Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chip McCormick .45ACP 10-Rounders - short enough for Limited 10?

matteekay

8 minutes ago, matteekay said:

Does anyone know if the Chip McCormick 10-round Power Mags meet the length requirement for USPSA Limited 10 (6.742” / 171.25mm)? 

Thanks!

Yup. The ones that I have measures out to 5 & 13/16 along the back. That said, I never used them as the follower can rock forward on the last round and not let the mag drop free. I found Wilson's better all around. They are about the same length also.

I have 2 Springfield armory pistols. The problem that I describe is a mag issue. The metal follower can rock forward and catch the front of the mag well and not drop. It didn't happen very often but it happened. I mentioned that to a friend who was shooting an old Colt pistol. He said he had never had that problem with his power mags but on the very next stage he had one he had to pull out. He blamed me. This was all prior to the Single Stack division being formed. Maybe things have improved but since you had to ask about the length, I was figuring you hadn't bought yet. I had good luck with the Wilsons for the 2 years or so that I shot L-10.

Good luck,

Chuck

The Wilson 10-round mags are great, but there is a potential problem loading with a closed slide.  They require a definite shove to seat properly.  I cured that problem by substituting Tripp Hybrid followers.  Use the Wilson spring.  The Hybrid follower is concave, where the Wilson is convex.  It gets you to the point where a normal insertion latches the mag in place.  Once I did that, I have had zero problems with feeding, insertion, or mag dropping.

I have used several of the McCormick 10 round mags and have nothing but good things to say about them. I have not had issues with the follower going forward, I used a Kimber Custom in .45 for years before I got a STI .45 Eagle for L10, which is far easier to reload with the double stack mags. I have had to replace the springs, but that is plain normal service for the wear and tear we put them through.

On 9/20/2017 at 6:20 PM, zzt said:

The Wilson 10-round mags are great, but there is a potential problem loading with a closed slide.  They require a definite shove to seat properly.  I cured that problem by substituting Tripp Hybrid followers.  Use the Wilson spring.  The Hybrid follower is concave, where the Wilson is convex.  It gets you to the point where a normal insertion latches the mag in place.  Once I did that, I have had zero problems with feeding, insertion, or mag dropping.

This is exactly the info I was hoping to find. I have the same problem with the stock wilson mag and followers having a difficult time reloading on the fly with a closed slide. I was looking hard at the Tripp followers...now I'm going to order them.

i have 5 of the McCormick mags, but they are a royal pain to take down and clean during matches. Maybe there's some magic trick I don't know about, but for what I know they are a pita!

23 minutes ago, nickbfishn said:

i have 5 of the McCormick mags, but they are a royal pain to take down and clean during matches. Maybe there's some magic trick I don't know about, but for what I know they are a pita!

Good to know. Do they function well for you?

I can't definitively answer that question. In each match where I've used the mags I've had failure to feed problems multiple times. However, these are the only mags I've tried so I don't know if it's a gun issue or a mag issue.

All I can say with certainty is that taking them down to clean is an event.

I now have a pair of wilson 10 round mags that I'll be testing this weekend in a match and I hope to get a tripp hybrid follower to try as well.  

We we shall see...

Edited by nickbfishn

You need to be sure that the spring is installed properly, that the shorter loop of the spring is hooked into the little "clip" on the follower.  This is designed to keep the follower from protruding and and dragging on the frame.

29 minutes ago, Steve RA said:

You need to be sure that the spring is installed properly, that the shorter loop of the spring is hooked into the little "clip" on the follower.  This is designed to keep the follower from protruding and and dragging on the frame.

Yup, and it works most of the time.

chip_mag_10.jpg

I picked up one CMC to try and it's exhibiting the exact behavior described here. The Wilson 10-rounder I have doesn't hang up at all.

I see a lot of people advocating using the Wilson mags with Tripp followers. Is there anything wrong with just getting the Tripp 10-round mags that already have them?