Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CK or STI 2011?

GIO

So, I bought a CKARMS IDPA pistol from Shooters Connection which has been 100% reliable for over 3000 rounds at this point.  I was impressed enough with the pistol to order a Limited gun from Freedom Gunworks, which is the custom shop for CKARMS.  I'm only a few hundred rounds into the Limited gun, but I will tell you that the IDPA gun wasn't a fluke.  They are building super reliable, super accurate pistols in Camila GA.  Don't be afraid to buy one of the shelf from Shooters Connection or order a more custom pistol from FGW.   I'm impatiently waiting on a 9mm commander to carry at work!!  

Believe me, I was brainwashed to believe your pistol had to cost 4K+ to be awesome.  They don't....

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, davsco said:

this is the claim i don't understand.  sure, CK has some other name brand parts in it, and good ones, but STI's parts are the STI brand which is no slouch in the least.  a fair amount of custom guns start with STI frames.

Agreed. STI Slides, frames & grips form the vast majority of custom guns already out there. But most top Smith’s use better quality remaining parts

• 2 months later...

My CK .40 Limited needed a fair amount of tuning.  If I were to do it over again, I'd spend a little more and get custom.  

I love my two STIs, but I had to return one to the factory due to quality problems; the rear sight was loose.  I dropped it off at the factory and they fixed it while I waited.  Problems like this would get discovered if you bought it pre-tuned.

My CK open gun has had a fair amount of issues. Most of them were fixed under warranty with a quick turn around, one was "fixed" and i am just waiting for it to fail again. Given the choice i would not buy another.

• 4 weeks later...

My CK open pistol has been problem free with over 10k rounds through it.

My Brazo-tuned Edge is a whole different story. I had to replace the whole ignition system because of the lack of quality parts used from STI.

I would buy a limited gun from CK over an STI any day of the week. Just look at all the parts you are getting from CK - quality parts over that of STI IMO.

On another note, CK posted a while back that they would have a line called "The Solution" that is more budget oriented.  Still custom-fit and no MIM parts, but less bells and whistles when it comes to fancier parts, slide cuts, stippled grips, etc.  I think the starting price for those was going to be around $2150 for a limited pistol if I recall.  IMHO, the "STI" or semi-custom choice is about to get a lot easier since you can't find much from STI for under $2500 these days.  The Hawk and Marauder are all that comes to mind.

Edited by fbzero

3 hours ago, fbzero said:

On another note, CK posted a while back that they would have a line called "The Solution" that is more budget oriented.  Still custom-fit and no MIM parts, but less bells and whistles when it comes to fancier parts, slide cuts, stippled grips, etc.  I think the starting price for those was going to be around $2150 for a limited pistol if I recall.  IMHO, the "STI" or semi-custom choice is about to get a lot easier since you can't find much from STI for under $2500 these days.  The Hawk and Marauder are all that comes to mind.

Standard fire controls are Ed Brown. The upgrade id Extreme Engineering. 

ACDF75EB-1203-410B-9FE5-3001B05015F8.jpeg

Edited by scooterj

13 hours ago, scooterj said:

Standard fire controls are Ed Brown. The upgrade id Extreme Engineering. 

ACDF75EB-1203-410B-9FE5-3001B05015F8.jpeg

Thanks for the extra info there!  Been wanting a 2011 3gun pistol, but since that's only 25% of the matches I do, I really didn't want to pay as much as I did for my Limited one.  Was pretty excited when I saw their post about these.

Edited by fbzero

3 hours ago, fbzero said:

Thanks for the extra info there!  Been wanting a 2011 3gun pistol, but since that's only 25% of the matches I do, I really didn't want to pay as much as I did for my Limited one.  Was pretty excited when I saw their post about these.

You’re quite welcome 

CK arms would be my choice, my experience guns are built tight and have good parts. Hearing long wait times on warranty work if needed at STI, have a friend waiting over 6 months on warranty work on new DVC. CK arms responded quickly when had small issues and 

explained to me how to resolve issue, very helpful. Good  luck with your decision!

• 1 month later...

I went through this Same dilemma and went with the CK Arms Solution.  I upgraded the trigger and grip and still came in at a great price.  I bought 2 Mbx mags from shooters connection and I haven’t had a single problem with it.  I’d give Bobby a call at freedom gun works.  He’s great to deal with.  

• 1 month later...