Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

95 or 98 gr loads?

18 hours ago, Neomet said:

Before you get too excited about the USPSA max velocity be aware almost all ranges will limit you to 1500 fps on steel in pistol bays.  

I shoot at higher than that with my open gun a lot of the time. Keep in mind 1520 with a 115 is 175pf.

I purchased my feeder many years ago from the original guy that made them in his garage.  They were mostly made from PVC pipe but has been perfect for years.  When I set up my second press, I purchased a 2nd dropper from the new people and just move the head from machine to machine.  The new dropper did not come with any instructions, so I just installed it and it worked fine.  I had no idea that it was adjustable since I had never had the need to adjust it.

6 hours ago, Gooldylocks said:

I shoot at higher than that with my open gun a lot of the time. Keep in mind 1520 with a 115 is 175pf.

Yeppers.  I was surprised when I saw that restriction the first time as I am damned close with my Open gun as well.  

8 hours ago, Sarge said:

None of the places I have ever shot limit velocity

I will say I have never heard of anyone getting dinged for this, other than the obvious cases of shooting .223.  Take a look at the warnings for most, if not all of the target manufacturers' products using AR500, the most common steel in pistol bays.  They carry a warning not to exceed 1500 fps with pistol ammo.  I imagine this is where the limitations I've seen are coming from. 

I cannot say with certainty why, but we stopped having problems with steel shortly after they reduced the Major power factor.  There may have been advances in steel, or we started buying better steel, or the velocity drop, but we have poppers that are 5+ years old and look perfect with no dents, dings or bends.    Before that I recall popper being replaced frequently with large craters and bends that could cause splatter to be directed back toward the shooters.