Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thanks, Wolf Performance Ammunition!

Tokarev

I really don't want to start another "Wolf will break your gun" thread so please do not add those comments to this post!

I have been using Wolf 9mm and .45 ammo in most of the local IPDA matches I shoot in here in the Phoenix area. I recently contacted them and we talked about my shooting and my use of their ammo. Well, to make a long story short, Wolf has graciously agreed to send me 1,000 rounds of 9mm and 1,000 rounds of .45 to shoot. I'm officially Wolf's first IDPA sponsored shooter! All they want in return are a few pictures of me shooting and some feedback on their handgun ammo line. Plus they'd like me to wear a Wolf T-shirt and baseball cap. No problem!

I give my thanks to Wolf for their support of the shooting sports. I'm proud to be a supporter of their products!

Heh, tell them they need to up the power factor of their .223 ammo. out of my 16" AR the 62gr ammo only makes 161.5 PF. Thats to close for comfort.

However its cool thatr they are interested in sponsoring shooters.

Tok ,

That is so cool ! Congratulations!!

I'll check my pic file at home to see if there are any of you in there .

Does Wolf want your pics published online anywhere?

M

edit to add:

sorry dude - no action shots , will take care of that next match..

Edited by Mark Perez

Congrats! I shoot the hell out of Wolf .223. I've had one issue with a case of .223 and they sent me a new case for free.

Good company!

They do need to power up their .223 though :D

New Sponser = VERY COOL!

I haven't had problems with wolf's reliability in .45 or 9mm, but I haven't shot that much. Lately it's priced about the same as the WWB here so I only get it if I happen to be at the gunshow.

My experience with my AR is opposite as stingerjg's. My 100 groups (which aren't tiny as I've got no "rifle skilz") are about double my WWB, consistently. This is both 55 and 62 gr wolf, lacquer and polymer coated.

But I'm happy to shoot it during matches if it's 50yds and in.

New Sponser = VERY COOL!

I haven't had problems with wolf's reliability in .45 or 9mm, but I haven't shot that much.  Lately it's priced about the same as the WWB here so I only get it if I happen to be at the gunshow.

My experience with my AR is opposite as stingerjg's.  My 100 groups (which aren't tiny as I've got no "rifle skilz") are about double my WWB, consistently.  This is both 55 and 62 gr wolf, lacquer and polymer coated. 

But I'm happy to shoot it during matches if it's 50yds and in.

I have found that Wolf 62 grain ammo shoots to the same point of aim and to about the same level of accuracy as Winchester 64 grain Power Point, which is my agency's issued duty ammo. Given these results, I find Wolf to be a good practice alternative. I've never run any across a chronograph but it does feel a little "light."

I love Wolf .45 ball. Shot it at the 2005 Single Stack Classic, worked absolutely flawlessly, chronoed at 167 p.f. (just like it did at home).

Perfect match ammo for 1911s if you ask me, especially for those "lost brass" matches!

Mike

sorry dude - no action shots , will take care of that next match..

Thanks for checking, Mark.

With regards to next month's match, I haven't got the latest work schedule yet but I'll call in sick if I have to. I hope my boss doesn't frequent this board!

It not your imagination; it smells like ammonia. I notice it more in .223 & 7.62x39mm but it is still present AFAIK.

Despite that, its fine ammo in .45 ACP; I have not tested the remaining calibers.

Congrats on the sponsorship - deals like this can only help out the entire sport.

I received my shipment of ammunition, t-shirts, and hat on Friday. I'm looking forward to blasting away with the new ammo.

If you get a chance to shoot at AZ Shooter's World or South Mountain and happen to see a skinny dude in a white "Wolf" shirt, stop and say hello!

I've never run any across a chronograph but it does feel a little "light."

I don't remember the exact numbers, but I do know that in .40S&W it is about 200-300 fps slower than Blazer ammo-- although Blazer is pretty hot.

I don't shoot IDPA yet, although I am interested in it -- what kind of ammo is acceptable, and has anyone had any luck with Blazer? I think I'm hearing that Wolf FMJ is acceptable -- is this correct?

Thanks!

CCI Blazer and Blazer Brass : 180@985fps = 177PF

Wolf 180@990fps = 178PF

both 40sw , unknown barrel lengths .

until that day

Mark

edit to add: data provided by manufacturer websites.

Edited by Mark Perez

I will relook on Cheaper Than Dirt's website -- that's where I'm almost positive that I saw it say Blazer 180gr are 1100+ fps. When I saw it on their website I was wondering if it was a misprint. I thought that was really fast for a 180gr bullet.

Thanks for the info -- I will check the website again and let them know if it really did say 1100 or whatever.

Jp

I was Shooting Blazer Brass 180gr at Ohio State USPSA Match and it was almost 1100, I think it was like 1080 with a power factor of 180 out of a Glock 35

And win wb 180gr out of the same gun Average was 972fps power factor 174.9

And on a side note about Wolf I have well over 6000 rounds with my Glock

With out a problem. But I have not chronoed it.

I used to shoot a lot of Blazer 180's through my G35. I chrono'ed it thru my gun and another stock barreled G35. They both showed that exact same ten round average...1043fps. (1043 x 180 = 187.74pf)

Same gun and ammo made 189.9 pf at the Nationals a few years back.

I haven't chrono'ed Blazer recently, however.

. . . I found the website and velocities:

sportsmansguide.com

Blazer 180gr @ 1175 fps

Wolf 180gr @ 990 fps

According to the research that Rick did (and I just checked Blazer's website) it looks like Sportsmansguide must have their numbers off a little.

Jp

JP, did you see the link that I posted no matter what the Sportsman's Guide lists. As you see from examples it really does matter what gun and what barrel you fire the ammo out of. That's why they make chronys.

An example" Out of my G34 the Blazer 115 get me an average of 1212 out of my barrel and makes about 140 PF. Out of a friends gun with the same barrel length but tighter chamber of a Bar-Sto barrel he gets closer to 1300 fps for a PF of close to 150. Same ammo, same barrel length.

The way to tell is to chrony it out of your gun.

Rick