Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Draw Test Resurrected.

dirtypool40

I figure to use this as a journal as I get back up to speed. Now that Sixxx is gone maybe we can talk about this again.

Ten yards, open targets. Hands relaxed at sides.

Ten one shot draws. Record the total time, score the target.

Post average draw time & Hf.

When I quit I was averaging roughly .95 and 8A / 2C.

My goal is to get down to .90 average for an A. :wacko:

open unclassified.

7alpha 3 Charlie

time 8.94

Hf is 5.25XXX

that was no means a cold run...twas towards then end of a very good practice session.

cold would probably have one more charlie and be around 10 seconds.

I think i can shoot this faster with my limited gun though

• 2 months later...

I ran one of these yesterday while doing some drill work. L-10, Unclassified (but will be in A class regardless). HF of 3.4483 - avg 1.13 sec, w/ a C hit average. I intended for this to be a benchmark, so I didn't go back and shoot it again later.... Should be interesting to see how I can improve from there :)

That's smokin', Dave :) 5.543 HF.

BTW - mine was skinny gun, too. Total time was 11.31. In the words of George Carlin, I shot the drill like old people ****... slow and sloppy.... :D

I shot this one about a month ago using a thumb break holster, snapped, and a glock 22 with major power factor ammo.

Production C

7 A's 3 C's

Total Time= 13.65

Avg. Time= 1.37

HF= 3.00

• 8 months later...

Just ran this for S&G last week. First time in a looooong time.

My draw "felt" slow for a week or so, so I wanted an objective test.

I dropped four Charlies, and kept pushing things up and left, but that being said I did get some good "first moves" and broke .80 three times. This is from a kydex DOH in "standard" position, hands relaxed.

Including a 2nd shot of .99 the total time was 8.38 or .84 average draw, 6A, 4C for a 5.48hf. I think that's the best I have ever done on this drill. I felt sloppy, but what the hell. Score didn't feel like it would have held up if I were going across an array or even double tapping, but I won't look a gift horse in the mouth and will just be happy. for now.

Time to clean it up and shoot it down zero with a nice circular group center A. ;)

So <_< I have ben at parts of this game for over 10 years = I am nearing 50.

my question is I (feal) slower but my times are on the average getting faster.

Do you think I am just getting better at observing? = my body feals like it is stuck in the mud some times and that I am waiting on the gun to fire.

In practice on this drill I can average just under 1. , in a match the first shot is 1.2

So <_< I have ben at parts of this game for over 10 years = I am nearing 50.

my question is I (feal) slower but my times are on the average getting faster.

Do you think I am just getting better at observing? = my body feals like it is stuck in the mud some times and that I am waiting on the gun to fire.

In practice on this drill I can average just under 1. , in a match the first shot is 1.2

I shoot the same speed as when I was in B-class. To me the sights look and move about the same as they did back then. Actually maybe even slower and more accurately.

It looks a lot faster from the viewpoint of the rest of the world.

Score didn't feel like it would have held up if I were going across an array or even double tapping, ....

Time to clean it up and shoot it down zero with a nice circular group center A. ;)

I ran this yesterday, first drill of the day. I had a 4.286 HF, B- class Open.

I've never been real quick with my draw, of the 10 shots for this drill the fastest was at 1.0.

I shot some bill drills afterwards on the same target, and to fire multiple shots my draws slowed to 1.2, even 1.3. Apparently I'm shooting the single shot drill more off an index than my dot.

Alway something new to work on. Ain't it great!

Yup, new goal of .85 average for an A, 1.0 for two A's. That would be 5.88hf for the original draw test and a 10 factor for the draw and 2 Alphas.

Once I can do that from Kydex.....well, I'm sure there will be something else that needs work. :rolleyes:

Running this at 7y, w/ one A, the only time I've done this I had a 4.64 HF w/ an average draw of 1.01. The "Two Fer" test (two shots), running a 7.48 with a trigger freeze on one of the five strings I ran (1.48 overall time for that one).

So, I'm a little slow on these drills right now.

• 3 weeks later...

In 1996, 1.05 average. All A's whether on a paper target or a 8" plate. ( I was practicing up for the World Shoot-off's in Colorado)

Springfield P9, 9x21 with an Aimpoint.

CR Speed

A Class

In 2006, 1.10 average. All A's 15yd to 20 yd on paper.

STI 2011, 38SC with a C-More

Limcat

Master Class

I'm not the fastest on the first shot, I make up my time elsewhere (target to target acquition). I can pull sub one second, but my focus is the entire target, not just the A-zone.

Kenny

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Because I don't want you bottom feeders to have all the fun on this one I incorrectly tried it yesterday for practice. I will try again later at the prescribed 10 yards.

I shot it at 15 yards instead of 10.

B class / Revolver / 625 .45 ACP in a Safariland 002

8 A / 2 C

Total time = 14.66 High = 1.73 Low = 1.33

Avg. time 1.466

HF = 3.2742

• 2 weeks later...

08Jan07

Production class, unclassified

Glock 34

28 degrees F (Wisconsin in Jan)

Shot completely cold (literally and shooting wise)

1.28 - A

1.33 - A

1.27 - A

1.50 - A

1.26 - A

1.19 - A

1.12 - C

1.15 - A

1.12 - C

1.27 - A

Total Time - 12.49sec

Average - 1.249sec

8A/2C

Irate

• 1 month later...

Looks like everyone has been doing the same sort of things!

I shot at 15 yards (as I recalled an excellent comment on this forum about how 15 was a "critical point"!! :D )

I'm an ungraded newbie shooting a Glock 17A (Production) from a kydex holster.

1.73 = A

1.67 = A

1.60 = A

1.69 = A

Then draw and TWO shots.

2.13 = 2A

2.17 = 2A

1.91 = 2A I like that one so I checked the first shot.. it was 1.50 :D

Lesson? Well.. I obviously have a long way to go.. BUT I was pleased with all A's - as I WAS trying for speed... and would have been satisifed even with more than a few Charlies.

At THIS point in my IPSC shooting I found that session to be a "morale boost"... (I shot a bunch of stages and some speed drills as well - with good results.. a GOOD day in fact!)

I plan to be back out there next Saturday to continue the practice!!!! :D:D

Damn.... this is a fun sport! :lol: Wish I'd got into it years ago!

P.S. One of the speed drills was a 4 target "Box A - move & mag change - Box B" type of thing.. if that makes any sense?? Targets at 10 yards.

Shot 14A / 2C in 8.93.... (So thats a HF of... 8.51? Sounds High (for me!!!!) but it is a fast sequence I suppose)

What would a good, experienced shooter be looking at for that drill?

Whoops... for those who said "HUH?" A 17A is simply an otherwise normal 17 with a 121mm barrel to satisfy Aussie law!

• 5 months later...

Hit this yesterday with Hardball.

49 points in 10.30 seconds for a lethargic 4.76 hf.

I used to break 5.0 hf consistently, or 1.0 for an Alpha. I guess that's my wake up call to start dry firing again. I've let it slip and it shows....

• 7 months later...
Just ran this for S&G last week. First time in a looooong time.

My draw "felt" slow for a week or so, so I wanted an objective test.

I dropped four Charlies, and kept pushing things up and left, but that being said I did get some good "first moves" and broke .80 three times. This is from a kydex DOH in "standard" position, hands relaxed.

Including a 2nd shot of .99 the total time was 8.38 or .84 average draw, 6A, 4C for a 5.48hf. I think that's the best I have ever done on this drill. I felt sloppy, but what the hell. Score didn't feel like it would have held up if I were going across an array or even double tapping, but I won't look a gift horse in the mouth and will just be happy. for now.

Hit this today after doing some movement drills.

8.90 total time dropped two C's. 5.39hf. :cheers: Slow of .96, fast of .81. Last six draws were .89 or better, and in contrast to the post above, I felt very in control, and was printing a pretty respectable pattern of A's at around .85.

I'm not one to spend all day dry firing for an extra .05 sec (at least not right now) but I might see if I can tighten up the first few and hit that .85 / A average I set as a goal.

Edited by dirtypool40

I just had another thread going about breaking the 1 sec mark with an A which I just recently acomplished.

Link

I happend to do this drill the other day with a hit

factor of 4.52 LIMITED Edge from DOH. Low 0.94 high 1.19 8 A's 2 C's

This was my inspiration to break the 1 sec. mark !!

Edited by DIRTY CHAMBER