Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

lighter 24 3g trigger pull

I love my hiperfire hipertouch 24 3g trigger.

I would love it more if I could get the trigger pull to sub 2 pounds

Does anyone have any suggestions on how one would go about getting the pull lighter?\

Changing the hammer spring? 

Changing the trigger spring?

IF yes, what springs and where to get them? 

Would you polish / stone any parts of the FCG?

Looking forward to your responses.

Mark

The trigger feel on my 24c is different after adding anti walk pins.  I don’t have a gauge so I can’t tell you the weight but it feels (if not heavier) less crisp than before.  I’ve had guys who like light triggers that it’s lighter than they feel confortable shooting. It’s probably the same pull weight (2-ish) as before but definitely feels different. 

Edited by jkrispies
2 minutes ago, jkrispies said:

The trigger feel on my 24c is different after adding anti walk pins.  I don’t have a gauge so I can’t tell you the weight but it feels (if not heavier) less crisp than before.  I’ve had guys who like light triggers add  say that it’s lighter than they feel confortable shooting.  It’s probably the same pull weight (2-ish) as before but definitely feels different. 

Less crisp? that sounds like adding the pins added creep to the trigger. 

I am for lighter trigger, that is the point of my post, but not to the detriment of adding creep to the pull. 

One of the things I like is that there is basically ZERO creep and a defined crisp break at the wall. I use the silver springs on my trigger and like the overall feel. I just want it lighter. kinda like a 1911 trigger at 1.5 pounds; Less finger muscle needed so I can tap it and my old arthritic fingers can hopefully keep up with those young whipper-snappers.

The first time I installed the KNS anti-walk/anti-drift pins on a PCC with a 24C trigger, it made very noticeable difference.  Someone on Boomer Shooter recommended I use the pin that has the screws in it as the hammer pin.  I left the screws loose enough that the pin could rotate a bit.  That seemed to help. Still not as good as it was with standard mil-spec pins, but good enough that I was happy. 

I don't think it increased the trigger pull weight but gave it a slight "slushy" feel.

Since then I've put several more Hiperfire triggers in my guns always with the KNS pins installed with the rotating pin in the hammer pin hole.

If I remember correctly, the addition of these pins were addressed on the Hiperfire website.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

I had read that the forces generated within the 9mm FCG were much higher than that in a .223 lower. These forces would in time cause the holes for the hammer pin to oval out and the change of spacing between the holes made triggers act badly. 

The addition of the anti-walk/anti-rotate pins may not totally eliminate the problem but could delay it for thousands of rounds.  Rather than risk future problems, i went ahead and installed the pins.  One lower has nearly 10K rds through it and so far no damage to the lower receiver.

ok guys,

This is starting to turn into a thread about the pros and cons of anti walk pins.

I am all for information and discussion, I would just like to keep it on point... meaning, OUTSIDE of anti walk pins, is there another way to get a hiperfire FCG down under 2 pounds of pull?

SO, does anyone have any experience changing out the hammer or trigger springs OR modifying the supplied springs to reduce pull weight?

would polishing the assembly help in smoothing out the surfaces to get the pull weight down since friction would be decreased?

12 minutes ago, mstamper said:

SO, does anyone have any experience changing out the hammer or trigger springs OR modifying the supplied springs to reduce pull weight?

would polishing the assembly help in smoothing out the surfaces to get the pull weight down since friction would be decreased?

Just a thought.  Since the heavier the toggle springs the lighter the trigger pull, you might see if there is a source for heavier springs than are offered in the kit.

8 minutes ago, Flatland Shooter said:

Just a thought.  Since the heavier the toggle springs the lighter the trigger pull, you might see if there is a source for heavier springs than are offered in the kit.

from what I remember reading, the heavier toggle springs also increases the hammer fall strength. Meaning, the silver springs cause the hammer to strike harder. IF I find heavier springs, that would cause the hammer to fall even harder. PCC's already have some history with breaking firing pins. I can just see having to change out a pin mid match. 

Nice thought, but not sure if that is the fix. It is worthy of keeping in consideration.

6 hours ago, mstamper said:

from what I remember reading, the heavier toggle springs also increases the hammer fall strength. Meaning, the silver springs cause the hammer to strike harder. IF I find heavier springs, that would cause the hammer to fall even harder. PCC's already have some history with breaking firing pins. I can just see having to change out a pin mid match. 

Nice thought, but not sure if that is the fix. It is worthy of keeping in consideration.

In that case, your other alternative would be to replace the hammer spring with a reduced power spring.  I know that JP offers their yellow spring, but I have no idea how that compares with what Hiperfire comes with.  You can also go too far with that and the toggle springs can overpower the hammer spring to where the hammer never falls. 

55 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Using the KNS anti rotation spring adds about 3-4ozs of trigger pull. Using standard pins or the CMC pins allows the pin to rotate in the lower and also the hammer and trigger. Thanks, Eric

Interesting.  What if the KNS pins had the screws set so that they weren't tight against the receiver, so the pins could still rotate?  Would that eliminate the increase in pull weight?

I used the jp light hammer spring with the mid weight toggle springs.. it sits at 2lbs. I did this so I would not beat up my firing pin with the heavy toggle springs

I tried using the heavy toggle springs but it caused reset and binding issues.

Im going to polish up the trigger group tonight to see if that helps.

I will let you know what the out come is

16 minutes ago, Photon said:

I had a JP trigger with KNS pins in my NFA lower when I installed the 24C.

It has a crisp 2lb trigger pull with no creep using the KNS pins.

Lucky I guess.

Just curious, what was your pull weight with the JP?

Hmm. I have the hyperfire eclipse in my

JP lower with the standard mil spec

pins and my trigger is 2.5-2.6oz :(   This is with using the silver springs.   2lbs or just under sounds really nice.   Sigh 

This may just be attributable to pure luck, but all (3) of my JP triggers break at about 2 lbs, my CTR is about 1.75 and my GMR is just under 2 lbs with a third right at 2 lbs.  Because of the design, they have zero take-up and short throw with no creep.  I replaced the springs with the JP reduced power springs on the one trigger that did not already come with the yellow reduced power springs.