Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Unburned powder

dvc4you

I was testing my new 9major topend and seeing how much gas was being expelled forward (with the bullet) rather than upwards by the popple holes and compensator.

I was shooting a heavily pasted target at 6 inches and seeing how many pasters would fly off :).6415bfd3779f45d5a083ca46dafca4d7.jpg

This is my current configuration, shooting 121 MG under 9.2gr of 3N38 @ 1.170.

Anyway, I notice not a lot of disturbance in the pasters (good) but did notice unburned powder on them.

Is there any change I can do to have 100% powder burn?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If the load is otherwise performing as you want, it's likely not worth worrying about.

Full burn would most likely need a faster burning powder that may not be able to make Major within as low a pressure.

Guy

The compensator is working just fine, the dot is returning consistently to the same spot.
My thought behind the question was that unburned powder = unused gas for the compensator.
Not a big issue, I am just greedy....

4 minutes ago, RaylanGivens said:

It would seem that unburned powder would be powder wasted...  You should be able to reduce your load and stay at the same powerfactor...

Unfortunately in short-barrled comp’ed gun (a handgun) with slow burning powder, it doesn’t quite work that way.

3 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

You’re never going to get full burn in this situation, even if you drop the powder charge.

You’ll just wind up failing to make power factor.

Just now, Maximis228 said:

^^^ Facts

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you two, but it seems logical that it would be the case.

If you have 10% unburned powder and remove 10% of the powder...  Why wouldn't all the powder now burn?

5 minutes ago, RaylanGivens said:

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you two, but it seems logical that it would be the case.

If you have 10% unburned powder and remove 10% of the powder...  Why wouldn't all the powder now burn?

Yea... many have tried this on their own and seen what MemphisMechanic has already stated. 

You are more than welcome to try your theory, I just know from personal experience it doesn't work like you stated.

1 minute ago, Maximis228 said:

Yea... many have tried this on their own and seen what MemphisMechanic has already stated. 

You are more than welcome to try your theory, I just know from personal experience it doesn't work like you stated.

I'm not doubting that it might be true...  I'm just curious why...

I shoot HS6 and load and chrono like everyone else does...  I don't notice much unburned powder, although I don't really look for it...  I just wipe it out when I clean my gun...

I was thinking of of switching primers to something hotter, I am currently using WSR primers. Maybe buy a case and do the same test...magnum primers? Other primer brands? This is a heavily compressed load @ 1,175, how about going down to 1,165? Would a shorter OAL decrease the amount of unburned powder?

ANSWER:   Yes, less unburnt powder using magnum small pistol primers (federal) vs small pistol (federal) in my open gun (using HS6 at 1.160)..........you also get slightly higher PF so can go down .1 or .2 grains in your load if you wish

Edited by race1911

Quickload software is able to estimate the amount of powder burnt.  I found this interesting when I first started using Quickload but I don't think it matters much other than more unburnt powder would likely make the powder seem dirtier.  One large benefit of slower powder is generally lower pressure.

Here is an example comparing powders assuming same 124gn bullet, case volume, and velocity. 

Silhouette: 6.69gn, 100% powder burnt, Max pressure 49,692

HS-6:  7.38gn, 97.5% powder burnt,  Max pressure 48,451

3n37:  7.05gn, 98.8% powder burnt,  Max pressure 46,894

3n38:  8.38gn, 86.9% powder burnt,  Max pressure 47,145  (note: heavily compressed)

AA7:    8.90gn, 82.1% powder burnt,  Max pressure 44,718

Shorter OAL does not make a noteworthy change in burnt powder %.