.  

Any suggestions from the masses for my next 6 weeks?

Edited by jkrispies

1 plate + 8 screws = can't lift anything for at least 6 weeks.  Stupid dumb ulna.   

Physically speaking, beyond therapy of course, I'm definitely going to concentrate on losing weight first and foremost.  20 pounds needs to go, period.

Regarding the gun, It's on my support hand side, so I guess I can practice one-handed stuff, but that's going to get old quick.  Eye focus drills.  A little footwork, but I think that will be pointless if I can't combo it with a proper sight picture and form as I leave and enter the box.  I should point out that I'm shooting Steel Challenge pretty exclusively these days, but I want to keep up on all my skills.  Once I'm clear to support weight I'll hit my Steel Challenge Rimfire Rifle hard for a good long while--sub-80 seconds, here I come!!!--but I don't want to lose any more momentum than possible with regard to my firearm training during this month and a half of purgatory.  

Any suggestions from the masses for my next 6 weeks?

Right after I had my right shoulder reconstruction I competed in action pistol events using a borrowed left handed holster and carried my mags in my right hand in the sling. It was excellent practice and I succeeded in not coming in last.

When I had my left shoulder rebuilt a couple years later I shot one-handed and it dramatically improved my pistol skills. I even shot a rimfire tactical 2-gun match and managed to win shooting pistol and rifle with one arm. Thankfully my rifle was very light!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I broke (well shattered) my thumb on my shooting hand. I shot weak (left) handed for 5 weeks. Got fairly good! My advice is to take it easy and get off the meds first, then start practicing one handed. Not sure what you do now for exercise but start walking, if you already walk start jogging and you guessed it....if you already jog start running. Any kind of foot drill or movement will help, you have to keep moving. It took 6 months for the swelling to go down in my thumb, it will be quicker for you, apparently small body parts get really annoying when you break them. Go here if you want to read all about it. Otherwise take it easy and listen to your body.

Broke my strong side elbow in Spring '16.  Shooting is my only vice so I continued with dryfire and livefire practice but weakhand only.  Hard to get much exercise other than walking with that darn cast but every little bit helps.   

The only recommendation I have is listen to your doctor and don't push it past your comfort level.  I did that on an earlier surgery and all it did was cause me unnecessary pain and prolong the healing period.    Six weeks sounds like a long time to lay off shooting especially at the start of the shooting season, but it will end.

Good luck with the recovery and the weight loss.

I would not underestimate the value of one handed shooting for six weeks.

If keeps you in the game, and you will find going to two handed shooting

much better and easier after all that one handed shooting    :) 

A very light .22 might help speed up the time when you can get back

to using the weak hand again.

AND, losing weight ALWAYS helps    :cheers:

Can you use your arm at all?

We have a shooter at our club who has two arms, but only his left hand.  He shoots open and PCC.  His support arm just rests on the gun. He's a decent shooter.

5 hours ago, stick said:

Can you use your arm at all?

Unfortunately, I can't... or shouldn't at least, per the doctor's orders.  I haven't been able to chat him up too much since I've only seen him in from gurney level, but from the look of his physique, I think I was fortunate to get an orthopedist who is an athlete as well, so I'm trusting him more than others in this regard.  It was a compound fracture that broke through the skin, and the x-ray showed a bunch of "foreign matter debris" they had to clean out from inside me (ie, dirt and rocks that shoved through the hole) on top of the break, so when they cut me open it was more than just screwing the bone together.  I was riding my mountain bike and the front wheel locked up due to a brake malfunction-- I tried to do a ninja roll over the handle bars but at 45yo I'm not quite as catlike as I used to be, lol.  The doctor's orders right now is no weight on it for 6-8 weeks, but maybe I'll heal quicker than that.  The physical therapists who checked me out at the hospital were impressed at my range of motion--I can straighten and curl it almost completely, really limited by the bandage wrap more than anything--but I can't twist my wrist much at all.  I can almost close my hand but the grip strength is reduced.  I'm hoping that will come back quickly.  As luck would have it, before this happened I was buying parts to rebuild my 10/22 into a more lightweight platform, thank goodness.  That will help get me back in the game quicker.  

Edited by jkrispies

Take it easy and follow doctors orders.  Ever since I hit 50 this year, I don't heal like I used to and everything hurts.  Steel challenge will still be there when you're able to shoot.  No sense in rushing it and possibly doing damage that will cause more issues later on.

Wait 'till you get to 60...last couple of times I had surgeries I switched to .22 and as I started to heal bunny fart loads in 9 & 38 all shooting WHO.  Also, lots of dryfire WHO with some laser ammo.

jkrispies, I am very sorry to hear about your situation. I hope you recover fast and fully.

I say this as an individual that has 2 plates, 14 screws and 3 pins in my left lower leg (tib/fib). 

I think really the only thing you can do is weak hand exercises. If only 6 weeks before you can start to  use your hands that isn't too bad,  I was 15 weeks from break to cast removal and then prolly 3 more months with fracture boots, then splints. Took many months for the muscles to regain size and strength. I understand your desire to not let your skills decline. Just don't take any unnecessary risks.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd give a little update, two-ish weeks out.  It turns out that when I had the accident, I probably messed up my back worse than my arm.  At this moment, I'm typing with absolutely no issues using both hands, having full (I think) mobility in my right arm despite some residual pain and bruising, albeit I have to be very careful not to lift or inadvertently lean on it as I'm still on a "nothing heavier than a dinner plate" order from the doctor.  Overall, though, I'm pretty happy with the arm.  My herniated disc on the other hand... I finally got an epidural today, which is awarding me immensely less pain, but still the occassional reminder that I'm still dealing with an injury.  I'm a little afraid to step on the scale, but I know I'm losing weight.

I haven't done anything to build my skills the past couple of weeks because I know me, and I know I'll push the speed and make something pop in a bad way, so I'm holding off a bit longer.  That, and I've been keeping the pharmaceutical industry afloat, but that should be behind me now that I've got the epidural assisting with the back pain.  I have been spending the time upgrading my equipment and doing some precision rifle reloading.  I think my "training" may start with a little range time behind the .308win.  It's easy on the body, but it'll give me some time working on trigger feel and seeing the crosshairs.  At least that's what I'm telling myself, LOL.  

I hope to get back into the regular training regimen next week.

1911luvr and all, I wish I could join you at the state championships over the next few days.  Know that I'll be there in spirit!

J

Argh.  My plan was to start legit training today, but...  

Last night I let my guard down for a moment and accidentally put my full weight on the broken arm while crawling into bed.  I crunched.  As in, I literally heard my body CRUNCH, while feeling pain and movement in the wound.  I've gone through these types of injuries before (my left elbow has the same amount of hardware in it) so I figure it was just some scar tissue breaking--which isn't a bad thing--but it was a big reminder that I'm far from healed.  I was hurting for the rest of the night and into the morning so I iced it a bunch, and I'm already halfway through my daily Advil allotment at 10am, but bruising isn't any worse and I can move it just fine.  I haven't taken an Vicodin since the epidural and don't want to start that up again, but I've got a little in my pocket in case the Advil dries up.  Morale of the story I'm thinking I should hold off a smidge longer before getting back into dryfire...  

7 hours ago, jkrispies said:

Argh.  My plan was to start legit training today, but...  

Last night I let my guard down for a moment and accidentally put my full weight on the broken arm while crawling into bed.  I crunched.  As in, I literally heard my body CRUNCH, while feeling pain and movement in the wound.  I've gone through these types of injuries before (my left elbow has the same amount of hardware in it) so I figure it was just some scar tissue breaking--which isn't a bad thing--but it was a big reminder that I'm far from healed.  I was hurting for the rest of the night and into the morning so I iced it a bunch, and I'm already halfway through my daily Advil allotment at 10am, but bruising isn't any worse and I can move it just fine.  I haven't taken an Vicodin since the epidural and don't want to start that up again, but I've got a little in my pocket in case the Advil dries up.  Morale of the story I'm thinking I should hold off a smidge longer before getting back into dryfire...  

Hopefully you're OK!  Again, SCSA will be here when you are healed.  DON'T Rush it

Thanks for checking in!  I'm planning to do some light practice this week.  The strength still isn't there, but it's improving enough that I'm fairly sure I can handle a rimfire rifle as long as I'm careful.  I couldn't get to it today, but I think tomorrow is looking good.  I plan to take it very easy.  

The back is still the real issue, but that may be improving slightly too.  I'm seeing the back doctor on Thursday, and hopefully will get an MRI done then too.  That's going to be the real test.  If I can dodge this bullet without a back surgery, I'm calling it a win.

Crap.  Morning practice isn’t happening today.  Some days the back pain is worse than others and today is a doozy.  Just trying not to move while I wait for the pain killers to kick in so I can make it to work.  Will try again tomorrow. 

EDIT TO ADD:  I just looked out the window when it’s cloudy outside and sprinkling.  It’s the friggin’ weather.

Edited by jkrispies

Big day today!  I’d planned to dryfire starting last Monday but some unusual rain clouds hovered over my area of the Mojave all week making me absolutely miserable when I rolled out of bed every morning... and then my incision got infected as well.  I tried some dry fire on Tuesday but it just wasn’t happening.  

Today the antibiotics kicked in, and the rain clouds dried up. I only did about 15 minutes of dryfire with my RFRO using a Pendulum banner, but I was making the same PCCO par that I’d programmed before the injury.   I’m calling that a big victory.  

Edited by jkrispies

• 2 weeks later...

Sitting in waiting room for MRI and thought it might be a good time to post an update.  The arm is doing well.  I actually thought it would be good to do some sort of a data driven test to gauge improvement over time so I did a words per minute typing test and then planned to retest in a month.  First try I did 85 wpm with one error, and then later followed up with a 79 wpm with no errors so.... I think I’ll just check that test off as good!!!

The back is a different story.  It just keeps getting worse and worse. I saw a doctor of physical therapy yesterday and he tested me out.  He suspects that I actually damaged my hip in the accident and that’s where a lot of my pain is coming from, but I haven’t been properly diagnosed in that area yet.  He suspects that I may have dislocated my hip in the accident and when it popped back in it may not have set right, or there may be a slight fracture that’s lingering along.  I’m now working on getting approval for an Xray of that area to see if there’s any validity to his theory.  I can say that when I woke up this morning after the physical therapy session I was in so much pain I ended up coming home after only an hour of work today.   It wasn’t a muscle pain either, but more like either my herniated disc was agitated or he was yanking on a damaged bone or joint that didn’t like being yanked on.   Sigh.  More tests.  More doctors.  

On the plus side, I am dry firing with my very lightweight rimfire rifle, if for only 15 minutes at a pop vs my usual 30 or more.  It’s not the most phenomenal dry fire, but it’s something.  

Edited by jkrispies

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, quliming said:

Perfect time for weak hand training. You will be glad you practiced.

Thanks for the reminder to update.  I’m one month out from back surgery and feel like a whole new man.  The arm is great. Because the surger Site is still healing, I can only safely handle the weight of rimfires but I feel good enough that I registered for the Area 2 Steel Championships last night.  I’m committed to logging personal records before the end of the year, and you can take that one to the bank!