Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Greatest teaching ever spoken by a Yoga teacher

benos

Last night Candis was in an Ashtanga Yoga class and brought home this story...

If you've ever done Ashtanga Yoga, especially as a beginner, you know how difficult it is. They were coming to the end of the hour long class. I can't remember the name of the pose - but a sort of a push up is involved in it. It is done frequently throughout the class and by the time the class ends you've had enough of them. As they were coming to the final rounds of that pose, the teacher said something close to, instead of doing the pose, just take a few breaths - then exactly - "because not everything needs to be a f*#king nightmare."

I've laughed out loud every time I've thought of that story since last night.

on the list.

avoid ashtanga.  got it!

I do pushups so I can prove I do them.

... I was accused of being a teeter totter anyway.

serious face....

It sounds like you have a good instructor.

miranda 

I took the yoga class they offered as a PE credit in college.  I thought I was smart because it was worth 2 credits and that silly karate class I took had only been worth one credit...  I still remember the pain.

16 minutes ago, Piracy85 said:

Hot yoga is horrible, stay away. I see patients all the time with severe electrolyte imbalances after attending those classes. 

If someone breaking a sweat causes health problems I don't think the yoga should be what gets the Blame. 

55 minutes ago, Garmil said:

If someone breaking a sweat causes health problems I don't think the yoga should be what gets the Blame. 

Dehydration can happen to anyone no matter their heath status. Dehydration causes electrolytes to become unbalanced that can lead to arrhythmia, altered mental status and seizures.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

A few jobs ago the gym I attended had yoga classed. I can say with certainty its now all about laying around and relaxed breathing. Only thing worse was a Barre class I took.....once. A bunch of us just got out of a bootcamp class and said “what could be so hard, we just survived bootcamp”. I found muscles I had no idea I had. I challenge any mans man here to go try a Barre class and report back! All I can say is take pain meds before the class starts....