Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ SP-01 upgrades myself or buy CZC gun?

Tattoo

Hey all,

i am am looking into dipping into the CZ waters and I am wondering how to proceed.  I like to understand how my pistols work. I can buy an SP-01 for like $559 or a CZC Gun is $995.  Can I upgrade it myself for less by buying the stock gun and getting  CZC or CGW parts??  I have always worked on my own Glocks and I can take my 2011 apart and put it back together.  Is the CZ hard to work on?  Thanks

T

CZs are definitely more complex than a Glock (no contest) but if you can detail trip a 2011, then you can certainly learn to detail strip and work on a CZ. There are a variety of excellent youtube videos and guides posted here on Enos.

The CGW Pro Grade kit costs $269 at retail, or about $450 (IIRC) if you pay them to install it, so yeah, you'll save about $250 doing the installation of the parts yourself.  Most first time CZ owners report taking 4-8 hours to install the kit themselves for their first foray into working on CZs. If you plan on doing the work, order some extra sprinngs preemptively, and consider getting a safety model instead of the decocker. Decockers are way more complex with the sear cage.

Hey all,  

i am am looking into dipping into the CZ waters and I am wondering how to proceed.  I like to understand how my pistols work. I can buy an SP-01 for like $559 or a CZC Gun is $995.  Can I upgrade it myself for less by buying the stock gun and getting  CZC or CGW parts??  I have always worked on my own Glocks and I can take my 2011 apart and put it back together.  Is the CZ hard to work on?  Thanks

T

Have you test fired the SP01 yet? The first time I did, I was disappointed. Then I shot a Cajunized one and it’s completely different trigger feel. I just bought a stock SP01 Shadow which has decent sights and good trigger. The trigger is actually much better than I expected and I’m glad I went with the Shadow. My total cost will be about $1200 after Cajunizing the Shadow with 10x bushing and all, and some grips though. I would say if you go stock SP01 then have the funds available for upgrading it yourself, and it will be rewarding, cost effective, and fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with Merc. I recently did a trigger job on a stock Shadow using just the guide by Atlas and maybe a youtube video and had no issues getting it done in an afternoon. The longest part was messing with the hammer pins because I was going to use the existing strut but even that was easy after I figured out to use my crappy little vice to press them in. CGW is always available to answer any questions you have as well.

I say go for it. I'm still kicking myself for holding off so long.

20180429_125105.jpg

Buy the gun and the CGW upgrades you want to install and do the work yourself. There’s enough tutorial on the internet to guide you through the process. I install the upgrades and polished the trigger system on my shadow 2 using kneeling atlas’ tutorial guide and I’m very happy with the out come. It was my first time tearing apart a CZ pistol and everything went well. 

Just go go slow and take a breather when you’re getting frustrated. Put the slide inside a big ziploc bag when you’re removing the safety and sear cage to prevent losing any of the small springs and detents. Post and questions if you’re having a hard time with anything.

Youll enjoy joy the self self gratification and self satisfaction you’ll get after doing the work. Good luck.

2 hours ago, Tattoo said:

Hey all,

T

Do it yourself for the satisfaction and greater attention to detail, not to save money.

I bought an SP01 for about that price and have about $450 in Cajun upgrades I did myself. So price wise to me it's a wash for that gun.

I really know the gun now though and learned a lot through the process.

Im happy with my SP01 and would probably pick it again over the shadow value for money wise. But If I did the math again for the whole project tho I'd be the owner of a shadow 2. 

Edited by DesertTortoise

11 minutes ago, DesertTortoise said:

Im happy with my SP01 and would probably pick it again over the shadow value for money wise. But If I did the math again for the whole project tho I'd be the owner of a shadow 2. 

I ended up doing hammer & disco & springs (and would have changed the sear if I kept it) to get happy on the S2, already had a rear sight pusher, do not know if that effects your math or if you would even be that fussy. At the end of the day I think it is whatever fits your hand the best is the best. 

13 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

I ended up doing hammer & disco & springs (and would have changed the sear if I kept it) to get happy on the S2, already had a rear sight pusher, do not know if that effects your math or if you would even be that fussy. At the end of the day I think it is whatever fits your hand the best is the best. 

I feel better then

Thanks for the advise!  I did go down to my LGS and played with the SP-01 and a Shadow2.  I think the trigger in the SP-01 was to use another persons words here...”disappointing”.   Horrible DA pull.  I think the Shadow2 was better but it’s realllly heavy.  I did like the grip though. Not sure about weight and transitions with it.   I like the idea of doing it myself and understanding the gun better.  Sounds like money will be a wash but cheaper up front if I go SP-01.  And gotcha do not get a decocker.

T

1 hour ago, Tattoo said:

Thanks for the advise!  I did go down to my LGS and played with the SP-01 and a Shadow2.  I think the trigger in the SP-01 was to use another persons words here...”disappointing”.   Horrible DA pull.  I think the Shadow2 was better but it’s realllly heavy.  I did like the grip though. Not sure about weight and transitions with it.   I like the idea of doing it myself and understanding the gun better.  Sounds like money will be a wash but cheaper up front if I go SP-01.  And gotcha do not get a decocker.

T

Following the guide from kneeling atlas I got to a really smooth and reliable 5.5 lb double / 2.5 single action trigger. The SP01 is like cheating. The only things you’ll never fix with the SP01 vs shadow 1 is a very minor amount of creep caused by the firing pin safety, and a more convienant firing pin retaining system. 

I sold the SP01 night sights on eBay for around $80 so that mostly pays for a sight upgrade. 

The SP01 is good for what it is. The shadow is better to me. Stock ones are a measly $880.
Grips and springs are the only things I'd change. Probably just springs though.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I have a SP-01 that I got in a trade, added all the CGW parts and learned a ton.  It's a satisfying experience to be able to repair your own pistol.  I ended up getting an AccuShadow later (darn CZ bug) which was worked over by the CZ Custom Shop.  I will say the trigger from the custom shop Accu was better than what I was able to get on the SP-01 I worked on personally, but they are both good.  Kneelingatlas's tutorial is a great reference.  I would say order the parts and dive in.  

4 hours ago, 38superfan said:

The SP01 is good for what it is. The shadow is better to me. Stock ones are a measly $880.
Grips and springs are the only things I'd change. Probably just springs though.

How is the Shadow different from the SP-01?  You are not talking about the Shadow 2 right?  

And why not just bump up to the Shadow2 then?

thanks

T

How is the Shadow different from the SP-01?  You are not talking about the Shadow 2 right?  

And why not just bump up to the Shadow2 then?

thanks

T
I am speaking about the spo1 shadow. It comes with no fpb, and comp guts, comp sights. Lighter springs and polishing are all that's really needed.

I have a worked over sp01 and an S2. The S2 feels better but is a good bit heavier.

2 minutes ago, 38superfan said:

I am speaking about the spo1 shadow. It comes with no fpb, and comp guts, comp sights. Lighter springs and polishing are all that's really needed.

I have a worked over sp01 and an S2. The S2 feels better but is a good bit heavier.

Ok I gotcha.  We do not have an SP-01 Shadow locally.  Only the normal SP-01 and Shadow2....  lots of models.....

Absolutely. Springs and polishing help a bunch.
Don't feel it's a requirement to have a shadow though. Known several folks who did just fine with a stock SP01. Never met anyone who was being held back with one either.

Can I ease my way into modifications and make a noticeable difference?  Does just changing springs to start help significantly??  

T

I bet you would end up with a sweet shooter to start with if you just do the polishing and springs following the Professor Atlas guide, and it wouldn’t cost much at all. Should eliminate the gritty heavy pull and soften up the SA. You will still have the longer reset and SA creep, but I don’t think those are major hinderances. Probably should do the sights right away too

10 minutes ago, 38superfan said:

Don't feel it's a requirement to have a shadow though. Known several folks who did just fine with a stock SP01. Never met anyone who was being held back with one either.

To tell a secret... All Tanfo's have FPB's... doesn't seem to hinder those guns at all.

To tell a secret... All Tanfo's have FPB's... doesn't seem to hinder those guns at all.

There’s a good reason for that though, because they are different mechanisms in the way they operate. In fact a great deal of pistols have FPB’s that do not affect trigger pull at all

1 minute ago, Mercs said:

There’s a good reason for that though, because they are different mechanisms in the way they operate

The firing pin blocks are mechanically different?

Just now, SCTaylor said:

The firing pin blocks are mechanically different?

CZ's oppose the trigger, Tanfos assist the trigger. You can get a fantastic trigger with a FPB CZ, we are splitting hairs.