Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2018 sti dvc open slide racker

WAlamo

Hi guys! So after waiting for 8 months and after 1000 rounds my new gun slide racker broke.  No the gun wasn't dropped neither it broke while racking it.  During the middle of today;s match it got loose and I tighten it up again.  This design is the only thing I found to be sloppy when I got the gun.  After the match I decided to stay a little longer and practice a bit.  I was shooting then I noticed it wasn't there anymore.  Searched the ground found it and noticed it was broken at the base of the screw.  I was lucky I could used some WD40 on the screw still attached to the slide, left it for 1 hour then used a torch to heat it good.  After that it rotated and was easy to be removed. 

I plan on requesting replacement under warranty, however I like to buy an extra one and if possible better quality.  I can't find this part in Dawson or SpeedShooter.  Anyone has other good source for STI parts?

IMG_2946-2.jpg

Others may chime in. But you probably will need to get a Sti through Sti! The dovetail may be cut to accept other brands. However I'm not familiar with the dovetail cut of the Sti!

Edited by Stymie12000

38 minutes ago, TeedOff said:

A guy I shot with today has broken two of these new design slide rackers. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Damn it!

Someone got to come up with a hardened steel design

I only had my oem racker on for a little while when I first got my DVC because my thumb would occasionally catch it. I bought a sidewinder and had to do some fitting with a dremel and drill 2 little holes for the ball detent but so far so good. I’m not sure if that helps much but it’s another option for you.

It's hard to tell from the photo but it appears that yours is the "new" stainless steel version with integral threaded stud.  STI has an improved "new-new" version with an aluminum handle that uses an allen socket head steel machine screw, which my DVC Steel came with.  I think/hope this is a much better design.  I'm sure STI will replace yours with the "new-new" version under warranty.  Please let us know if you are able to buy a spare.   I might want to order one too!

3 hours ago, Cosmo71 said:

It's hard to tell from the photo but it appears that yours is the "new" stainless steel version with integral threaded stud.  STI has an improved "new-new" version with an aluminum handle that uses an allen socket head steel machine screw, which my DVC Steel came with.  I think/hope this is a much better design.  I'm sure STI will replace yours with the "new-new" version under warranty.  Please let us know if you are able to buy a spare.   I might want to order one too!

Yes is the  “new” not the “new new”. I wasn’t aware there is a “new new” design. I let you know the outcome, thank you for the info

Here's the requested photo.  This is the slide racker that came on my DVC Steel, bought 5/25.  A friend had the same failure you did on his DVC Open and was sent the same "new-new" racker as replacement. 

compressed.jpg

2 hours ago, Cosmo71 said:

Here's the requested photo.  This is the slide racker that came on my DVC Steel, bought 5/25.  A friend had the same failure you did on his DVC Open and was sent the same "new-new" racker as replacement. 

compressed.jpg

Nice thank you, I sent warranty request email to STI and told them about the "new new" racker.  I don't really understand how this one is mounted to the slide.  Do you install the black screw and then the racker on top of it?  Sorry but I just can't see how it mounts,on the right side of the slide there is just another hole in case you like the racker on the right side.  So that means the screw is not a locking device to prevent the racker from rotating and getting loose.

By the looks of it, but I may be wrong, the socket cap screw goes into the slide racker and then screws into the hole in the slide. Doing it this way captures the slide racker and affixes it to the frame so that it doesn't rotate.   A much better solution than the old-new slide racker that has the integral stud.

Edited by Hooked

4 minutes ago, Hooked said:

By the looks of it, but I may be wrong, the socket cap screw goes into the slide racker and then screws into the hole in the slide. Doing it this way captures the slide racker and affixes it to the frame so that it doesn't rotate.   A much better solution than the old-new slide racker that has the integral stud.

Thank you!

Yes, FWIW, Hooked is right: the allen socket machine screw goes inside the slide racker and then screws into the slide.  This screw is probably 2-3 times stronger than the previous stainless steel threaded slide racker design.

• 2 months later...
On 5/29/2018 at 2:02 PM, WAlamo said:

Nice thank you, I sent warranty request email to STI and told them about the "new new" racker.  I don't really understand how this one is mounted to the slide.  Do you install the black screw and then the racker on top of it?  Sorry but I just can't see how it mounts,on the right side of the slide there is just another hole in case you like the racker on the right side.  So that means the screw is not a locking device to prevent the racker from rotating and getting loose.

Does your New-New racker hit the optic mount preventing quick and easy slide removal?  If so, how are you dealing with that??

• 5 months later...
8 hours ago, Bigbrowngmc said:

Do you think this is a sign of them going back to a dovetail style?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cant say 100% but that's the impression I got talking to the guy on the phone. The website says new photos coming so I expect we will know for sure soon.