Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ghetto SS/CDP Blaster?

AzNooB

I bought a used Springfield GI .45 a couple years ago for dirt cheap that just sits. It's not in the best cosmetic shape and I've maybe fired 50 rounds out of it since I've owned it because it's not all that pleasant to shoot. I thought it would be fun to turn it into a ghetto SS project using as little money as possible.

Things I would need to address:

1. Sights - I want a fiber optic front sight and black adjustable rear that can be installed on a stock GI slide. What should I look at? I like a .125" rear and a .120"-.110" front.
  2. Beavertail - I want one that allows me to get my hand higher on the gun and not dig into my hand under recoil. I also don't want to have to alter the frame to install it. I don't care about aesthetics.
  3. Mag well - I looked at the Wilson one that just mounts over the grip screw bushings. Is there anything less expensive that will get the same results?
  4. Mag release - The one that's on it now is really short and stiff. I either want an extended button or maybe I can get away with cutting the spring a coil or two. Thoughts?
  5. Mags - I'm under the impression that Wilson makes the most reliable mags but they're not exactly inexpensive. What 8 rounders will work reliably in the sub $20 range? Any? I'm just shooting ball ammo so I'm not too concerned about feeding JHP.
  6. Trigger pull weight - Is it easy to lighten the trigger safely using the stock components? I've never filed or stoned FCG parts before in my life. The factory trigger is on the heavy side for SAO.

Is there anything else I'm missing? Things like the GI safety work fine and arched MSH w/ ILS work fine for me even though they're not ideal.

I have had good luck with the McCormick shooting star mags in my 45s
I found a super cheep plastic magwell on e bay that I put on a beater years ago on a whim I think it was about $5 not nearly as nice as the Dawson but better than nothing. For sights I like fixed and I believe there are some that will fit the factory cut with a tennon front sight to match on Brownells, not sure about adjustable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I have had good luck with the McCormick shooting star mags in my 45s
I found a super cheep plastic magwell on e bay that I put on a beater years ago on a whim I think it was about $5 not nearly as nice as the Dawson but better than nothing. For sights I like fixed and I believe there are some that will fit the factory cut with a tennon front sight to match on Brownells, not sure about adjustable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

1. you're going to need to get the rear cut for the sight you want. sights and work at least $300.

2. everything will need some degree of fitting. you'll need the grip safety to function if you want it to be a ss/cdp gun. $70 for an ed brown

3. lots of options here that take less work than the wilson. i like the dawson ipsc legal one. it's integrated into the msh so very easy to install. $70

4. dawson extended, threaded. it will be the 0.20 inches from the frame for idpa, just dont run the button. run the button in ss. get a wolf low power mag catch spring. $65 total

5. wilson etm mags. in my mind the best. $40 each you'll want 7.

6. just polish stuff. don't worry about angles. install a 17 or 19 main spring. install a lighter firing pin spring. all new springs $25

you forgot grips. i live VZ. $75

your list above is about 900 dollars total. or 600ish without mags, just gun stuff.

18 hours ago, AzNooB said:

I bought a used Springfield GI .45 a couple years ago for dirt cheap that just sits. It's not in the best cosmetic shape and I've maybe fired 50 rounds out of it since I've owned it because it's not all that pleasant to shoot. I thought it would be fun to turn it into a ghetto SS project using as little money as possible.

Things I would need to address:

1. Sights - I want a fiber optic front sight and black adjustable rear that can be installed on a stock GI slide. What should I look at? I like a .125" rear and a .120"-.110" front.
  2. Beavertail - I want one that allows me to get my hand higher on the gun and not dig into my hand under recoil. I also don't want to have to alter the frame to install it. I don't care about aesthetics.
  3. Mag well - I looked at the Wilson one that just mounts over the grip screw bushings. Is there anything less expensive that will get the same results?
  4. Mag release - The one that's on it now is really short and stiff. I either want an extended button or maybe I can get away with cutting the spring a coil or two. Thoughts?
  5. Mags - I'm under the impression that Wilson makes the most reliable mags but they're not exactly inexpensive. What 8 rounders will work reliably in the sub $20 range? Any? I'm just shooting ball ammo so I'm not too concerned about feeding JHP.
  6. Trigger pull weight - Is it easy to lighten the trigger safely using the stock components? I've never filed or stoned FCG parts before in my life. The factory trigger is on the heavy side for SAO.

Is there anything else I'm missing? Things like the GI safety work fine and arched MSH w/ ILS work fine for me even though they're not ideal.

I have a GI model Springfield. It is accurate beyond its price point.

Sights: 

Front tenon is Springfield specific, I think Fusion offers it in a fiber sight. A wide tenon can be filed down but if not done perfectly the sight will cant when staked. Staking should be done with a proper tool, I would suggest silver solder as well, staked sights are notorious for coming loose.

Rear: Don't know that anyone makes an adjustable for a Government dovetail, it would be very tall if they did. 10-8 National Match is a very nice fixed option.

Local smith charged like $80 to cut my slide for real sights.

Beavertail:

You want drop in, Wilson is the only game I know of, you will have to change to a non-spur type hammer or cut the spur off yours. If you decide you can handle frame mods you will need a .220 radius to avoid welding/gaps.

Magwell:

I think that's as cheap as it gets, maybe check eBay, Klonimus has good cheap stuff.

Mag release:

Make sure the hole in the frame isn't rough or excessively tight. 

Mags:

Wilson 48Ds pretty commonly won't activate SA's slide lock. ETMs seem good to go. Never had an problem with my CMC Powermags. I would not go cheap on mags.

Trigger pull:

You can do a little with the stock components but I wouldn't go crazy as I believe they're just surfaced hardened MIM, could play with the main spring weight (IIRC traditional mainspring components will fit in an ILS housing if you change all of them) and sear spring, polish the trigger bow and frame contacts. Cylinder and Slide kit was actually drop-in in mine.

1 hour ago, rowdyb said:

Truly ghetto would be leaving it as is. Going budget on a CDP/SS gun I'd just buy a totally different gun for 900-1000.

Maybe I should just hand file the mag well and rear sight notch open, then paint the front sight with red fingernail polish.

2 hours ago, Beef15 said:

I have a GI model Springfield. It is accurate beyond its price point.

Sights: 

Front tenon is Springfield specific, I think Fusion offers it in a fiber sight. A wide tenon can be filed down but if not done perfectly the sight will cant when staked. Staking should be done with a proper tool, I would suggest silver solder as well, staked sights are notorious for coming loose.

Rear: Don't know that anyone makes an adjustable for a Government dovetail, it would be very tall if they did. 10-8 National Match is a very nice fixed option.

Local smith charged like $80 to cut my slide for real sights.

Beavertail:

You want drop in, Wilson is the only game I know of, you will have to change to a non-spur type hammer or cut the spur off yours. If you decide you can handle frame mods you will need a .220 radius to avoid welding/gaps.

Magwell:

I think that's as cheap as it gets, maybe check eBay, Klonimus has good cheap stuff.

Mag release:

Make sure the hole in the frame isn't rough or excessively tight. 

Mags:

Wilson 48Ds pretty commonly won't activate SA's slide lock. ETMs seem good to go. Never had an problem with my CMC Powermags. I would not go cheap on mags.

Trigger pull:

You can do a little with the stock components but I wouldn't go crazy as I believe they're just surfaced hardened MIM, could play with the main spring weight (IIRC traditional mainspring components will fit in an ILS housing if you change all of them) and sear spring, polish the trigger bow and frame contacts. Cylinder and Slide kit was actually drop-in in mine.

Does anyone still make those NM style adjustable sights that were available back in the day? I think the 10-8 rear has a .135" notch which is a little wider than my liking. I also like being able to adjust for different POI with different ammo.

bomar or lpa fully adj rear. 75. fo front sight 40. sight cuts $100. plus shipping most likely. sales tax? so 225 really at a minimum for the sights you want.

ghetto is as is. cheap is as is. something to compete with is entirely different. and either is OK. but there is no cheap way to get what you want, starting with what you have.

Rip out crappy front sight. Cut for a Dawson FO. Use existing rear.

Drop in a Wilson beavertail and hammer; "Value" line.

Pick up someone's used "extended" mag release and clean out hole and clip a coil or 2 off the spring.

Bevel mag opening with a file.

Use existing rear sight and "hold" for POI as needed.

Snag a set of used mags off here. I'm a big fan of the Dawson's which I'm fairly certain are Metalform-made.

Pick up a used magwell off here at some point.

Find some ghetto grips for it.

Find a used thumb safety that works.

Ditch the SA ILS crap in MSH and drop in lighter MS (~19#) and standard cap.

Find some local guy to tweak springs to "improve" trigger for little to nothing.

I won mine in a random draw at a match. Have about $200 into it for parts and front sight cut; didn't re-park, just cold blued it. Dropped in GS and hammer parts, extended mag release that already had, installed used larger thumb safety that functions, dumped crappy ILS stuff and added Hogue Magrips(?).

Quite serviceable/shootable at this point.

Edited by wgj3

• 2 weeks later...

Millet used to make an adjustable rear sight that fit the GI rear dovetail. Haven't seen anything of them for years. Don't know if they are still in business or not. If not, maybe someone else has taken up the reins.

As for mags, I been using Shooting Stars since the early 90s. Never found anything better for the 45.

Edited by Dranoel