Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New USPSA Scoring

Hammer002

1 hour ago, PatJones said:
On 4/2/2018 at 6:35 PM, Sarge said:
It was not well received by the membership I know that.

The A zone is too small.

True but it was not about that.

9 hours ago, PatJones said:

The A zone is too small.

??

"Honey, do these smaller targets make my butt look big?"

Aiming is fun, and there is no minimum distance on paper. 

The complaints I have heard have been along the lines of political correctness being force fed. I think of you told those folks they were not allowed to use turtles then they would flop sides. 

People need to get over their complete and totally ridiculous fear of anything they deem "PC". This is a game, pure and simple. The turtle targets are more challenging, in the spirit of that game. This game has martial roots, just as judo or javelin do. But at this point, it is nothing but a game, and people pretending that it is self defense training are misguided. It does, however, improve your gun handling and marksmanship under pressure, skills that transcend into any armed encounter someone could find themselves in. If you can shoot alphas at will at speed on a classic target, I don't think there would be any issues hitting an attacker in a SD scenario. 

32 minutes ago, Gooldylocks said:

People need to get over their complete and totally ridiculous fear of anything they deem "PC". This is a game, pure and simple. The turtle targets are more challenging, in the spirit of that game. This game has martial roots, just as judo or javelin do. But at this point, it is nothing but a game, and people pretending that it is self defense training are misguided. It does, however, improve your gun handling and marksmanship under pressure, skills that transcend into any armed encounter someone could find themselves in. If you can shoot alphas at will at speed on a classic target, I don't think there would be any issues hitting an attacker in a SD scenario. 

We are entitled to our opinions. For me its less about PC but more about constantly being forced to just take it.

6 minutes ago, Sarge said:

We are entitled to our opinions. For me its less about PC but more about constantly being forced to just take it.

And what exactly are you being forced to take in this instance? A different cardboard target for a game, that is more challenging while also improving competitive equity?

7 minutes ago, Gooldylocks said:

And what exactly are you being forced to take in this instance? A different cardboard target for a game, that is more challenging while also improving competitive equity?

Not being forced to take it currently, but yes. 

Getting rid of metrics would be a bad idea. USPSA is about options, anything that limits those options is no bueno.  If a match director wants only turtles, that is fine, if he only wants metrics, fine too, a little of both, fine too (not on the same stage though :-).  Why anyone would purposely reduce options always dumbfounds me 

4 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Irony anyone :) ?

Not by me, just the rules.  I personally don't care if they are on the same stage and at a couple of club matches I have even seen it happen.  But don't tell anyone their head might explode

1 hour ago, RJH said:

Not by me, just the rules.  I personally don't care if they are on the same stage and at a couple of club matches I have even seen it happen.  But don't tell anyone their head might explode

Hmmm. The reason I was told that you could not mix targets was that back in the days of flintlocks & stone tablets it created a scoring complication when some of the targets did not have a B zone. Since the B zone is being eliminated from the metric target I wonder if the no mix rule will go away?

1 hour ago, Racinready300ex said:

Just from a OCD standpoint, I think it looks a lot more professional to use all the same targets on a stage.

At least half of the guys I see at matches are wearing multicolored tech wear shirts that probably fit 10 years ago, and pants that might stay up if it wasn't for the weight of the gun and all associated hardware. I think my eyes could tolerate seeing a different target here and there.

But if you want 100% this or that, that is cool. 

Getting rid of metrics would be a bad idea. USPSA is about options, anything that limits those options is no bueno.  If a match director wants only turtles, that is fine, if he only wants metrics, fine too, a little of both, fine too (not on the same stage though :-).  Why anyone would purposely reduce options always dumbfounds me 

Right? We could use a couple more divisions too. More options.

8 hours ago, PatJones said:

Right? We could use a couple more divisions too. More options.

Well, we could always stand and shoot bullseye, or if that is too slow how about 5 stages of el prez, cause you know, options suck? 

PS I would be fine with 1-4 divisions, but then a crap ton of people would cry about fairness.

17 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

At least half of the guys I see at matches are wearing multicolored tech wear shirts that probably fit 10 years ago, and pants that might stay up if it wasn't for the weight of the gun and all associated hardware. I think my eyes could tolerate seeing a different target here and there.

But if you want 100% this or that, that is cool. 

It just looks nicer, at a club match it may not matter as much. But at majors I think it's worth going the extra mile to make things presentable. Having all the walls build and painted the same,  no barrels and little things like that can make a match that much nicer. Having each stage have all the same target looks adds to that. I wouldn't say the whole match needs to have the same target, although I wouldn't have a problem with it.

We can't really control what people wear, I don't really notice it much other than the weirdos in kilts.

5 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

It just looks nicer, at a club match it may not matter as much. But at majors I think it's worth going the extra mile to make things presentable. Having all the walls build and painted the same,  no barrels and little things like that can make a match that much nicer. Having each stage have all the same target looks adds to that. I wouldn't say the whole match needs to have the same target, although I wouldn't have a problem with it.

We can't really control what people wear, I don't really notice it much other than the weirdos in kilts.

No worries, you like what you like & I'm sure a lot of folks feel the same way. Any match cosmetics beyond keeping the trash picked up is completely wasted on me.

4 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

No worries, you like what you like & I'm sure a lot of folks feel the same way. Any match cosmetics beyond keeping the trash picked up is completely wasted on me.

I was asked once if it was possible to replace gravel with astroturf.

Astroturf is way too hot. Cushions your body, but will burn you up in the process.  Neat and orderly will do,  don't really matter if all the mesh is the same color or if the wall construction is identical go me that just cost $$$$$ and makes my pocket hurt.