Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

95 or 98 gr loads?

I have shot them before, and they feel really nice, but since most PCC's are for USPSA we are forced to shoot 115gr+ projectiles.  I am not sure what the factor was on mine, since I just replaced 115's with 88's and 95's and left the charge weight alone.  They were cool for shooting (non-falling) steel, felt close to a .22.

Edited by L9X25
2 minutes ago, L9X25 said:

I have shot them before, and they feel really nice, but since most PCC's are for USPSA we are forced to shoot 115gr+ projectiles.  I am not sure what the factor was on mine, since I just replaced 115's with 88's and 95's and left the charge weight alone.  They were cool for shooting (non-falling) steel, felt close to a .22.

Where is that rule? I recently looked and only saw 112 minimum for major power factor.

9 minutes ago, Garmil said:

Where is that rule? I recently looked and only saw 112 minimum for major power factor.

You are correct, I am just not aware of anything less between 112 and 115gr, so I consider 115 to be the limit.

I think that they did that to keep from disqualifying people that claimed 115 and then came up light at the chrono.  That 3grs is a safety margin.

Edited by L9X25
Just now, L9X25 said:

You are correct, I am just not aware of anything less between 112 and 115gr, so I consider 115 to be the limit.

Ok where is the rule other than that though? 112 for major power factor in open doesn't apply to minor. 

I used up all of my 88's but have some 95's. 

I loaded up a few to chrono tomorrow, we will see how that works out.

My main concern is that they have to be loaded short to have much engagement with the case.

I don't want any projectiles to pop out from recoil while in the mag.

If I can get the load right, I may shoot them at a match this weekend.

I remember shooting some 88 in the old days in open, it was a extremely flat shooting pistol. It was very rough on the cheap poppers.  I think that they would be great in PCC.  I had heard that there may be some rule changes in the works for PCC.  I hope they just leave it alone, because it is fun the way it is. 

8 hours ago, Neomet said:

Before you get too excited about the USPSA max velocity be aware almost all ranges will limit you to 1500 fps on steel in pistol bays.  

Remember, we score minor and will likely not shoot less than 95 grs.  That means that we will be targeting about 1,370 fps.  That is still well below what the Open guys shoot with 115's.

I ran some 98gr Egglestons & 95gr Xtreme plated for awhile with 4.1- 4.4 grs of Titegroup out of a 16" JP barrel and loved them. Made PF at about 1300-1400FPS. Loved them, shot flat, no problems with large poppers and steel. Dot did not move.

Problem I had was loading them. They are so short and small I would have a few that would pass my case gauge, and would all shoot OK, no accuracy problems or key holing, but at the end of a stage they would not extract. If you forced them, they would pull off the case and had to use a rod to remove. Happened to me once in the middle of a stage where I had a jam and racked it out pulling the bullet off the case and ended the stage. Has happened to a shooting buddy who used them. Could just be our loading techniques. 

I went with 115grs and really can't tell the difference.

gerritm

The only problem that I am having is that the 95's seem to be too short for the bullet feeder.   The feeder drops 2 projectiles about half the time, even after adjusting it to where it would barely drop projectiles.  

1 minute ago, L9X25 said:

The only problem that I am having is that the 95's seem to be too short for the bullet feeder.   The feeder drops 2 projectiles about half the time, even after adjusting it to where it would barely drop projectiles.  

Not sure it would help but Rick and DAA have a video on adjusting for lighter vs heavier bullets on youtube.

@sarge, 

Thanks for the tip, the video shows that they have 2 sets of holes, one for each length of projectiles. 

Moving the balls to the other set of holes should solve my problem.  

Not to see if my dropper has both sets of holes...

Thanks again!

ETA: My dropper had both sets of holes. moving the balls to the other set resolved the double bullet drop ... thanks again @Sarge

Edited by L9X25
1 hour ago, L9X25 said:

@sarge, 

Thanks for the tip, the video shows that they have 2 sets of holes, one for each length of projectiles. 

Moving the balls to the other set of holes should solve my problem.  

Not to see if my dropper has both sets of holes...

Thanks again!

ETA: My dropper had both sets of holes. moving the balls to the other set resolved the double bullet drop ... thanks again @Sarge

No problem. I use those videos all the time. If I get even a little glitch in mine I pull one up and check it out. They are a great resource.