Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I drank the Taccom Cool Aid ...

... and it tastes pretty sweet!

I wanted a Thanksgiving project for the long weekend, so I ordered a Taccom extreme bolt, tension barrel, ultralight handguard  and ULW muzzle brake to go with a side charging upper I already had. Everything arrived on Friday evening ,I assembled everything on Saturday morning and sighted it in Saturday afternoon. 

Got up this morning and shot a 6 stage USPSA match, about 175 rounds, and it ran flawlessly without a single hiccup.  I have been really happy with my JP, but the rumors of them being muzzle heavy are all true.  In the end, I removed just shy of one pound from the muzzle of the rifle and it shoots just as soft and even flatter than the JP, likely due to a more efficient brake design.   This thing was a real joy to shoot and is really accurate too.  Very impressive to throw together a box of parts and have everything work out this well.   An unexpected benefit is that the nickel boron coating on the bolt allowed me to simply wipe the bolt clean with a dry napkin after the match.  No solvents or cleaners were necessary to make it look new again.  That coating is really nice.

I want to specifically thank Tim for his patience with my questions over the past week or two, I am pretty sure I asked more than a few! 

Rside.thumb.jpg.35716bb1bc55f6db5764775c1883df97.jpgLside.thumb.jpg.0c0579c364089ea0859bb7239a7433dc.jpg

... and it tastes pretty sweet!

I wanted a Thanksgiving project for the long weekend, so I ordered a Taccom extreme bolt, tension barrel, ultralight handguard  and ULW muzzle brake to go with a side charging upper I already had. Everything arrived on Friday evening ,I assembled everything on Saturday morning and sighted it in Saturday afternoon. 

Got up this morning and shot a 6 stage USPSA match, about 175 rounds, and it ran flawlessly without a single hiccup.  I have been really happy with my JP, but the rumors of them being muzzle heavy are all true.  In the end, I removed just shy of one pound from the muzzle of the rifle and it shoots just as soft and even flatter than the JP, likely due to a more efficient brake design.   This thing was a real joy to shoot and is really accurate too.  Very impressive to throw together a box of parts and have everything work out this well.   An unexpected benefit is that the nickel boron coating on the bolt allowed me to simply wipe the bolt clean with a dry napkin after the match.  No solvents or cleaners were necessary to make it look new again.  That coating is really nice.

I want to specifically thank Tim for his patience with my questions over the past week or two, I am pretty sure I asked more than a few! 

Rside.thumb.jpg.35716bb1bc55f6db5764775c1883df97.jpgLside.thumb.jpg.0c0579c364089ea0859bb7239a7433dc.jpg

At first I thought the bolt coating was a nice selling feature, but after using it for almost 1000 rounds without cleaning in between, I fell in love with the ability to literally just wipe it off. Tim did a damn fine job with these bolts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
57 minutes ago, MikieM said:

Way to go. Your gun looks great.

If I may ask, what is the total weight, without a magazine?

It is just over 6.5 lbs, with the billet side charging upper and billet lower.  I am pretty sure that a standard upper & lower would save some weight over mine.  

What I like is that the gun balances at the front of the trigger guard, behind the mag.  You can hold it single handed, like a pistol, without feeling the muzzle pulling down.  

I have a Blitzkrieg buffer with the AR10 carbine spring.  

I never shot it without the comp.  

I did not think to weigh the barrel before I installed it into the upper, I will have to take Taccom's word for the weight.

I'm getting my parts in this week to build what will be my second TACCOM upper.  I'm currently running a TACCOM built upper (same as the OP's minus the muzzle brake) as a Steel Challenge PCC Optic rifle.  The new build will be my Steel Challenge PCC Iron rifle, with perhaps a future red dot on a QR base for USPSA games.  Great barrel! 

I've got two taccom barrels.

One is the ulwt barrel for an ar9.  Super light, flawless function and krazy accurate. Never expected that.  At 50 yards inch to inch and 1/2 group.

Have the lt weight mid comp barrel on my MPX.  Super light, having problems getting it to feed consistently and not very accurate at all.

Edited by Bigsampson
2 hours ago, Bigsampson said:

I've got two taccom barrels.

One is the ulwt barrel for an ar9.  Super light, flawless function and krazy accurate. Never expected that.  At 5 yards inch to inch and 1/2 group.

Have the lt weight mid comp barrel on my MPX.  Super light, having problems getting it to feed consistently and not very accurate at all.

And have you called to talk to me about your issue? hmmmmmm? If we don't know.....we can't make it right  :)

Actually, I have been in contact with ILWT. Figured since it was their barrel, they would be the best source of support.

Not a knock on Taccom, just that ILWT made the heart of the system.

They have been super helpful and I think we may have the feed issues figured out.  Will see.

I don't think it will ever be as accurate as the AR9 barrel.  Never seen a pistol barrel on a pistol or carbine that I could hit coke cans at 100 yards every time with.

Many years ago a magazine got a .44 mag revolver with something stupid like a 14" barrel and decided to experiment on it.  They did accuracy and velocity testing on it, cut off an inch at a time, crowned the barrel, and ran the same tests every time.  Accuracy remained constant until the recoil got so bad that the Ransom Rest could not hold the gun without the grip slipping.  I think they got down to 2 or 3 inches before things really went South. 

Kind of like that warm Spring day when I decided to take a nap in the front yard and my kid ran over me with the lawn mower. I was never quite the same in the eyes of his Mother, after that.

Accuracy is no good without control-ability, and versa vice-a. I believe Tim's 16 inch Tension barrel is the way to go, and if it isn't, I'll do something else. :rolleyes:

While we're editing, let me just say that there is more than one way to skin a cat when it comes to the equipment we use. I, for one, am glad that Taccom is leading the way in innovative products that can help us de-fur those felines.

Psssst....Tim, I'm needing a new CF hand guard.

Edited by MikieM

I don't regret getting it at all, but you have to understand what you are getting.  This is not the Ultra light weight barrel, this is a full 16" barrel and weighs considerably more.  It is pretty comparable in weight to a pencil thin 16" barrel, but the aluminum shroud gives it the rigidity of a bull barrel that would weigh a LOT more.  When you understand that, you will be very happy with the barrel.  If you think that this barrel is as light as the ULW barrel, you will be disappointed. 

2 minutes ago, L9X25 said:

I don't regret getting it at all, but you have to understand what you are getting.  This is not the Ultra light weight barrel, this is a full 16" barrel and weighs considerably more.  It is pretty comparable in weight to a pencil thin 16" barrel, but the aluminum shroud gives it the rigidity of a bull barrel that would weigh a LOT more.  When you understand that, you will be very happy with the barrel.  If you think that this barrel is as light as the ULW barrel, you will be disappointed. 

Agreed.