Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lack Of Customer Service

Alan Meek

I have a piece of equipment that needs to be repaired. So I contact the Manufacturer, as they are located local to my job, requesting price and if I can drop item off. I recieve their response and the price is reasonable, nodbody else can do the repair, but I can not drop off the item. They state, "We unfortunately are not regulated to be open to the public, so you will need to mail in your repair." :o WTF, They are located in an Industrial Park, So my wife calls the County and the county informs her that there are no regulations restricting being open to the public.

So I will now remove their product from all of my equipment and obtain a different product. I would rather not use technology before I ever use their product again.

Alan :angry::angry::angry:

I'd wager that the company will not even disclose their non-PO box address to you if you were to ask. Some of it could be security of information - if it's a privately held firm, customers could get a surprising amount of proprietary data just be stopping by (ie, get a guess as to the square footage of the operation, how busy the operation looks, number of people working there, etc.). And then there's the influx of customers who will stop by to buy something, ask for a tour or on the spot repair, etc.

I've bought and built a metric crapload of industrial equipment in my time, and have never heard of such a stupid, xenophobic policy. Sounds like their "secrets" aren't industrial - more like they don't want you to figure out they're really a cockroach cololny.

I'd dump 'em in a cold second too.

It's somewhat common for smallish industrial buisnesses to strongly discourage walk-ins, cause it can throw their systems out of whack (been there, done that) but they don't usually completely forbid it, barring hazardous chemicals and such.

It's a hate thread..... I can't make the comment I normally would...

The vendor in question likely has injection moulding equipment, some electronics fab, a couple of different adhesives in play. That's about it. Alan has about three other vendors of similar technology to choose from to supply equipment that performs the same purpose.

Why Alan wouldn't mention this vendor by name is beyond me, but... his choice....

The vendor in question likely has injection moulding equipment, some electronics fab, a couple of different adhesives in play. That's about it. Alan has about three other vendors of similar technology to choose from to supply equipment that performs the same purpose.

Why Alan wouldn't mention this vendor by name is beyond me, but... his choice....

I hate threads like this also because I want to know what company it is to avoid them.

I hate threads like this also because I want to know what company it is to avoid them.

It's not that hard to figure out.. google is your friend and there are plenty of clues.. Since industry hate is a no-no, please don't post it once you figure it out.

I hate companies that make me drive 8 miles to the UPS center and PAY to ship their product back for repair when their facility is only 5 miles from my house.

And don't get me started on diode's that are considered "Wear" parts and are only warrantied for 30 days. :angry:

Erik

FWIW, when you insure your business "walk in trade" is a rider you need to buy, at least in PA.

When I did away with my retail store there was considerable savings to my insurance because I did not need to be covered for having non employees on the premises. If an employee gets injured on the premises that is a workers comp issue. If a vistor gets hurt, it's your property insurance that covers it.

Could be that.

Ted

I just received a replacement technology part from a vendor in that area. I was really happy with my old part, but on the new part the workmanship was crude and the bottom is not close to flat where it mounts on a flat base. The legs were cut off and on one side they were cut more or less flush and on the other side there is a ridge where the legs were cut off. I called and tech support said that is the way it is supposed to be and that the flexing of the body when I tighten it down is normal.

Oh, well I'll give it a try, but next time I need a similar product, I will definitely look at other manufacturers.