Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Newbie to the USPSA world!

JPORTER72

Hi folks, I'm James from Wisconsin. Been shooting off and on since I was probably 12. Got pretty good at it and took the top gun award in my police academy. 

In 2010 i was rear ended and broke my back and neck. So haven't really been shooting all that much. But, now I've got the itch to get back into it. So, if I can get my technique back I should do ok. But I don't expect to break no speed records due to my injuries. I'll be hobbling instead of running. But overall I think this will be fun. As long as I can make middle of the field at local matches I'd be ecstatic. Any recommendations for factory ammo 9mm. M&P9 pro, and a M&P 9l ported performance series.

Welcome to the forums. The ported gun will put you in Open division so leave it in the safe. Quite a few people run the federal 124 grain stuff so I assume it makes minor. Chrono it to be sure.

Prepare to be humbled for a while. Once you get re acclimated to shooting you might make it to middle of the pack. 

Best of luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Yea, I purchased it before reviewing all the classes. I could use it if I could find a 5 inch non ported or threaded barrel. I still have the mp9pro 4.25 I can shoot. I'm thinking of doing limited and just be humbled for awhile. Lol.? Can I change the trigger spring? Changing internals out for the apex parts, but just not change the actual trigger shoe?

5 hours ago, JPORTER72 said:

Yea, I purchased it before reviewing all the classes. I could use it if I could find a 5 inch non ported or threaded barrel. I still have the mp9pro 4.25 I can shoot. I'm thinking of doing limited and just be humbled for awhile. Lol.? Can I change the trigger spring? Changing internals out for the apex parts, but just not change the actual trigger shoe?

you are seriously handicapping yourself shooting limited minor.  

29 minutes ago, JPORTER72 said:

How so? I can move just not fast.

Scoring is different. It costs you more points in minor when you don’t shoot alphas.

In regards to your question about changing triggers, you can do what you like in limited division.

Welcome aboard.  I hope the Department took care of you and you're still working.  No worries on the hobbling around.  I didn't start this sport until I had already trashed my knee and it didn't stop me from making "A".  Shoot me a PM if you need any advice from another LEO shooter......

1 hour ago, RangerTrace said:

Welcome aboard.  I hope the Department took care of you and you're still working.  No worries on the hobbling around.  I didn't start this sport until I had already trashed my knee and it didn't stop me from making "A".  Shoot me a PM if you need any advice from another LEO shooter......

No,  I wasn't with the department anymore when my accident occurred. I'm disabled now due to a spinal fusion and cervical fusion. So, if I run a match, I'll be done for about a week of bed rest before I can get back to the range. But have to do something 8 years of nothing is driving me crazy. 

1 hour ago, JPORTER72 said:

No,  I wasn't with the department anymore when my accident occurred. I'm disabled now due to a spinal fusion and cervical fusion. So, if I run a match, I'll be done for about a week of bed rest before I can get back to the range. But have to do something 8 years of nothing is driving me crazy. 

Welcome! If the movement is an issue, look into Steel Challenge.

2 hours ago, Steve RA said:

Go slow and shoot all A.  Don't push so hard you injure yourself worse.  You don''t have to place high to have a good time and enjoy yourself !

That's what I'm hoping getting out and just having a good time while keeping my skills honed.

2 hours ago, Steve RA said:

Go slow and shoot all A.  Don't push so hard you injure yourself worse.  You don''t have to place high to have a good time and enjoy yourself !

Yea I doubt I'll be competitive, but aren't you grouped with same ranked individuals usually?

4 hours ago, Sarge said:

Scoring is different. It costs you more points in minor when you don’t shoot alphas.

In regards to your question about changing triggers, you can do what you like in limited division.

Yea I know about the PF but aren't you grouped by that? 

5 hours ago, JPORTER72 said:

How so? I can move just not fast.

"A's" are scored 5 points for major and minor

"B's" are scored 4 points for major and 3 points for minor

"C's" are scored 4 points for major and 3 points for minor

"D's" are scored 2 points for major and 1 point for minor

Unless you can shoot 100% "A's" at speed you are giving away points to major, thus the handicap.  

metric-uspsa-1.jpg

Shoot what you want.

If you're not worried about being super competitive limited minor is fine, some people (rare) climb pretty high doing it. Seems to me people often recommend it for folks starting out anyway. In limited you can do whatever you want to the trigger, external changes are fine, however if you later decided to shoot production where your current guns might fit better you'll have to reverse it.

You are not grouped by PF just scored.

You receive a classification after four different classifiers are recorded and that allows you to compare yourself to other shooters at about your skill level easily. At majors there may be recognition for placing well in your class.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...