Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Grandmaster - Guide rod and spring recommendation

misterzr

I have a STI Grandmaster 9MM Major gun that I am looking to change the recoil master to a conventional guide rod and spring to allow better tuning. Currently shooting 124 FMJ with 8.4Gr of HS6 to make 175PF. 

What would you suggest for a guide rod and spring combination as a starting point

I second the Dawson toolless guide rod as well. Especially if you aren’t exactly sure which spring to run. 9 is definitely a good starting place but I like to have a variation of springs to start out with. They may cycle your gun but you may find the yourself more in sync with the rhythm even if you go up just a little bit or down. It’s such a preference thing. Keep the spring bags or establish a way to track and make notes once you have used them a bit. That way you won’t question their integrity going forward. 

17 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: EGW guide rod(for STI) and reverse plug with a ISMI 8lb or 9LB recoil spring. I would buy both springs to see which one you like best. All available from Shooters Connection. Thanks, Eric

+1 on the EGW. Can't go wrong with this choice. Good luck.

5 hours ago, misterzr said:

Thanks for all the input, I am going to try the EGW guide rod and a couple of different spring weights to see what works best

Hello: Get the reverse plug from EGW as well. The original STI one may have the hole in the end that is too large and may cause the spring to jam in the reverse plug. Thanks, Eric

Personally I would run a 8lb. What you are really looking for is a properly timed gun. Pretty much you want the gun to return to lock up with minimal site/dot movement. To much spring will cause the gun to dip and buck. To lite will cause the slide stay open in excess. If you have an iPhone or smart phone with solo motion you can record the action of the gun and determine what the gun is doing.

23 minutes ago, Dwampler22 said:

Personally I would run a 8lb. What you are really looking for is a properly timed gun. Pretty much you want the gun to return to lock up with minimal site/dot movement. To much spring will cause the gun to dip and buck. To lite will cause the slide stay open in excess. If you have an iPhone or smart phone with solo motion you can record the action of the gun and determine what the gun is doing.

Sounds like a great idea to check it, I will give this a try