Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

steel tube glock mags

I was talking with a fellow pcc shooter and we were wondering if anyone makes glock mags WITHOUT the polymer casing. 

I get it that the OEM mags are made for the glock guns themselves with a polymer frame and mag release. In a PCC with a steel / aluminum frame and a mag release that is metal as well, it seems that a metal tube magazine would be best. It appears to me that continuing to use polymer glock mags would eventually wear out the mag cut out on the mag and cause problems with retention in the gun.

I looked around and saw some on armslist and the dates were from several years ago. So that is what prompts this question and conversation.

Long time ago, USA Mags had a steel Glock mag. They were notorious for wearing out Glock mag catches, They died off in the early 90's. I only have experience with a PSA Glock lower, and it had a plastic  mag catch.

4 hours ago, stick said:

glock magazines has a steel tube inside them

Magazine-Technology-V2A-.jpg

i know that they have a steel insert. That insert DOES NOT go the full length of the magazine AND is not what I was asking about. Using these in PCC's that have metal magwells and metal (for the most part) mag release buttons will eventually wear down the cutout on the mag and then you have a worthless magazine.

I know at least one person who is having to replace some of the Glock mags for his PCC because the notch for the magazine catch is deformed.
And a perfectly good reason for all steel mags

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

For $20 bucks I can get mags. Not really an issue. I have not noticed excessive wear yet, but only have about 3k thru this gun. The old all steel mags were crap and didn't work reliably. 
Well technology has improved greatly. I would like to see someone make some for use only in a pcc.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

I switched from a PSA polymer mag catch to an aluminum ODIN extended mag catch around 8000 rds ago.  Spread out through all of my mags that's not really that much use.  The 17 rd Glock and the 21 rd Pmags get the most wear due to dry fire exercises and so far none show significant wear.

I have had some problems with the big stick mags.  With extra high cap extensions loaded to capacity, several have swollen making them stick in my PCC magwell.  All steel mags may solve that problem but at what expense?

I came from open with the $100 plus mags to PCC with $30 or less Glock original mags. Nice to go cheap.

I have had zero issues with OEM Glock 33 round mags.  Because I do reloads instead of spliced magazines, I generally use the Magpul 21 round magazines, thanks to Eric's recommendation.  Zero issues with those also.

I feel the problems are due more to the lower manufacturers than the Glock mags.  Some manufacturers redo their lowers under warranty.  My CMMG Guard has a great lower.  I have had zero problems with it in any way: feeding, locking in the magazine, dropping free, etc.

I have one 31rd tube that I bought back in about 2005. Some use in pistols. Lots in a PCC with a metal mag catch. almost two dozen matches where it gets used as a starting mag for every stage other than classifiers, bunch of practice,ect. No issues so far

QC10 lower 

I still have several of the USA brand Glock 9mm magazines and they SUCK for PCC.  I have 4 of the "standard capacity" mags, only 2 of which will actually hold 17, the other two won't take round #17.  Worse, all but one are slightly oversized and wont even go into my ATI carbine.  They do accept Glock springs and followers, but are abysmal at LRHO in pistols.  They also don't accept any basepads known to man.    The 30 rounders are even worse.  They are also slightly oversized and neither one of the two I have will even go into my ATI carbine either.  They fit OK in my SUB2000, but they wouldn't feed worth a darn.

My plan when I wear out the mag catch notch on a magazine is to try to rebuild it with JB weld or maybe try to epoxy a bit of metal in place of the buggered plastic.  Maybe we can convince a magazine manufacturer to incorporate a bit of metal in the top edge of the mag catch kind of like Lancer does on their feed lips?

Edited by barrysuperhawk
6 hours ago, barrysuperhawk said:

I still have several of the USA brand Glock 9mm magazines and they SUCK for PCC.  I have 4 of the "standard capacity" mags, only 2 of which will actually hold 17, the other two won't take round #17.  Worse, all but one are slightly oversized and wont even go into my ATI carbine.  They do accept Glock springs and followers, but are abysmal at LRHO in pistols.  They also don't accept any basepads known to man.    The 30 rounders are even worse.  They are also slightly oversized and neither one of the two I have will even go into my ATI carbine either.  They fit OK in my SUB2000, but they wouldn't feed worth a darn.

My plan when I wear out the mag catch notch on a magazine is to try to rebuild it with JB weld or maybe try to epoxy a bit of metal in place of the buggered plastic.  Maybe we can convince a magazine manufacturer to incorporate a bit of metal in the top edge of the mag catch kind of like Lancer does on their feed lips?

Why not buy Glock OEM mags? Im always slightly confused by the practice of buying aftermarket Glock mags. 

43 minutes ago, Patrick Scott said:

Why not buy Glock OEM mags? Im always slightly confused by the practice of buying aftermarket Glock mags. 

You can save a dollar or two. I like for my competition to run them. In fact I recommend it. They work great until they don't.

On 3/31/2018 at 6:46 PM, Patrick Scott said:

I bought the usa mags during the AWB when real glock mags were $100 each for police trade ins. I never had the heart to try to sell them after...

As far as the Plethora of OTHER non-OEM Glock mags, my glock mag 9mm PCC came with ETS magazines, so technically they ARE OEM mags, and I have never had any trouble with any of them.  I like ETS as a company, and I feel they market a superior product, as does Magpul, which is the other aftermarket mag producer that I rely heavily upon.

On 3/29/2018 at 12:44 PM, JAFO said:

I know at least one person who is having to replace some of the Glock mags for his PCC because the notch for the magazine catch is deformed.

That seems to be changing the wear item in the interaction from the cheap part (the mag) to the expensive part (the receiver), kind of like putting the hardest ceramic brake pads that you can find on your car only to have to start replacing rotors instead...  I guess that might make sense on something like a STI race gun where the grip modules are cheap and the mags are ridiculous, but I am not sure that makes sense here...

Edited by barrysuperhawk