Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dovetail Mount for Carry Optics

boudreux

Has anyone used a dovetail mount to shoot carry optics? If so, how do they hold up? I have a glock 34, not the MOS version; I'd like to try out carry optics but do not want to have the slide milled just incase I don't like it. 

I got the outer impact mount for my g34.  Doevetail Insert was loose as I could push it in easily with just finger pressure, however it uses 2 screws to lock it in.  So far after 4 matches it has not moved.  A buddy of mine got the EGW dovetail mount and I had to really knock it in with a brass punch and it’s tapered so it would only start from left to right IIRC, but it uses only one screw to lock it in place.  They both cost about the same., and both seem to work well.

I don't mind the dovetail mount on my CO guns. I've primarily shot open since 2003, first with a Serendipity, then with a 90* C-more, so having the lens high off the slide is no big deal. A dovetail mounted mini dot is not much higher than a 90* C-more. Some dry fire, and you'll have it. 

I have JPoint dovetail Glock mount, & it is rock solid. EGW & Springer are other good choices. 

• 3 weeks later...

I use a dovetail mount from Springer on my back up optics gun, a .40 XDM 5.25. I find no disadvantage using one over the milled frame unit. I always keep in mind open shooters are far above the slide and indeed they seem to be plenty accurate and the bore axis problem so many talk about does not seem to bother the open boys.

Give it a try, low cost, and I think you will like CO, and may just use the dovetail mount.

• 1 month later...

I started out with the dovetail mount on a G-34, just to see if Carry Optics was something I would like. I quickly learned I did like shooting it, so I had the slide milled. Happy I went that route. I agree the difference in sight height is minimal, but the difference was enough that I would never do dovetail mounts again.