Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Killer Range In Bolivia

dirtypool40

Wow, somebody certainly went to a lot of trouble altogether!  Impressive! B)

Repeating what Sig Lady said: WOW!  B)

I'll add another wow that... :)

For some reason I really like the idea of the different colored tarps (that's what they look like to me) that were used to make the walls. Seems like an inexpensive way to build props that look good and can be repaired/replaced easily (instead of plywood or drywall).

Holy Moses! That's one cool range! I hope I have the privilege of shooting there some day! :)

I was very glad to see Hijitus, a national cartoon character (he's the flying blue, big headed dude near the center of the 3rd pic) there among Captain America, Wolverine, an anime character of the G-Force era (I don't identify who it is however), etc.

GREAT art work. :D

The green walls between bays are actually thick cement with steel uprights. The wall sections in teh bays or normally sheet metal on wood frames ad painted.

That being said because of the really low number of shooters at the match, we were never within two bays of any other shooters.

Really first rate all the way around. Our range in SC is pretty pitiful by comparison. :( We have fun, but it's pretty backwater, and our props are "McGuyvered".

The green walls between bays are actually thick cement with steel uprights.  The wall sections in teh bays or normally sheet metal on wood frames ad painted.

That being said because of the really low number of shooters at the match, we were never within two bays of any other shooters.

Really first rate all the way around.  Our range in SC is pretty pitiful by comparison. :( We have fun, but it's pretty backwater, and our props are "McGuyvered".

Cement nice, looks good. Low number of shooters, ahh that's what was missing...

There are another half dozen off to the right of the photgraphed areas.

They had 18 stages set up, I think there were another few bays open, and not in use. I can count 13 in the pics.

Safety concerns aside they could have easily hosted a 300 shooter area match or bigger.

Safety concerns are not aside :-/

I see very little cement in evidence (one lowly section, in one photo) and a whole lot of sheet metal (kleenex to a bullet). Even with a squad every two bays (bays defined by the kleenex walls here), I wouldn't wanna be downrange anywhere at that range while others are shooting on nearby stages.

--

Regards,

It appears they use old tires behind the targets?  What is the consensus on safety on this, ie., using tires as a "backstop"?  I have heard pro and con.

IME A pile of old tires is better than nothing, but not a whole lot better. Bullets can bounce and ricochet off them on edge hits. They do work well to keep holes from being pecked in whatever wall is right behind the target. Filled full of sand they work much better.

• 1 month later...

there is a range in texas where the berms are made up of big earth mover tires. a 9mm or 38 super will go in and shoot back out...in God knows what direction.

a 40 or 45 will just bounce off..in almost the same direction it came from :blink: