Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is an ambi safety needed?

tkane

I am looking at getting into a 2011 and am wondering if a strictly USPSA Limited gun would benefit from an ambi thumb safety, or will a single sided work just fine?

Edited by tkane

I'm assuming you're right handed.  Some right handed shooters like them because they can still use the safety when shooting WHO.

I personally only single sided safeties on my 2011's.  My grip is pretty high and the right side safety digs into the knuckle of my trigger finger, even if it has been shaved down.

9 minutes ago, TennJeep1618 said:

I'm assuming you're right handed.  Some right handed shooters like them because they can still use the safety when shooting WHO.

I personally only single sided safeties on my 2011's.  My grip is pretty high and the right side safety digs into the knuckle of my trigger finger, even if it has been shaved down.

Yes I am right handed, and I have noticed the same thing when gripping the gun. 

My limited and open guns have ambi safeties, but my SS gun doesn't. The only reason for this is that the limited and open guns came with ambi safeties, and I've never felt that I needed one on my SS gun. 

I think I got my strong hand to weak hand switch from Brian's book. By the time you can switch, the pistol is already pretty high in front of you. Safety off with strong hand thumb just before weak hand slides onto the gun.

• 2 months later...
On 10/4/2017 at 12:10 AM, Eureka1911 said:

I've never had an issue with mine in a match. I like having it for the odd stage that requires weak hand. I like having the safety on while switching hands.

USPSA often requires weak hand shooting on classifiers as does IDPA.  You need to run a thumb over safety grip on those, just like your strong hand shooting.  Not to mention, if you ever decide to sell your pistol, a lefty might want to buy it.........yes I'm a lefty.